• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NFM05 download

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olympian

I don't believe this has already been posted. The Penalty Fare Appeal Support website helpfully announced a couple of days ago that Avantix Traveller NFM05 is now available for download from http://www.faresmanual.co.uk. Hopefully some of you will find this useful ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_metro

Established Member
T&Cs said:
Banned party's
The person, persons or organisations listed below have had their implied access to this site withdrawn. Continued access to this site will be treated as trespass and unauthorised access and is in breach of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, the Computer Misuse Act and or other applicable laws in other countries.
Current Banned Party's
ATOC
All UK Train Operating Companies.

Nice :D

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
They seem to have picked and chosen laws that they believe are applicable to them. A US one to release the software, a US/UK one to stop the software owners from accessing where their software is being illegally downloaded from.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
faresmanual.co.uk : "Jurisdictional Issues . . . . shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Principality of Sealand Courts"
Sealand Courts? Sealand is that concrete platform off the Suffolk coast - it may not be in the UK or any other territory, but since when did it have a Court?
(PS The file sharing web service known as Pirate Bay tried, but failed, to buy Sealand to give them some immunity from any nation's jurisdiction)

and the domain name appears to be registered to a UK-based individual : Sir Topham Hatt (the legendary Fat Controller)

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't believe this has already been posted. The Penalty Fare Appeal Support website helpfully announced a couple of days ago that Avantix Traveller NFM05 is now available for download from http://www.faresmanual.co.uk. Hopefully some of you will find this useful ;)
It's disgusting. There's a big risk that people, who previously would not be prepared to pay the £9+ P&P cost (which is the equivalent of an Admin fee for changing a ticket) may be able to find out what restriction codes are on their tickets. This is a national emergency! People can find the fares through sites like Thetrainline, but not the restriction codes. The restriction codes should be kept secret from people not prepared to pay for them, at all costs! Also think of the loss of traffic onto the ticket booking sites, as people stop using them to find the cheapest combination of fares! Also think of the paper that will be saved by not having printed manuals - it's disgraceful. Lock them up and throw away the key!! We MUST keep this information secret. If the codes are publicly available there is a huge risk that guards won't be able to excess passengers £££s because the customers may then be on valid tickets. The CD manufacturing industry will go bust, due to lack of CDs, and the space the CDs would have occupied in landfill will not be filled. Even worse, the Royal Mail will not be delivering the CDs, this saves fuel and packaging, this is very bad indeed. Hopefully the wonderful ATOC will be along to save the day ;)

By the way, I wonder if ATOC realise that the Routeing Guide and National Conditions of Carriage are free downloads? They should rectify this at once! There is a huge risk that customers will be using permitted routes and obeying with the conditions if they can read it. This must be stopped so that huge excesses can be charged. Think of the poor TOCs! All information must be kept secret away from the prying eyes of passengers who inconvenience the running of the railway. ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A Mac user says you can use "Crossover" (whatever that is, I assume an emulator).

Pumbaa

Established Member
Yorkie: it is

Ralph: unless you use an emulator, nope! I've transferred NFM onto onto my other half's laptop so I can use it still!

Railjet

It's disgusting. There's a big risk that people, who previously would not be prepared to pay the £9+ P&P cost (which is the equivalent of an Admin fee for changing a ticket) may be able to find out what restriction codes are on their tickets. This is a national emergency! .......(snip).................... There is a huge risk that customers will be using permitted routes and obeying with the conditions if they can read it. This must be stopped so that huge excesses can be charged. Think of the poor TOCs! All information must be kept secret away from the prying eyes of passengers who inconvenience the running of the railway. ;)

:lol: Funniest thing I've seen on this forum for a long time.

Post of the year! (so far :p)

mallard

Established Member
A Mac user says you can use "Crossover" (whatever that is, I assume an emulator).

Crossover is a sort of "comparability layer" based on the open-source "wine" project that allows Windows applications to be run on other operating systems. Technically it's not an "emulator" in that the applications still run on the host OS rather than within an instance of the emulator.

Anyway, I can confirm that at least Avantix NFM03 works just fine with Crossover on Linux, so should on a Mac. Does have a few bugs though, such as the startup "spash" screen not appearing properly and a crash if you enter a station code for the first station entered after you start the program... But it's certainly usable.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I've run NFM03 and NFM05 on wine under Linux quite successfully. The setup program runs fine until crashing on exit, but by then it's already installed NFM properly.

