• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

People buying houses with associated noise (churches, railways etc) and then complaining about the noise?

Buzby

Personally, if I didn't want to live in a house next to a railway station I wouldn't buy a house next to a railway station.
You would think that… but I’ve lost count of the media stories of dwellers complaining about church bells, flights taking off/landing all sorts of annoyances that were all in place before their arrival!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

You would think that… but I’ve lost count of the media stories of dwellers complaining about church bells, flights taking off/landing all sorts of annoyances that were all in place before their arrival!
Yeah but its all so unfair etc etc...

najaB

Veteran Member
I have a tiny bit of sympathy for people who are annoyed by church bells, since they don't ring all the time so you could easily miss the fact that they're there.

As a personal example, before moving to my current home I had no idea that the campanolgists practice every Monday at 8pm. I don't mind it though.

Airports and railways though...

D6130

Established Member
Harking back to the dim and distant days of my childhood in the 1960s - when one set of grandparents lived alongside the West Coast Main Line in Dumfriesshire and the others lived alongside the Leeds Northern between Eaglescliffe and Yarm - I can recall the railways being much noisier than they are now....what with chuffing, snorting, whistling steam locos all over the place and carriages and wagons clattering along on sixty foot (or shorter) jointed rails. Living beside a railway nowadays is positively tranquil in comparison (except possibly when there's a 37 or 68 in the vicinity!).

philthetube

Established Member
I have a tiny bit of sympathy for people who are annoyed by church bells, since they don't ring all the time so you could easily miss the fact that they're there.

As a personal example, before moving to my current home I had no idea that the campanolgists practice every Monday at 8pm. I don't mind it though.

Although I get where you are coming from if you move next to a church with a tower wouldn't you think about bells.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Although I get where you are coming from if you move next to a church with a tower wouldn't you think about bells.
It's surprising how far Church bells can travel, and I can understand that if you move from a busy city or at least noisy town to a village you might get caught out.

bspahh

Established Member
One issue with bells is the bell ringers. I used to live across the road from a church where the bell ringing was random, rather than rhythmical.

I met another bell ringer who said that it was because that church had bell ringers who were more interested in drinking than campanology.

Last edited:

McRhu

I remember the Minister of Rhu Parish Church having to explain to elderly parishioners that the bells would be ringing at unusual times (can't remember why) and that it wasn't an invasion. But I always loved the sound of the bells drifting lazily up the hill and similarly the sound of Class 27s echoing up and down the loch: both very reassuring sounds that all was well with the world and running on time.

WAB

One issue with bells is the bell ringers. I used to live across the road from a church where the bell ringing was random, rather than rhymical.

I met another bell ringer who said that it was because that church had bell ringers who were more interested in drinking than campanology.
Quite... the difference between good striking and bad striking is quite noticeable. Of course, as they are practice nights during the week, perfection is not expected. And of course, it depends on the quality of the fittings - 1910 bells are far easier to ring well than something from 1724, say.

Mind you, you're not wrong about bellringers being into beer... a triple venn diagram of beer fans, train enthusiasts and bellringers would have several overlaps.

Bellringers don't have the same persuasiveness as the railways in terms of the noise being linked to something of value to the whole community. At the same time, the same principles apply - the trains and the bells normally came before the current occupants!

Killingworth

Established Member
Quite... the difference between good striking and bad striking is quite noticeable. Of course, as they are practice nights during the week, perfection is not expected. And of course, it depends on the quality of the fittings - 1910 bells are far easier to ring well than something from 1724, say.

Mind you, you're not wrong about bellringers being into beer... a triple venn diagram of beer fans, train enthusiasts and bellringers would have several overlaps.

Bellringers don't have the same persuasiveness as the railways in terms of the noise being linked to something of value to the whole community. At the same time, the same principles apply - the trains and the bells normally came before the current occupants!

Are there any church bells near Altnabreac? I used to stay in a house immediately opposite a church with a striking clock. I'm fairly sure it got silenced at night some years ago.

Presumably no news from Altnabreac?

Moderator note: any further discussion regarding the Altnabreac situation belongs in the following thread, please:

Last edited by a moderator:

One issue with bells is the bell ringers. I used to live across the road from a church where the bell ringing was random, rather than rhymical.

As a bellringer I can tell you that I am equally interested in Bell ringing and real ale drinking, but not at the same time.

Are there any church bells near Altnabreac? I used to stay in a house immediately opposite a church with a striking clock. I'm fairly sure it got silenced at night some years ago.

According to Doves Guide there are only only 23 towers in the whole of Scotland where there are bells hung for change ringing. The nearest one's to Altnabreac would be at Tulloch where the bells are hung in a former farm building and used for teaching purposes. They are fully sound proofed.

Last edited:

dangie

Established Member
An ex-workmate of mine lived in an old cottage right next to the West Coast Main Line at Colwich Staffs. He said that when he went away on holiday he often couldn't sleep as it was too quiet.

Enthusiast

If you mean concerning the shenanigans with the neighbours, there was a development at the beginning of this month:

Altnabreac Couple Charged​

Following an incident on Friday 1 March at Altnabreac Station the owners of the station house, Ian Appleby and Elizabeth Howe, appeared in Inverness Sheriff Court on 4 March on charges including trespassing in dangerous proximity to a Network Rail track; maliciously interfering with the running of the railway track by standing on it and bringing trains to a halt; obstructing British Transport Police officers in the execution of their duty and behaving in a threatening or abusive manner.

