• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most reliable locomotive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolomonSouth

On Moderation
Who are the contenders for this title? I've no real ideas. My guess at a contender would be the Class 66 and an outside contender might be the Class 43 (with new engines). But I could be wrong.

Anyone know the answer?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Would think class 59s are in with a shot. The oldest have done 35 years of (very) heavy front line service and show no sign of giving up.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Would think class 59s are in with a shot. The oldest have done 35 years of (very) heavy front line service and show no sign of giving up.
They were certainly up there when they were fairly new.
Not sure what they achieve availability wise these days but I bet they’re not too far off the top of the tree even now?

MattRat

On Moderation
PEPs in general, probably, but special mention to the Merseyrail 507/508. 40+ years of commuter service, and still going strong. Only really getting replaced for a more modern passenger experience/extending services with batteries.

Edit: Also, they've been able to run on only 450 volts on some sections of the Wirral line, which are obviously being fixed for the new trains. Tell me of another unit that doesn't mind running underpowered?

Last edited:

Neptune

Established Member
PEPs in general, probably, but special mention to the Merseyrail 507/508. 40+ years of commuter service, and still going strong. Only really getting replaced for a more modern passenger experience/extending services with batteries.

Edit: Also, they've been able to run on only 450 volts on some sections of the Wirral line, which are obviously being fixed for the new trains. Tell me of another unit that doesn't mind running underpowered?
They don’t class as locomotives though.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Traditionally speaking, it was the class 20 fleet. They used to have several periods where their miles per casualty was infinity because there were no casualties!

They were stunningly reliable.

fgwrich

Established Member
Class 73s in their original form? Sure,
I’ve come across a few which have become somewhat grumpy (typical EE!) and some which on a hot day have been a little hot and bothered, but they just seem to pull through. The ability to switch between Diesel and DC helps them too.

billh

Class 76(EM1)? Built like tanks, looked like tanks, ran as fast (or slow!) as tanks and utterly reliable. Beyond routine maintenance at Reddish, the fitters had an easy time on them, the same could not be said for the diesels that came later to the works.

Wagonshop

Traditionally speaking, it was the class 20 fleet. They used to have several periods where their miles per casualty was infinity because there were no casualties!

They were stunningly reliable.
I remember when I worked at toton what kept them going was the fact they worked in pairs. Was very common to have bits not working on one loco

meld3

Got to be the ROG 37's - just look where 37800 has been in the last year - Scotland, London, South Wales and all points in between.
Don't think its failed once which given its older than me and I'm failing.....

8A Rail

Established Member
Almost anything that has 'English Electric' engines. :D Oh and don't forget the various Electric Class locomotives too, certainly Class 86 and Class 87 should be high up.

MattRat

On Moderation
They don’t class as locomotives though.
Details, details. In all seriousness...oops...

Reconsidering the requirements, probably something electric like the 86. Being able to do 'high speed' passenger work and then continue being a workhorse on freight is pretty impressive. That's a lot of wear and tear to endure.

SolomonSouth

On Moderation
Details, details. In all seriousness...oops...

Reconsidering the requirements, probably something electric like the 86. Being able to do 'high speed' passenger work and then continue being a workhorse on freight is pretty impressive. That's a lot of wear and tear to endure.
Indeed. But the 66 is used for pretty much all freight operations in the UK yet it doesn't seem to break down much. I have never heard of a failed 66.

90's on Anglia had pretty good reliability figures in their final years - 50k miles between failures. It is such a shame the 745 does not and never will even come close to equalling that. But the 745 isn't technically a loco anyway.

CW2

Established Member
I'd agree on the class 86s. Over their lifetime they ran many millions of miles, singly and in pairs, on passenger and freight services. They were a massive step up in reliability and availability compared to their predecessors. They tended to get overlooked as "boring" because they seemed to work just about everything. With hindsight, they're the best and most productive loco fleet of the past 50 years.

On Moderation
I'd agree on the class 86s. Over their lifetime they ran many millions of miles, singly and in pairs, on passenger and freight services. They were a massive step up in reliability and availability compared to their predecessors. They tended to get overlooked as "boring" because they seemed to work just about everything. With hindsight, they're the best and most productive loco fleet of the past 50 years.
But they had an inherent design flaw that was only ever properly fixed on three locos. A flaw that contributed to a generation of poor track quality (and additional costs for the civil engineers?) on their primary route.

Magdalia

Established Member
It depends on what you mean by reliable: availability for traffic or miles per casualty? Until relatively recently it was much easier to measure the former than the latter.

