• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyside: New stations planned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PR1Berske

Established Member
No there wouldn't.
Yes there would.

No HS2 means millions freed up for regional priorities, such as Skelmersdale. It is certain beyond doubt that Merseyside would currently be benefiting from investment were it not for London Euston's new railway (aka HS2)

WatcherZero

Established Member
What you mean beyond four tracking a short section, electrification, total fleet replacement, renewal of city centre tracks, platform lengthening of the main station and more?

That's like a what have the Romans ever done for us? argument.

Established Member
Can you please clarify the exact location of Deeside Industrial Park that is mentioned in the list, said to be within the county of Merseyside

I've removed it from the list, seeing as my Geography skills were affected by my recent sleepless nights.

urbophile

Established Member
How many of those proposals are likely to materialise? Maghull North is clearly on the way; some of the others seem as if they might go ahead; others seem like wishful thinking.

By the way, where is/ will be Town Meadow?

Ormskirk to Preston is outside Merseyside too. Whereas the Halton curve, while outside the county boundary, is part of the Liverpool City Region for which the soon-to-be-elected Mayor will have responsibility.

Established Member
How many of those proposals are likely to materialise? Maghull North is clearly on the way; some of the others seem as if they might go ahead; others seem like wishful thinking.

Ormskirk to Preston is outside Merseyside too. Whereas the Halton curve, while outside the county boundary, is part of the Liverpool City Region for which the soon-to-be-elected Mayor will have responsibility.

Vauxhall station looks likely, especially with the planned regeneration in the area. As for the others, I'm not so sure. I would say a station at Town Meadow could be likely at some stage though.

Town Meadow would be on the West Kirby branch close to Moreton.

Fair enough, thank you. I'll adjust the criteria of the list and re post it.

PR1Berske

Established Member
I thought I'd revive this thread and have an updated list of rail projects in the Merseyside area. For clarification, I've used this as a reference.

Confirmed:
  • 52 new four car EMUs for Merseyrail. (2020-21)
  • Refurbishment of Liverpool Lime Street. (2017-18)

Proposed:
  • Construction of Headbolt Lane station.
  • Construction of Maghull North station. (2018) - Planning permission submitted.
  • Construction of Town Meadow station.
  • Construction of a station in Halewood.
  • Construction of a station in Vauxhall.
  • Construction of stations to serve the universities and Smithdown Road area.
  • Electrification of the Kirkby to Wigan Line.
  • Electrification of the Ormskirk to Preston Line.
  • Extension of the Northern Line from Liverpool South Parkway to Liverpool John Lennon Airport, Runcorn and Speke.
  • Extension of the Kirkby Branch to Skelmersdale.
  • Joining the Canada Dock Branch to the Merseyrail network.
  • Reopening of Carr Mill station.
  • Reopening of Liverpool St James station.

If there's anything I've missed, please let me know. I'll update this list as and when more is known.

A very useful post, thank you

Established Member
Reposted from above to cover the whole plan, now also colour coded.

Northern Line/Wirral Line/City Line/Other

Underway:
  • Reopening of the Halton Curve. (2018)

Confirmed:
  • 52 new four car EMUs for Merseyrail. (2020-21)
  • Refurbishment of Liverpool Lime Street. (2017-18)

Proposed:
  • Construction of Headbolt Lane station.
  • Construction of Maghull North station. (2018) - Planning permission granted.
  • Construction of Town Meadow station.
  • Construction of Warrington West station.
  • Construction of a station in Beechwood.
  • Construction of a station at Burscough Bridge.
  • Construction of a station at the Deeside Industrial Park.
  • Construction of a station in Halewood.
  • Construction of a station in Vauxhall.
  • Construction of a station in Woodchurch.
  • Construction of stations to serve the universities and Smithdown Road area.
  • Electrification of the Borderlands Line.
  • Electrification of the Kirkby to Wigan Line.
  • Electrification of the Ormskirk to Preston Line.
  • Extension of the Northern Line from Liverpool South Parkway to Liverpool John Lennon Airport, Runcorn and Speke.
  • Extension of the Kirkby Branch to Skelmersdale.
  • Joining the Canada Dock Branch to the Merseyrail network.
  • Reopening of Carr Mill station.
  • Reopening of Liverpool St James station.

