• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Multiple Working

norbitonflyer

Established Member
I think they could run at 25 with them removed.
Interesting, because an 09 has a max speed of 27.
I knoiw these were being hauled dead, but could an 08 run under power without coupling rods (it would effectively have an A-1-A wheel arranagement if both traction motors were working).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CW2

Established Member
Going by the history of the 90s, I’m hoping not a literal meltdown.
Over speed relay tripped. A simple job to reset, but the driver didn't sign class 90s, so had a full scale hissy fit when he found out why his loco was struggling to reach 125 mph. The loco in question was soon back in service. I don't know about the driver!

The Chimaera

Interesting, because an 09 has a max speed of 27.
I knoiw these were being hauled dead, but could an 08 run under power without coupling rods (it would effectively have an A-1-A wheel arranagement if both traction motors were working).
An 08 could be hauled at 25 mph as long as the rods were removed and the traction motors were demeshed. They couldn’t run under their own power without rods on.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
An 08 could be hauled at 25 mph as long as the rods were removed and the traction motors were demeshed. They couldn’t run under their own power without rods on.
Coundn't? Or weren't allowed to?
(I appreciate older designs couldn't, because they had jackshaft drive)

randyrippley

Established Member
Coundn't? Or weren't allowed to?
(I appreciate older designs couldn't, because they had jackshaft drive)
If they ran at 25mph under their own power the traction motor would overheat due to insufficient cooling.
09 had revised cooling fan system which let them run at 25 under their own power