• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrolink Job Fair - 27 Feb 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Glad I didn't go now after reading this thread.

It seems as though it was more of a put your name down for Job alerts than actual jobs being given out with applications. So chances are these jobs will go online.

It also seems to be more of a 'Look at how good we are inviting job seekers along to put their name down on a list'

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Silv1983

You've just experienced the modern day 'job fair'. With the current economic and employment climate the way it is (and has been for a decade) - there is no reason any company or employer would go out of their way to try and secure interest from potential employees. All the hard work falls into the lap of the candidate. Why? Because all companies can afford to sit back, relax, and let the applications fly in, in the thousands.
Reminds me of a graduate job fair in 2006 when I wanted to be a policeman. I went, as some of you have done - in a suit armed with a shimmering CV - only to be told: "This is what happens IF we start recruiting and IF your application goes all the way. Keep checking the website." Pointless. They don't even record your name to show you're interested. Feels as if there is some kind of legal obligation for companies to prove they're getting "out there" in the community.

Best of Luck however for the future!

Alpha Tango

I too attended yesterday's "Metrolink Recruitment Fair" I made an effort to say the least, day off work, 38 mile round trip, suit, CV, certificates, drivers licence, passport. I arrived at 11:00 expecting to at least sit down and have a personal chat maybe with someone from the company. Instead like everyone else I was asked to fill in my details on a small piece of paper, I handed in my CV and this was stapled onto the piece of paper. I spotted a handful of other fellas like me who had made an effort however the majority looked like they had been sent there unwillingly straight from the job centre. I was only there 15 minutes. I was surprised at the amount of people who had turned up, it was absolutely packed out. It would be interesting as to how many attended this event as there must have been thousands. To those who attended don't be too disheartened, remember you have to be in it to win it.

jamess115

To me this was not a job fair. First of all, a job fair generally involves a number of companies recruiting. Then, at the very least, a candidate is given the opportunity to sit down and discuss their CV and show why they would be a good fit for the role - importantly, from a company representative with the power to recruit!

It was so unorganised and unprofessional and worst of all misleading. I would say I was there for a grand total of 90 seconds.

wayme

I also attended and was less then impressed. I dressed smartly, read up on the company, had my cv in hand and had taken the day off work and travelled from Leeds especially for the job fair.

When I got there it was quite busy, quite hard to speak to someone and when I did catch someone they weren't very helpful and seemed eager to just thrust the form into my hand.

The main annoyance for me is that there were alot of people there who didnt seem to be seriously interested in the positions available. Many were there in jeans and t-shirts and alot of people couldnt speak English very well. It annoyed me because I had done lots of research etc. and my form was put in the same pile as people who obviously have no chance, and not really any desire to do the job!

I could have filled out the blooming form online!!!!!!!

Beveridges

Established Member
This year the Job Centre have putting more and more pressure on the unemployed to go for jobs every week, which is why you'll get a lot turning up to these events who are not arsed about getting the job. THey turn up so they can continue receiving their benefits and make it "appear" like they are looking for work so that the Job Centre does not reduce their benefits.

Louby

This year the Job Centre have putting more and more pressure on the unemployed to go for jobs every week, which is why you'll get a lot turning up to these events who are not arsed about getting the job. THey turn up so they can continue receiving their benefits and make it "appear" like they are looking for work so that the Job Centre does not reduce their benefits.

Very correct , as that is the area I am leaving to become a trainee driver ( DWP not the dole!) ... Just waiting for the call :D

PEP

Has anyone heard anything on this since submitting their slip of paper?

hughavinalaf

Has anyone heard anything on this since submitting their slip of paper?

No,neither am I holding my breath......

I believe this was nothing more than a PR exercise involving numerous agencies so as a few boxes could be ticked.There was an article in the MEN the other day which stated this event was a huge success and vacancies would go on line some time in the near future......

I'm still annoyed at the amateurishness of this company,the day was an insult to those who genuinely desired employment and made a real effort to make an initial impression and gain such.

TRACY TRAIN

I had a request for my CV (despite handing one in on the day) as I also filled out a form for planner. That was 3 weeks ago; I've since emailed to check they had received it without a response. I've heard nothing about trainee tram drivers positions :(

PEP

Received an Email last Friday with application form for LRV Driver to be completed by 04/04.

Alpha Tango

Yesterday I received a letter from Metrolink, I have been invited to attend an assessment day/interview on 03/04/14 for LRV Driver.

hughavinalaf

Good to see people are getting replies.Does anyone know if PSR interview invertations are being sent out?

302PS

For you lot moaning seems it was worth while attending, I emailed to ask if it was essential to attend or will they go online as normal

This was the response

Yes it was essential to attend the recruitment fair.* We will not be sending out application forms now for at least 9 months.* Please keep your eye out for any vacancy advertisements.

