• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Multi-operator Countywide Day Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashworth

Established Member
I have just returned from a very enjoyable short break staying in Colchester. It was fantastic to be able to easily travel around Essex by bus using the multi-operator Essex Saver Ticket costing £8 each day. All I had to do was to buy my £8 Essex Saver Ticket on the first bus that I boarded each day and then I was able to travel around the county for rest of the day using this ticket. It was great not having to worry about which company operated services or having to pay additional fares.
For example on one day I travelled from Colchester to Walton on the Naze (Stephensons), walked along sea front to Frinton on Sea, Frinton to Great Holland on Sea (Stephensons), Great Holland on Sea to Clacton (First Essex), Clacton to Wivehoe (First Essex) and finally Wivenhoe to Colchester (Hedenham).

It is so annoying that in my home county of Nottinghamshire these sort of days out cannot be done without great expense of paying for separate tickets from each operator. Nottingham City have recently introduced the Robin Hood Card but that does not cover anywhere much beyond the city boundary. As there is no one company having any kind of monopoly in the county it is difficult to complete many journeys involving more than one bus cheaply. Consequently I tend to use my car.

I am becoming increasingly aware on my travels that a number of counties, often throughout quite rural areas do have multi operator tickets available and these usually cast around £8 for a day. They have, of course, been available for many years in the more urban areas like London, West Midlands, Greater Manchester, West and South Yorkshire, Merseyside etc, often at a much cheaper level than £8.

Not including the urban areas and cities some that covering whole counties I have come across are:
Interlink (Hertfordshire Explorer) @ £8.50
Avon Rider @ £7.50
Worcestershire County Connecta @ £7.20
Explorer North East @ £9.70 (this covers a large area of the North East
Discovery @ £8.50 (Surrey, East and West Sussex and Kent)
Devon Day @ £8.50 (trial for this summer)

Does anyone know of any more countywide tickets of this type?

There are of course other more expensive ones like Derbyshire Wayfarer which also covers rail journeys and Ride Cornwall that includes rail but only the major bus companies.

In addition there are areas where one company has almost a monopoly on the bus services and so a day ticket does just about include all buses. I have found that with the Stagecoach Explorer in Lancaster and the Lake District.

If only more counties would do the same. I'd love to see one for Nottinghamshire or even better a Discovery type ticket covering Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Lincolnshire.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lrd

Established Member
There is the Solent Go. Which covers the Solent area (Portsmouth through to West Southampton/Totton/Hythe and up to Winchester). Not quite the whole county of Hampshire but a large chunk of it.

Also includes options for ferries and hover crafts over to the Isle of Wight

http://solentgo.co.uk/

Statto

Established Member
Most if not all PTE areas, do day tickets that are valid on all bus services as well as trains & certain circumstances ferries without having to pay for extra tickets, unless you go beyond the ticket boundary.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There's an £8 ticket valid on Stagecoach, Oxford Bus Co and Thames Travel that's valid throughout the city of Oxford, and South Oxfordshire (incl. to Reading).

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The West Yorkshire Metro Day ticket (which replaced the bus only day rover which had to be bought from travel centres or post offices) is good value, and I can't quite understand why anyone still buys the single operator equivalents which are nearly as expensive. First do day tickets for smaller areas which are ideal for those doing more local trips. It is a while since I've used any since I got my Mcard though. I have a feeling that some single operator tickets allow cross-boundary travel on their services (Arriva rings a bell with their Wakefield to Selby and Doncaster services) but I'm not sure.

ashworth

Established Member
Most if not all PTE areas, do day tickets that are valid on all bus services as well as trains & certain circumstances ferries without having to pay for extra tickets, unless you go beyond the ticket boundary.

I have always been aware of the PTE area tickets. It's the ones in the more rural shire counties that I am more interested in. There are so many different bus operators these days in rural areas that travelling around by bus can be very expensive when you keep having to buy different tickets for each journey. I find it very expensive in Nottinghamshire and that is why I liked the Essex Saver.

Last edited:

WestCoast

Established Member
Worcestershire has the "County Connecta" ticket for all services. South Yorkshire has the TravelMaster.

Statto

Established Member
Is Ride Cornwall still going? All trains plus First and Go Ahead services within Cornwall plus to and from Plymouth?

Also, the North Wales? There was a rover ticket that allowed travel on various trains and virtually all buses?

Still is one for North Wales, now called North & Mid Wales day ranger, which has had a few bizarre names over the years including [not sure on spelling] Tocyn Taith.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Still is one for North Wales, now called North & Mid Wales day ranger, which has had a few bizarre names over the years including [not sure on spelling] Tocyn Taith.

