• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most reasonable route from St. Albans to Cambridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobberz

From my research, this is pretty problematic. I understand that with the new Cambridge -> London route opening there is a far more direct means of travel, but it is less than ideal (though probably all the options are).

In terms of public transport, which would be the best route in terms of both price and time?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What new Cambridge - London route?

The fastest route will be Cambridge - Kings Cross using the express service thence pop across to St Pancras for a train to St Albans.

Trains from Cambridge to St Pancras will start running from May (giving a simpler change) although I think the express trains from Cambridge will generally still go to Kings Cross.

Abpj17

as ianno87 says, bus - or possibly - even taxi via Hatfield. St Albans and Hatfield are pretty close with a good bus service. But it will depend on your exact starting point and time of day. There is a bus every 10-15 mins that takes 20 - 30 mins.

philjo

Established Member
There are through tickets from St Albans to Cambridge routed "HATFLD/ALBNS BUS" for use on the buses between St Albans to Hatfield then the train to Cambridge which are much cheaper than the fares via London.

http://www.brfares.com/#!fares?orig=SAC&dest=CBG

Off -peak Day return is £21.90.
The any permitted fare via London is £41.30

Status
Not open for further replies.