All other things being equal electric locos are more reliable than diesel, simply by not transporting their power supply.

Much also depends on the sort of work the locos do, what extra equipment they have (more things to go wrong), and the maintenance regime.

Class 33s benefitted from the Southern maintenance regime.

Class 20s benefitted from rarely going very fast, and often working in pairs.

Both of these also benefitted from not having steam heat boilers.

Alfonso

Got to be the ROG 37's - just look where 37800 has been in the last year - Scotland, London, South Wales and all points in between.
Don't think its failed once which given its older than me and I'm failing.....
37800 knows what happens to trains that are not needed any more, and doesn't want to end up towed to Newport Docks.

MattRat

On Moderation
Indeed. But the 66 is used for pretty much all freight operations in the UK yet it doesn't seem to break down much. I have never heard of a failed 66.

90's on Anglia had pretty good reliability figures in their final years - 50k miles between failures. It is such a shame the 745 does not and never will even come close to equalling that. But the 745 isn't technically a loco anyway.
But they had an inherent design flaw that was only ever properly fixed on three locos. A flaw that contributed to a generation of poor track quality (and additional costs for the civil engineers?) on their primary route.
I look at electrics becuase there is less to go wrong, plus easier to maintain when they do go wrong, and I include that as part of reliability. If a loco breaks just once beput you can't repair it, can it really be called reliable?

The 86s just popped into my head becuase of age and them still running, but I am open to other suggestions.

CW2

Established Member
True, in part at least. Fitting Flexicoil suspension to the 86/2s and limiting the remainder to 80mph was a partial cure, but the WCML track benefitted greatly from their eventual replacement by more modern traction. The three 86/1s were always my favourites.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Think 40s were pretty bulletproof too. 37s were achieving around 40k miles per failure in 1980s, which was pretty impressive at the time. Some individual locos could put in high reliability figures, even some 50s would get in excess of 20k miles per failure but balanced by some of their less reliable stablemates!!! Outside of locos any camshaft drive DC unit would put in over 100k miles per failure.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Think 40s were pretty bulletproof too. 37s were achieving around 40k miles per failure in 1980s, which was pretty impressive at the time. Some individual locos could put in high reliability figures, even some 50s would get in excess of 20k miles per failure but balanced by some of their less reliable stablemates!!! Outside of locos any camshaft drive DC unit would put in over 100k miles per failure.
what do the 37s achieve now?

Kneedown

Established Member
I remember when I worked at toton what kept them going was the fact they worked in pairs. Was very common to have bits not working on one loco
At Toton some of the pits I worked to and from, if one of the 20's went "Pop" the other one wasn't nearly enough to keep the train going so you were still a dead duck. Leaving Calverton and Silverhill, and getting to the loader at Bentinck immediately spring to mind. Always found 56's and 60's far more reliable, certainly on colliery jobs. Quite often one of the 20's would overload and by the time you'd shut off and retaken power you'd lost all momentum.

ac6000cw

Established Member
Anything with an EMD powertrain is bulletproof.
I'd generally agree with that, but even EMD has delivered some less-than-stellar locos in North America e.g. the GP35 (complex, unreliable all-DC electrical system and the 567 series engine at the limit), the SD50 (645 series engine pushed too far and build quality issues, resulting in most of them being downgraded over the years to the equivalent of an SD40-2), and SD90MAC (problems with the new 265H engine and build quality issues, resulting in short lives or extensive rebuilding into 710-powered locos).

Established Member
What exactly was the inherent design flaw with 86s that affected the track quality? The track doesn’t seem to be particularly good on the WCML now compared to some secondary routes but I assumed that was to do with the density of both fast and heavy traffic using it. Anything wrong with it is definitely felt more on a 195 than on a Pendolino.

Snow1964

Established Member
What exactly was the inherent design flaw with 86s that affected the track quality? The track doesn’t seem to be particularly good on the WCML now compared to some secondary routes but I assumed that was to do with the density of both fast and heavy traffic using it. Anything wrong with it is definitely felt more on a 195 than on a Pendolino.
As built the locos had bogie mounted heavy motors, so there was a lot of unsprung weight, or more precisely partly sprung, and any jolting of the bogies on poor track meant the heavy weight effected a heavy hammer blow on the track.

The previous locos, classes 81-85 had been specified with body mounted motors and flexible drives to avoid this. Thus the motors weren’t part of the bogie mass. The bodies don’t bounce around as much as the short 4 wheel bogies so movement is softer to track. Adding resilient wheels eased some of the impact.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.