Tocyn Taith sounds familiar. Did sure we travelled across Gwynedd and parts of Conwy. Arriva buses plus Express, Berwyn, KMP plus trains to Blaenau, Pwllheli and Bangor.

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member

what's so bizarre about a Welsh travel ticket having a Welsh name? FYI Tocyn Taith means Trip Ticket... admittedly Tocyn Teithio would be a more accurate name for the ticket (meaning Travel Pass)

On another note there is the West Wales Rover which is valid on all buses in Ceredigion, Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Travelmaster in South Yorks.

You highlight something that all of the public transport industry still hasn't recognised for itself - and that is that, as users, for the most part we don't give a hoot what colour the bus is; we only want it to run where we're going; that their sole competition is not each other, but the private car; and that, to increase their business they need to stop playing at competing with each other and co-operate in appealing to those who drive with co-ordinated services and ticketing. And that includes the Railway and trams where available. Multi-operator, multi-mode tickets, sensibly priced, should be the default offer for anything that falls beyond the scope of the simple single - within reasonable geographical boundaries and zones that are based, not on 1970's political boundaries, but on likely traffic flows.....

embers25

Established Member
Is Ride Cornwall still going? All trains plus First and Go Ahead services within Cornwall plus to and from Plymouth?

Also, the North Wales? There was a rover ticket that allowed travel on various trains and virtually all buses?

Yep Ride Cornwall lives on and includes Go Cornwall as well as First, GWR and XC but not Stagecoach (although it would have only been valid to Saltash on Stagecoach)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
what's so bizarre about a Welsh travel ticket having a Welsh name? FYI Tocyn Taith means Trip Ticket... admittedly Tocyn Teithio would be a more accurate name for the ticket (meaning Travel Pass)

On another note there is the West Wales Rover which is valid on all buses in Ceredigion, Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire.

Can't talk about Welsh as a language but it's bizarre that what is essentially the same ticket has seemingly had a number of identities.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yep Ride Cornwall lives on and includes Go Cornwall as well as First, GWR and XC but not Stagecoach (although it would have only been valid to Saltash on Stagecoach)

Guess the surprises are that routes operated by Summercourt (Travel Cornwall) and any other tendered routes aren't covered, especially as Stagecoach did have the 584/595 that weren't covered either IIRC. Also, there are Bude locals and other stuff around there that Stagecoach do.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I few weeks ago I was trying to find any sort of SWT's network rover (SWT only), didn't have any luck trying to find one, does such a rover exist?

Dai Corner

Established Member
Here in South East Wales we have the £8 Day Network Rider valid in Bridgend, Vale of Glamorgan, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Cardiff, Caerphilly, Newport, Torfaen, Merthyr Tydfil, Blaenau Gwent and Monmouthshire, plus Brecon, Hay on Wye and Hereford.

https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s...ps/South Wales/A4DayNetworkRiderWeb201602.pdf

Accepted by First Cymru, Stagecoach, Cardiff Bus, Newport Transport, New Adventure Travel and pretty much all the smaller operators. Unfortunately, Newport Transport do not accept the equivalent weekly ticket which is very good value at £24.80

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Cambridgeshire has a MultiBus ticket for (I think) £8, if you don't want to give all your money to Stagecoach.

There is also the Intalink scheme in Hertfordshire.

ashworth

Established Member

I used a Ride Cornwall ticket on a couple of days earlier this summer. This is a great value ticket at only £10 as it includes all rail journeys in Cornwall. I did find it a bit restricting in that only First Kernow and Plymouth Bus/Go Cornwall are included and had to check carefully who was operating journeys to more remote locations.

I have heard that the price of Ride Cornwall tickets could be increasing quite significantly next summer perhaps to as much as £15. This is not surprising as First Kernow Day Ticket is currently £12 just for their buses so not surprisingly they don't advertise Ride Cornwall at £10!

I also found in Essex that First Essex do not advertise the Essex Saver which at £8 is the same price as their First Day Ticket. The Essex Saver Ticket was advertised by most of the smaller independent companies in Essex. I don't suppose that many are sold in areas of the county where First are the dominant operator, yet at the same price the Essex Saver was always my choice just in case I had to use another operator.

bradford758

The West Yorkshire Metro Day ticket (which replaced the bus only day rover which had to be bought from travel centres or post offices) is good value, and I can't quite understand why anyone still buys the single operator equivalents which are nearly as expensive. First do day tickets for smaller areas which are ideal for those doing more local trips. It is a while since I've used any since I got my Mcard though. I have a feeling that some single operator tickets allow cross-boundary travel on their services (Arriva rings a bell with their Wakefield to Selby and Doncaster services) but I'm not sure.
In West Yorkshire, there's also the traditional scratch-off day tickets, Day Rover, these including off peak train travel, but Monday to Friday are valid from 0930, but you're not allowed to board a train 1601-1829.
Operator-only tickets can be a problem if on certain routes.
The KDay ticket covers most transdev Keighley routes operating out of the Keighley depot, so you can even travel to Harrogate via Silsden, and includes Keighley-Colne & Skipton-Barnoldswick.
The first West Yorkshire day ticket is only valid on first buses but includes some travel into Lancashire or Manchester.