Lampshade

Established Member
This is fantastic :D

EDIT: Why are there Virgin Trains only fares from Preston to Manchester? VT doesn't operate that route :???:

Last edited by a moderator:

General Zod

Avantix runs using WINE under Ubuntu 8.10+ ( no setup crashes ) A wee bit sluggish but everything works.

MCR247

Established Member
This is fantastic :D

EDIT: Why are there Virgin Trains only fares from Preston to Manchester? VT doesn't operate that route :???:

Would a valid route be: Manchester - Crewe - Preston?

bluenoxid

Established Member
faresmanual.co.uk : "Jurisdictional Issues . . . . shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Principality of Sealand Courts"
Sealand Courts? Sealand is that concrete platform off the Suffolk coast - it may not be in the UK or any other territory, but since when did it have a Court?
(PS The file sharing web service known as Pirate Bay tried, but failed, to buy Sealand to give them some immunity from any nation's jurisdiction)

and the domain name appears to be registered to a UK-based individual : Sir Topham Hatt (the legendary Fat Controller)

Yes. Unfortunately, the smart people just put pressure on their hosts who won't be based at said spot in the North Sea. Dallas is pretty landlocked tbh.

And it breaches the hosts AUP

5.4.6 infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person;

hchwskse

I've run NFM03 and NFM05 on wine under Linux quite successfully. The setup program runs fine until crashing on exit, but by then it's already installed NFM properly.
NFM 05 installs fine on Ubuntu 9.10 running WINE, but it is buggy e.g. it can't calculate the number of days correctly for season tickets. It calculates from the actual current date i.e. you can't calculate a season ticket's duration which starts on Monday or next week.

Also the help function doesn't run smoothly. Better off firing it up on Windoze me thinks!

Most alarming of all on both Linux & M$ you can no longer calculate season tickets that incorporate London travel zones i.e. "Zone R2356 LONDN", as you could on NFM 03. What's happened?

DJ737

Hi there

Can anyone get to the download site?

I just got this : The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

I already have NFM05, but was trying to post a link for Australian Frequent Flyer Forum.

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia
45c today, the train system melted. :roll:

bunuk

Anyone know where I can get hold of a copy? The host has now exceeded it's bandwidth allowance. This could be an act of sabotage or just naivety about the demand. Either way I think it foolish to have leaked in this way rather than by seeding torrents so multiple copies were available in different locations.

So, hows got a copy I could have?

I'd be up for getting it seeded on a torrent site or two.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
found these:

[links removed]

enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:

Helvellyn

Established Member
I see that one in month this site has not been able to put up NFM06 - has ATOC finally achieved its aim of stopping someone putting it on the net?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I see that one in month this site has not been able to put up NFM06 -
We feel we can't allow links to NFM via torrents, file sharing sites, etc on this forum, remember ATOC do read this site.
has ATOC finally achieved its aim of stopping someone putting it on the net?
I'd have thought it would be impossible for any organisation to prevent software being uploaded.

People can make their own choice. Some believe it is morally wrong to use this software without paying for it. Others believe it is morally wrong for ATOC to charge a fee for us to look up fares. Those who believe the latter, cannot be prevented from finding a way, but we feel that we cannot promote it on this site.

radamfi

Established Member
Is it just me or is anyone else lamenting the loss of the "Technical Manuals" from the National Rail website? It could be argued that we are worse off than before NFM became available on CD as ticket restrictions were available, albeit in a tedious manner (I'm sure one of the ticket websites gave restriction codes which could be checked against Section E), but there is now no public way of getting the (often vital) information that was in the Technical Manuals.

oliverj8

Thanks for your help, what I meant was what do I have to type into the Origin/Destination boxes to get the prices, e.g. If I type in CHESHIRE DAY RGR in the Origin and click Calculate, it comes up with an error saying that I need a destination...what do I need to type in?

Thanks in advance,

wintonian

Established Member
Well if you type for example WIN (Winchester) in as the origin and FOSS (Seven and Solent rover) in the destination another box pops up and you can choose whether you want the 3 in 7 or 8 in 15, click ok and it helpfully informs you that there are no fares available for the selected parameters.

So I guess someone left them out of NFM05 at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.