• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Minilad goes to Brussels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minilad

Established Member
Well I have finally dipped my toe into the murky world of Foreign loco bashing!
Although I have travelled on foreign trains many times this was the first time I have gone to the continent specifically to bash locos.

Having had conversations with aficionados I decided Brussels was the ideal location for a first attempt. Easy to get to. Easily do-able for a day trip. Plenty of proper trains.

So. Yesterday was the day.

0400 alarm call and a drive to Leamington for the 0541 to Marylebone. I could have gone on a later one but this gave me options should there be a SNAFU
168107 did the honours. Arrival at MYB was on time at 0701 so a had a stroll to St Pancras arriving around 0750 in plenty of time for check in.
373221/222 took me to Brussels. The interior of E* is looking quite tired and dated IMHO and the breakfast in standard premier was nothing to write home about but the service was efficient and it was an uneventful journey.
On time arrival at Brussels Midi at 1205 local. So I had a quick wonder around to get my bearings and purchased a Brussels Jump Card. 24 hours for 7.50 euros.

Then the fun started. Basically I was going to be a tunnel rat for 7 hours. Backwards and forwards between Midi - Central - Nord which is basically 90% tunnel. Still it wasn't the scenery I was here for! It was the locos, and I found them. Lots and lots of them. It's like taking candy from a baby. Up and down and you never have to wait long for a loco hauled to show up. It's how bashing should be. Yes there are plenty of units around too but I didn't bother with them.
With a stop for a bite to eat around 15.00 and stopping at around 18.45 to check in for my train back to Blighty I managed 27 different locos on 23 journeys. Some are top and tailed hence the discrepancy.

Here is what I had during the course of the day
Class 13
1354, 1349
Class 18
1835, 1832, 1822, 1828, 1857, 1819, 1806, 1803, 1842 and 1871
Class 19
1907, 1909, 1921, 1906 and 1919
Class 21
2149, 2138, 2148, 2141 and 2135
Class 27
2732, 2734, 2725, 2721 and 2726

Most trains are in the hands of the newer 13s 18s and 19s but there are still plenty of 21s and 27s around particularly in the peak.

All that was left was the journey home. 373215/216 took me back to St Pancras. The evening light meal was a bit better than the breakfast, a nice cheese platter. Once again arrival was on time at 2105 allowing me plenty of time to catch the 2145 out of MYB back to Leamington with 168001
I finally arrived home at 2345 knackered but happy!!

I would recommend a trip to Brussels to anyone who likes their loco hauled trains it's like taking candy from a baby if you want an introduction to foreign bashing. OK not much in terms of mileage but plenty of red pen action!

Go to
https://www.flickr.com/photos/xcdrichard/
For a few pics of the day

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CC 72100

Established Member
While not from the day, nice photo of the two silver 68s at Marylebone :)

davetheguard

Established Member
You've got more stamina than me!

Did you have any time left for one of those excellent Belgian beers?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I would recommend trying Jupiler as an introduction into how good Belgian stuff is, I love the stuff!

I'd say less than 90% is in tunnels beween Midi and Nord, nearer 65-70% from memory. I love the 21s, just so hellfire! 18s and 19s are good for modern locos too in all fairness.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Kristofferson:2262349 said:
Assuming most of these were diesels, it sounds like a fun time!

All electrics on Minilad's list. Some of them are hellfire, 21s are a lot like 87s for noise. Search for "SNCB 2102 Brussels" on YouTube and you should find, amongst others, my short video of it thrashing away.

Of course, it is a shame the 55s aren't used on passenger workings, they sound awesome just on idle!

Minilad

Established Member
Assuming most of these were diesels, it sounds like a fun time!
]

All electrics but I have never been fussy about the whole diesel/electric thing. I will take anything loco hauled (except duffs) In fact my second favourite loco type is an 87.
But yeah it was a great day. Tiring but good fun and nice to have such an abundance of proper trains to travel on

Established Member
]

All electrics but I have never been fussy about the whole diesel/electric thing. I will take anything loco hauled (except duffs) In fact my second favourite loco type is an 87.
But yeah it was a great day. Tiring but good fun and nice to have such an abundance of proper trains to travel on

you a wagon(Peaks) basher by any chance Minilad, if so I have felt exactly the same about wagons for neons too?
I'm a fan of 87's too, however I miss the 81 and 85's of the ole electric fleet too.

Last edited:

Minilad

Established Member
you a wagon(Peaks) basher by any chance Minilad, if so I have felt exactly the same about wagons for neons too?
I'm a fan of 87's too, however I miss the 81 and 85's of the ole electric fleet too.

Good god no!!!

Started in the late 70s. Firstly just a line in the book merchant and 87s but then I discovered Deltics! Pretty much lived on them during their final years. Once they had gone moved on to 50s although became a bit of a red pen man.
Gave up around the mid to late eighties but rediscovered my passion for railways again in the late 90s. Since then it's been 87s until they were killed off HSTs and 91s mainly now. Along with the odd Diesel gala. Really want to make more of an effort getting some foreign stuff in hence my trip to Brussels

gazthomas

Established Member
Reminds me of doing jumps from Llandudno Junction to Colwyn Bay in the 80's! Though no tunnels!

Status
Not open for further replies.