Bill Badger

I have heard that the price of Ride Cornwall tickets could be increasing quite significantly next summer perhaps to as much as £15. This is not surprising as First Kernow Day Ticket is currently £12 just for their buses so not surprisingly they don't advertise Ride Cornwall at £10!

I was told by a ticket clerk that it is going up to £13 next month. Given it's been £10 for about the past 10 years can't really complain

I am a frequent user even when only travelling on buses as with a Railcard discount works out at only £8.30. At £13, with a railcard it will still work out cheaper that the First Kernow Day Ticket..... unless it's raining!

higthomas

There's an £8 ticket valid on Stagecoach, Oxford Bus Co and Thames Travel that's valid throughout the city of Oxford, and South Oxfordshire (incl. to Reading).

Sadly that's only valid on Stagecoach buses within the Oxford zone. Outside of that it's only valid on Thames Travel and OBC.

Lrd

Established Member
I few weeks ago I was trying to find any sort of SWT's network rover (SWT only), didn't have any luck trying to find one, does such a rover exist?
No there isn't. There are the occasional "Rainbow Days" where there are day rovers available from a selected station that are valid across the whole TOC.

Bookd

Travelmaster in South Yorks.

You highlight something that all of the public transport industry still hasn't recognised for itself - and that is that, as users, for the most part we don't give a hoot what colour the bus is; we only want it to run where we're going; that their sole competition is not each other, but the private car; and that, to increase their business they need to stop playing at competing with each other and co-operate in appealing to those who drive with co-ordinated services and ticketing. And that includes the Railway and trams where available. Multi-operator, multi-mode tickets, sensibly priced, should be the default offer for anything that falls beyond the scope of the simple single - within reasonable geographical boundaries and zones that are based, not on 1970's political boundaries, but on likely traffic flows.....

Part of the problem is that in the regulated era bus companies would cooperate in having balanced services and interchangeable tickets. These days while the government's transport department might like that idea the competition authorities seem to think that two companies dealing with each other is a criminal offence.

Statto

Established Member
Derbyshire you have the Derbyshire Wayfarer which is valid on Rail services in Derbyshire as well.

GMPTE Wayfarer is good value, & allows out of area travel to some towns surrounding Greater Manchester & as far as Crich in Derbyshire & Leek in Staffs.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Part of the problem is that in the regulated era bus companies would cooperate in having balanced services and interchangeable tickets. These days while the government's transport department might like that idea the competition authorities seem to think that two companies dealing with each other is a criminal offence.

Indeed, but such things can be done by intermediaries (normally local authorities). In the former county of Avon, we have had examples of two councils facilitating such things. On top of that, we have WEBOA (West of England Bus Operators Association) that helped construct the Avon Rider tickets that interestingly have First and Wessex involved despite them being "daggers drawn".

Fair comment from earlier poster about boundaries etc. That said, you're always going to have some of cut off unless each county is a zone and you can buy tickets based on the zones used or there's some national scheme but then you wonder what sort of fare may be required

Back to the original question (ish), for my money Explorer North East is the best ticket out there covering most bus operations in T&W, Teesside, Co Durham and Northumberland as well as a few bits of North Yorkshire. There are a few firms not covered that it would be useful to be in the scheme (like Scarlet Band, Proctors Group and Weardale - the latter left the scheme for some reason) and the Durham Coast and Saltburn Lines would be nice. However, other than that, it's a great ticket for less than a tenner

Last edited:

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
The Wiltshire Day Rover has been going for years and it's excellent. Virtually every bus in the county

http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/day-rover-leaflet.pdf

I've used one about a fortnight back and I do have to say it is brilliant, shame that a week and month rovers couldn't be introduced as well as I do think that they would also be popular. Also note the mistake on the leaflet - aduilts rather than adults.

Off topic, but I do have to say that the birds in Wiltshire are quite sassy, as Westbury, Trowbridge and Sailsbury is filled with them.

causton

Established Member
For £8.50 the Explorer in "Hertfordshire" is very good value if you use it.

Why the speech marks?

Because on Arriva buses, it stretches all the way to Milton Keynes and Oxford, all the way across to Reading and Stansted!

(The map does not indicate that the ticket is not valid to Heathrow, however)

Status
Not open for further replies.