• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML Electrification: progress updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yindee8191

Went for a walk today to the Barford Close Footbridge in Wigston and the TTCs all have their arms on up to the one just north of the bridge - guessing this means that most of the steelwork is in until the gap just south of the Blaby Road overbridge.

Edit: forgot to add pictures, whoops! IMG_4906.jpegIMG_4905.jpeg

Last edited:

PJM

There are just a few gaps around/just before South Wigston in the steel work as observed today on a north bound train. I understand that 100% of piles are in place. Very close to completion, maybe 10 or 12 catenary runs to finish.

londonmidland

Established Member
There are just a few gaps around/just before South Wigston in the steel work as observed today on a north bound train. I understand that 100% of piles are in place. Very close to completion, maybe 10 or 12 catenary runs to finish.
Said steel work is just north of the compound, at the Balby road overbridge, placed on the ground awaiting to be installed. Saw it as I was heading south on a 222 on Saturday.

PJM

Said steel work is just north of the compound, at the Balby road overbridge, placed on the ground awaiting to be installed. Saw it as I was heading south on a 222 on Saturday.
Yes exactly.

Looks as though the steel work is up. Observed on the way north. Nothing left in the compound.

Last edited:

Edvid

Established Member
Rail Engineer published a piece on the project in their November/December 2023 issue. With regard to OLE125 specifically...

SPL is to support the proposed six electric trains per hour and line speed increases to 125mph (or greater than the maximum [100mph] an electric multiple unit currently runs on the old Mk3b equipment). That scope forms enhanced renewal, and SPL is proposing to develop a new overhead line system to support more trains and enhanced line speed. To offer greater resilience, this will be done by increasing contact wire tension and changing to 120mm contact wire from the worn 107mm conductor and changing the catenary from the existing Mk3b AWAC to the new preferred BzII.
BIB is interesting as Modern Railways (June 2023 - see post #6315) stated the existing Mk3b contact/catenary wires would be retained.

(Are the wires re-tensioned during the replacement of balance weight anchors?)

PJM

From a northbound train. South Wigston and portal segments I presume waiting installation over the upcoming possession 25-27 Dec.

IMG_3922.JPGIMG_3923.JPGIMG_3930.JPG

59CosG95

Established Member
Rail Engineer published a piece on the project in their November/December 2023 issue. With regard to OLE125 specifically...

BIB is interesting as Modern Railways (June 2023 - see post #6315) stated the existing Mk3b contact/catenary wires would be retained.

(Are the wires re-tensioned during the replacement of balance weight anchors?)
I don't think so immediately; videos I've seen certainly seem to show it remaining as 11/11kN for the time being.
My hunch is that the anti-falls will eventually tension the catenaries alone (with some weights removed to make it 12kN rather than 22kN (i.e. 11+11)), with a second anti-fall wheel added to tension the 120mm² contact later.

On the Up Fast, the 'flying tail' arrangement muddles things at the minute - SPL would need to remove said arrangements and replace them with more catenary & contact in order to make the wire runs independently tensioned.
This does of course assume that anchor portals with 12/15kN Tensorex arrangements aren't in the offing.

38Cto15E

I see that the Shadow Transport Minister has a constituency in Sheffield, if Labour get in at the next election maybe she will prioratise electrification to Sheffield, this would be near to 70 years after Manchester, but hey ho!

Killingworth

Established Member
I see that the Shadow Transport Minister has a constituency in Sheffield, if Labour get in at the next election maybe she will prioratise electrification to Sheffield, this would be near to 70 years after Manchester, but hey ho!

But we were told we'd have full electrification all the way to Sheffield by 31.12.2030. She shouldn't need to do a thing.

On the other hand, a rushed cheap job may not be in our long term interest. 3 tracking from Dore into Sheffield and significant platform and track remodelling at both ends of Sheffield station will be expensive.

QSK19

I doubt she would have much influence over the Treasury - we know which one would win that battle. And in any case, the major political parties are all the same - just because another party gets in doesn’t mean everything will magically come true. I doubt Labour getting in would change a thing.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
For today's problems, please use the following thread:

Edvid

Established Member
Here's a LinkedIn post on some of the Christmas engineering works south of Bedford - specifically the renewal of Grahame Park OHNS.

