• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newcastle to Alnmouth with break at Morpeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
An off peak day return from Newcastle to Alnmouth is £13.40. It has restriction code B3 which I think is just off peak. I presume I can break journey at Morpeth (only want to do this on outward)?

In the afternoon there is a gap in trains back and planners seem to send you via Berwick. Is that right? If so, is the ticket valid on all TOCs - TPE, Cross Country, LNER, Lumo?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
An off peak day return from Newcastle to Alnmouth is £13.40. It has restriction code B3 which I think is just off peak.
At that price you're referring to the fare that's routed Any Permitted. There is also a slightly cheaper TPE only fare, which is highly inadvisable to buy due to the tiny saving compared to the loss of flexibility, particularly in view of TPE's continuing unreliability and inadequate ticket acceptance arrangements.

The restriction code on the Any Permitted fare is B3, which is a very common one that only just trains timed to depart between 04:30-08:59.

I presume I can break journey at Morpeth (only want to do this on outward)?
Off-Peak tickets permit break of journey unless the restriction code says otherwise. Code B3 doesn't have any break of journey restrictions, so break of journey is permitted on this fare (on both portions).

In the afternoon there is a gap in trains back and planners seem to send you via Berwick. Is that right?
It appears that some, but not all, retailers are willing to offer you an itinerary via Berwick during that gap (between the 15:26 and 18:00 direct services). I'm not sure how they are deeming this permitted, but you are always entitled to travel in accordance with the itinerary that a retailer offers you when you buy your ticket. That doesn't necessarily guarantee a hassle-free journey though, it has to be said.

If so, is the ticket valid on all TOCs - TPE, Cross Country, LNER, Lumo?
It's routed Any Permitted, so yes, it's valid on all operators along all permitted routes :)

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Thanks as ever for the clear explanations. I'd seen the TPE only ticket and have no intention of buying that! Getting up to the North East from Wigan, I'm going Avanti and Northern (via Carlisle) both ways rather than Northern and TPE (via Leeds) on one leg. Such a shame you can't rely on them.

The Berwick thing is odd and assuming the weather is fine, I'll probably wait until 18.00 for the direct train.

Willie Bee

I'm travelling to Almouth, from Newcastle in a couple of weeks too, for a day out.

I intend buying a PlusBus ticket, then cake take buses to / from Alnwick as well as Amble .. both lovely places to visit

xotGD

Established Member
I read a book recently where the main character baled out a train onto the ballast near Alnmouth, walked into the village, rented a room for a month and had an affair with a woman half his age.

So you have been warned!

Status
Not open for further replies.