The two made no plea and have been released on bail pending further court appearance.

Moderator note: any further discussion regarding the Altnabreac situation belongs in the following thread, please:

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisC

Established Member
As a bellringer I can tell you that I am equally interested in Bell ringing and real ale drinking, but not at the same time.
For about 10 consecutive years during the 1990’s I used to go on holiday for a week every Easter with my local bellringers. We always stayed in Southwold in Suffolk. We used to ring bells at churches in towns and villages all over Suffolk and parts of Norfolk during the day and then spent the evenings in the pubs of Southwold drinking Adnams beer.

Calthrop

Established Member
Hard to resist -- the tale from the days of persecution of religion in the USSR. There is in a country town there, a zealous church bellringer; who despite everything, doughtily rings the church bell prolongedly and often. In what seems altogether a suspiciously put-up job: he is apprehended and put on trial for disturbing the peace of the neighbourhood; and duly sentenced to a term in the Gulag. He is subsequently awarded the No Peace Bell Prize.

Mr. SW

I was brought up in a house on a main road with three bus routes and opposite three schools. It was also under the flightpath to Heathrow. When a Concorde or Trident flew over, the whole building used to shudder. When the road and airport was quiet you could hear motorbikes racing each other down the M4 at over 100mph. And when it was really quiet, you could hear the Piccadilly line and Class 50s on the GWML. Very distinctive engine noise. And there were church bells, both from the CofE Parish Church and the RC Church further down the road. You could smell aviation spirit in the air.

People who complain about farming noises and smells, nearby railway lines, road, factories etc...:rolleyes:
You know nothing.

Moved out many years ago and presently just listening to the foxes.

Trackman

Established Member
I have lived next to railway lines and a motorway and on a flight path - but you get used to it - so much so you don't hear it. I remember leaving a house I lived in for a while and filmed a video in the back garden, the background noise was so loud I couldn't hear what people were saying, but at the time I could hear everything as if they were no background noise.
Moved out many years ago and presently just listening to the foxes.
Mating calls? If you've not heard them before, you would be wondering what the hell was going on.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
A similar situation applies to people buying houses with footpaths (public rights of way) through the garden / land adjoining. Some then complain about 'lack of privacy / security concerns' and apply to have the path 'stopped up' (closed) or diverted. In practice the consideration of the closure / diversion cannot take into account their only recently moving into the property, it has to be considered on its merits.

I wouldn't buy a house near a railway.
I wouldn't be able to relax as I'd be out watching the trains...
I wouldn't buy a house that was also an open station.
I would feel it my duty to always have a supply of cakes in hand for visits by forum members.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I once stayed with a friend who lived under the flight path from Aberdeen airport and he was very apologetic about the noise. As someone who has lived between two RAF bases for much of his life and was used to all sorts of aircraft noise at all times of day, it didn't bother me in the slightest!

It's something you get used to after a while and the only time I really notice these days is when there's additional flying due to a military exercise, or when there are stray Russians nearby.

75A

Established Member
I remember it happening when houses were built next to Goodwood motor racing circuit are people really that dim?
This comes from someone who lives 3 fields away from Bishopscourt racetrack, and loves it.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita

1991-1993, my back garden was adjacent to the Chiltern main line.
1994-2000, back garden adjacent to the London-Cambridge main line.
2000-2005, I lived on Heathrow's arrival path (over Fulham).
2005-2012, I was on the Docks the other side of London City Airport.

Other than the daily Concorde flyover, I found the flights were quieter than the passing trains.
Mind you, the latter were far more satisfying to watch. :D

Last edited:

DunsBus

Established Member
I remember reading about someone who bought a house near a lighthouse that had a foghorn. Cue one very foggy and sleepless night followed by a letter going in to Trinity House asking if the foghorn could be turned off, so that he could get some sleep.

Trinity House wrote back and told him that the alternative to a loud foghorn was a silent shipwreck.

The correspondence ended there. :)

PeterC

Established Member
I used to volunteer at an arts centre and there was a steady trickle of silly complaints.

Best was the guy who picked up a hirer's leaflet and called the police to complain about every gig listed. When they phoned about the one that had been cancelled the attending officers had "words".

Last edited:

al78

Established Member
I'd be wary of buying a house next to a railway line for the potential issue of sleep disturbance, I don't sleep that well at the best of times. I used to live in a quiet neighourhood at the end of a residential road until people moved in next door with screechy kids and yapping dogs, now it is like periodically listening to a hybrid of Crufts and a primary school playground (some dogs get anxious if left alone). It is tolerable although was more annoying during the pandemic when the young children would be screeching about outside my house for up to five hours straight whilst I was trying to work from home. I sometimes wish they would go on the playing field 50 meters away if they want to make that much noise.

Acey

Oh I don't know,quite like having the railway at the bottom of the garden
3S4A3283.JPG

75A

Established Member
I remember reading about someone who bought a house near a lighthouse that had a foghorn. Cue one very foggy and sleepless night followed by a letter going in to Trinity House asking if the foghorn could be turned off, so that he could get some sleep.

Trinity House wrote back and told him that the alternative to a loud foghorn was a silent shipwreck.

The correspondence ended there. :)
Nice one.