Attachments

• 1703598303060.jpg
    1703598303060.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 145
  • 1703598303319.jpg
    1703598303319.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 144

Snow1964

Established Member
I see in post above, it refers to switch feeds of neutral sections, I always thought these were short dummy sections of non-conductor to create a section break that are unenergised so that pantograph can maintain height without drawing power.

Is it a new idea being able to power the neutral part, or is it some electrical short form description of a switchable bus line linking either side of a neutral, but not the actual neutral. Sorry if this sounds silly, but always assumed neutral section is permanently unenergised.

Edvid

Established Member
My understanding is there is a switchable bus line within the adjacent switchgear cabinet, connected to the OLE on both sides of the neutral and the 132kV distribution lines (there may be another one for the ATF). In normal operation the bus line circuit breakers are configured to direct the supply from Borehamwood ATFS past the neutral.

59CosG95

Established Member

The Crossover linking the Up Fast & Down Slow at Kettering North Junction has now been wired up. My guess is that any section insulators in that wire run have now been installed, along with the one in the DF/UF crossover in the same area, and the Permanently Earthed Section north of Kettering North SATS.

PJM

Er, confused, week 37 financial year is December 14th- 20th 2023. Week 37 from the beginning of the year is/was September 11th-17th 2023 or 9th September 2024

snowball

Established Member
Er, confused, week 37 financial year is December 14th- 20th 2023. Week 37 from the beginning of the year is/was September 11th-17th 2023 or 9th September 2024
I think Edvid perhaps meant to refer to post #6641 - his link points there though he calls it #6640. Post #6641 was the first to mention week 37 and correctly interprets that as December. The Enhancements Delivery Plan is not ussually good for fine-grained, up-to-date detail on completion dates.

PJM

Northbound train from Market Harborough. Continuous wires now from the station to approximately Kilby Bridge on the Up side so I presume also on the Down side but unable to confirm because it is usually dark on my return! All metalwork looks to be in place.

Edvid

Established Member
Took a ride yesterday and so far the BedPan BWA conversions are all north of Westoning, on the down side. The OLE Cubed portals near Westoning have recently been registered as well.

I think Edvid perhaps meant to refer to post #6641 - his link points there though he calls it #6640. Post #6641 was the first to mention week 37 and correctly interprets that as December. The Enhancements Delivery Plan is not ussually good for fine-grained, up-to-date detail on completion dates.

Au contraire, I linked 6640 (just rechecked). Which was also quoted within 6641 right below it, hence the confusion and mistaken reference to Week 37.

Though now it's been mentioned, perhaps the crossover wiring and PES at Kettering North were the (delayed) Week 37 activities since they represent the first K2W OLE connection to live equipment...

LBMPSB

This makes a lot of sense, as it often feels like the TBROC controlled part, which is really just St. Pancras platforms and perhaps half a dozen signals, is somewhat of a poor relation. The person operating workstation looking after it presumably has a lot more to do besides, so isn’t able to fully focus on it.

Another issue is that the GSMR invariably patches you through to the Ashford HS1 workstation if used in or close to St Pancras - although that may well continue post migration to West Hampstead. It can be absolutely infuriating!

AIUI a lot of it comes down to cost, and there’s now no real pressure to do it as the scheme to role out ETCS has been indefinitely delayed/kicked into the long grass in most locations.
Makes no sense at all in this day and age of modern signalling. It is only St Pancras High Level (East Midlands four Platforms) that returns to West Hampstead. The Low Level (TBROC Core Central) remains at TBROC, and HS1 stays at Ashford IECC. Sense, doesn't enter into it. St Pan HL has been operated by TBROC for over seven years with no operating issues between WH & TBROC or even Controls, TOCs or station with the Signallers being able to fully focus on St Pan HL as generally the Core Section, an up and down railway doesn't require too much attention and when there is, Signallers are experienced enough to cope with both. Besides St Pan HL is only four platforms, doesn't take much attention to run it. The TOC doesn't help by insisting on keep right platforms. If we did that at Charing Cross, six platforms, the station would grind to a halt.