Alpha Tango

Anyone else on here attending tomorrow's assessment day/interview for LRV Driver ?

hughavinalaf

Anyone else on here attending tomorrow's assessment day/interview for LRV Driver ?

Hi mate,best of luck with that.

I'm waiting on the PSR recruitment,i'm thinking,and hoping....... they are recruiting the drivers first?

Maybe you could do a little digging if you get the chance...;)

Maf81-123

Anyone got any feedback from the interview / assessment day??
I attended the assessment day yesterday, you have to do two psychometric tests in the morning. They are both very difficult only 5 out of the 9 attendees passed them myself included. The other 4 were not required for the rest of the day. In the afternoon there is a simulator test, interview and boarding the tram and tannoy announcement test. The interview was also quite daunting with several questions. Overall I think I did ok but not brilliant, waiting for a phone call today to see if I am successful.

Alpha Tango

I too passed the psychometric tests and enjoyed the whole day, interview,tram simulator, written test and PA announcement. I felt happy with my performance and like everyone else only had to wait 1 day for the news. Unfortunately I did not secure a position on the next training course. I was told the standard of candidates was extremely high, I scored very highly in the psychometric tests, very highly in the tram simulator but other candidates scored better than me in the interview and I was pipped at the post. That's me out of the running for 6 months but after this time I was told to check the web site as they highly recommend that I re-apply.

Alpha Tango

I'm still waiting to hear from Northern having last week attended an interview for conductor, 2 interviews in a week :D

Maf81-123

Same here I unfortunately did not get a position, same reason as yourself. Was told to reapply again after six months. But to be honest I wasn't 100% sure if it was the role for me after all the tests. Think I may just stick to being a bus driver or a w*****r we are otherwise known as. Congratulations to those who got the position.

tpc

Same here I unfortunately did not get a position, same reason as yourself. Was told to reapply again after six months. But to be honest I wasn't 100% sure if it was the role for me after all the tests. Think I may just stick to being a bus driver or a w*****r we are otherwise known as. Congratulations to those who got the position.

where are u based pal? im also a bus driver but havent heard anything since attending the open day, did you enclose a cv or just fill out the blue form?

hughavinalaf

where are u based pal? im also a bus driver but havent heard anything since attending the open day, did you enclose a cv or just fill out the blue form?

Given the amateurish and farcical nature of that event,i can understand your concern at missing out.I am also waiting on an invite after submitting both their form and my CV.
I contacted their HR about 2 weeks ago to be told they were working their way through 3000 applicants and I may hear something in due course...... I simply wanted to know if they were even in receipt of my 'application' so their generic reply was not exactly info that has put my mind at rest.

I may contact them again in the next couple of days.

wayme

Given the amateurish and farcical nature of that event,i can understand your concern at missing out.I am also waiting on an invite after submitting both their form and my CV.
I contacted their HR about 2 weeks ago to be told they were working their way through 3000 applicants and I may hear something in due course...... I simply wanted to know if they were even in receipt of my 'application' so their generic reply was not exactly info that has put my mind at rest.

I may contact them again in the next couple of days.

3000?! Wow, slim chances all round then!

hughavinalaf

3000?! Wow, slim chances all round then!

Going off what I witnessed present themselves on the day,i would be surprised if there are as many as 500 worth pursuing.I'm not trying to sound elitist with that statement,however,it was clear that a large proportion had made no effort to impress and/or were there under duress.

It really was a very strange method of initial recruitment.

wayme

Going off what I witnessed present themselves on the day,i would be surprised if there are as many as 500 worth pursuing.I'm not trying to sound elitist with that statement,however,it was clear that a large proportion had made no effort to impress and/or were there under duress.

It really was a very strange method of initial recruitment.

I don't think you're elitist, I would say that's a very fair evaluation of the day!

hughavinalaf

Thank you for attending the recent recruitment fair and registering your interest in employment with Metrolink.

We were inundated with registration forms and therefore would like to advise you that the process may take a little longer than we anticipated.

The recruitment process is ongoing as we are recruiting throughout the year and we will endeavour to have responded to all registration forms by the end of 2014.

We can appreciate this may be frustrating for you but we would ask for your patience in this matter.

:shock:

Maf81-123

I live in harpurhey, at the open day I handed in my cv with the blue slip they asked to fill in. I received a letter through the post 10 days before the assessment day. We was told at the assessment that they had around 1000 applications alone for the LRV drivers positions. So they would not be advertising any positions for 9-12 months as they had so many already. The positions at the moment are for old Trafford depot also and not queens road. They were looking to have 10 drivers on the training course starting in May. The recruitment is all year round so you may hear in a few months for the next assessment days. I would still keep contacting them as it's showing your interest. Maybe attach your cv in an email anyway to add to your blue slip they would have. I know from the open day some of the metrolink staff were telling applicants they did not need a cv and if they wanted to add anything to write it on the back off the slip,which I did myself until I spoke to a driver there who was stapling CVs to slips. Hope you have some luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.