If there's anything I've missed, please let me know. I'll update this list as and when more is known.

Last edited:

Statto

Established Member

Town Meadow, most likely to be around where Millhouse Lane goes by the railway line, space to build platforms & a ticket office.

PR1Berske

Established Member
"Deeside Industrial Park" unlikely to be also known as "Parc Diwydiannol Glannau Dyfrdwy"....Or not, would be great if it was :p

daikilo

Established Member
"Deeside Industrial Park" unlikely to be also known as "Parc Diwydiannol Glannau Dyfrdwy"....Or not, would be great if it was :p

Why not, just shift the border a bit (and get some European funding if you're quick). Mind, wouldn't be in "Merseyside" then, not that it is anyway.

Last edited:

po8crg

Isn't there a major upgrade to Newton-le-Willows station going on at the moment?

WatcherZero

Established Member
New ticket office and toilets to complement the recently finished expansion of car parking spaces.

Render:

nlw-new-station-building-2-rsz.jpg

Statto

Established Member
Isn't there a major upgrade to Newton-le-Willows station going on at the moment?

Not what i've seen going though there, there are plans though.

Just to add the proposed station at Woodchurch will benefit those travelling Southwards on the Borderline, that station is pointless for travelling to Heswall-Birkenhead & Liverpool, when there's a more frequent & direct bus service available, similar situation to Upton.

Statto

Established Member
Yes and I'm sure already discussed earlier in this thread somewhere along with the plans of the revised station and car park.

Isn't there plans for buses to stop at that side of the station, with new entrance to boot, the current entrance can be awkward to get to from the current bus stops, with cobbles going half way up the hill to just past the pub, can be lethal in snowy weather.

Holly

Just to add the proposed station at Woodchurch will benefit those travelling Southwards on the Borderline, that station is pointless for travelling to Heswall-Birkenhead & Liverpool, when there's a more frequent & direct bus service available, similar situation to Upton.
Agreed, new station at Woodchurch was proposed with, and made sense with, extension of 3rd rail electrification to Woodchurch. Just a very few miles.

Then the electrification proposal was greatly extended (to Wrexham) so it could be cancelled as too expensive.

It is an awkward one - the Bidston-Wrexham line is (1) Too rural for 3rd rail to make sense (2) So slow that OHLE 25kVAC is technological overkill (3) Too many miles for Metrolink technology 750vDC OHLE trams to offer sufficient comfort. New diesel rolling stock would help, then Birkenhead North to Wrexham could be reinstated thus improving connections with Merseyrail.

Steelwheels

Isn't there plans for buses to stop at that side of the station, with new entrance to boot, the current entrance can be awkward to get to from the current bus stops, with cobbles going half way up the hill to just past the pub, can be lethal in snowy weather.

Yes you are quite correct that buses will serve a purpose built interchange (similar to the type which has been constructed at Old Roan station), this is due to the fact that the existing stops are situated on a busy road with bend positioned not far away, and of course some clever motorists really observe the 30 MPH speed limit (NOT!).;)

Dixie

It is an awkward one - the Bidston-Wrexham line is (1) Too rural for 3rd rail to make sense (2) So slow that OHLE 25kVAC is technological overkill (3) Too many miles for Metrolink technology 750vDC OHLE trams to offer sufficient comfort. New diesel rolling stock would help, then Birkenhead North to Wrexham could be reinstated thus improving connections with Merseyrail.

A case for the tri-mode Class 319 then. 3rd rail around the loop to Bidston and then diesel on to Wrexham. Would it fit in the loop tunnels OK though?

Statto

Established Member
No chance of any AC units on Merseyrail unless the pantograph is removed, as the current 507/508s which are DC, just about fit in the tunnels & that includes the link as well as the loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.