Makes no difference where an area is controlled from when you have a workstation environment. Often Signallers will talk between workstations on operating floor by telephone because it is just not practical to shout at your colleagues on other workstations. So picking up a phone to talk to another box is the same. Moving St Pan HL, has no operational, financial gain what-so-ever. It has cost a fortune in redesigning workstations, involving Siemens which isn't cheap. Just to move a workstation within an ROC costs 300k+. To redesign, move to a totally different location, retrain and employ extra staff at the new location, meanwhile retain the grade 9 signallers at TBROC to operate half a work station, where is the sense? From my observation whilst working at TBROC, there was probably a handful of telephones a shift between WH and TBROC. Talking to NWR Control means calling Derby Control, to call Electrical Control means calling York ECO, to talk to St Pan HL Station Control mean calling London. Almost forgot, York ROC for anything going onto the Eastern via Canal Tunnels, and Ashford IECC regarding bits of their connecting infrastructure. Still going to be the same at West Hampstead. How do Signallers in a workstation environment observe trains in other areas, not by an overview, which West Hampstead no longer has, but by a separate Screen displaying CCF or TMIS to see where trains are, effectively individuals in individual boxes, remember those LOL.

A spare workstation sat at TBROC for years waiting for West Hampstead to come to TBROC. But like all projects on the railways, nothing is carried out until it ultimate completion. Some new boss comes in with their own ideas and other plans get shoved aside. In this case, Andrew Haines comes in. West Hampstead whilst originally envisaged going to TBROC, with Kings Cross, so the Thameslink Route was under one route, along come other manager who then use their weight. Kings Cross shouldn't go to TBROC, fourty miles is too far. LOL they ended up moving it to York ROC ( nearly 200 miles away) with the loss of the majority of its skilled Signallers who didn't want to move north. Mr Haines, hearing that West Hampstead was now going to East Midlands ROC, stopped it saying no the skill base is here in the south, it ain't moving. Meanwhile he lets the skill base at Kings Cross go, many on severance pay. I was at London Bridge ASC, one of the thirteen planned boxes on the Southern under British Rail, that never got completed either. London Bridge under Thameslink originally was planned to go in a new "City Control Centre" at Ewer Street (yeap even had a name). It was roughly where today's Network Rail London Bridge MDU is. All existing staff, 60 Signallers would migrate there as it is less than a mile from LBASC. Plans, architects were all paid for and completed. Then we got a new boss/company. Thameslink Programme stalled because of issues with people of Borough Market. When the project restarted, new managers, new project people came along and a new National Plan ROCS! Several places were muted for the Thameslink ROC, and TBROC came about. 12 signallers out of 60 migrated to TBROC from LBASC. We were told by project managers that there would be a lot less Signallers needed at TBROC. Today there are 70 Signallers controlling the same area at TBROC that LBASC covered. But they paid the LBASC skill base off with severance, gave them new jobs in similar, lower grade or different positions. Meanwhile, TBROC has had a huge learning curve and had to recruit and train 58 Signallers in the same grade, with out the skill base the original 60 had. Makes sense!

Can you see, I have experienced this. Worse under Privatisation. But none of it makes sense. Until the railway can pull together again, work as one, then maybe they will stop wasting money like moving St Pan HL from TBROC to WH. Meanwhile they try to go on about the 21st Century Digital Railway. LOL we still have 19th Century technology being used, with Signallers still tapping out bell code out to each other. A technology that was invented because no other communication existed between boxes, the telephone was not around. Perhaps someone should tell the railway that telephones exist, people carry them in their pocket ( well in the hands most of the time). Then maybe they will get rid of 19th Century technology and also realise, it doesn't matter where a Signalling Control Area is based today.

AL1875

Do we have any timescale for 125mph running south of Bedford?

Any announcements due for any work north of Leicester?

38Cto15E

Has there ever been a weekend when Hull trains used the MML via Manton Jct and Corby?

londonmidland

Established Member
Looks like a few of the headspans between Harlington and Flitwick are awaiting removal, as they’ve had all span-wires removed. It’s just the metal posts which remain. These have been replaced by portals.