• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No trains to call at Altnabreac for the foreseeable future

alex17595

No trains calling at Altnabreac for the foreseeable future.

A quote from the Friends of the Far North Line facebook page

A very concerning situation has been developing for a while at Altnabreac Station on the Far North Line. The station is in a remote part of Caithness and there is no road access apart from a track. ScotRail has issued this news release explaining what is happening:
ScotRail is advising customers that from Sunday, 12 November services on the Far North Line will temporarily not call at Altnabreac station in Caithness.
The train operator has made the decision to withdraw services as it is unable to get access to the station and a neighbouring level-crossing. In the last year fewer than 300 passengers joined services from the station.
The isolated station can only be accessed by a small road five miles long and without being granted access Network Rail and ScotRail staff are unable to carry out essential maintenance needed for the safe operation of the station through winter.
ScotRail’s intention is to return to services as quickly as possible.
Altnabreac, along with eight other stations on the Far North Line, currently operates on a ‘request to stop’ basis. The other seven recently saw the installation of new kiosks that allow passengers to request an approaching train to stop at the station with just the push of a button using a radio system to send a message to the driver’s cab - however this, along with critical maintenance, has not been possible at Altnabreac due to the inability to safely access the station.
David Simpson, ScotRail’s Service Delivery Director, said:
“It is very disappointing that services will temporarily not call at Altnabreac because we can’t access the station safely to perform maintenance and other work during the winter period.
“We know how important services on the Far North Line are to local residents, tourism, and the wider community in areas like Altnabreac where public transport options are limited.
“Withdrawing services is very much a last resort and we would like to reassure the local community that we will be doing everything we can to secure safe access and resume services at Altnabreac as soon as possible.”
Cllr Raymond Bremner, Councillor for Wick and East Caithness and the Leader of Highland Council said:
"It is regrettable that services to Altnabreac are being withdrawn. I've used the station a number of times over the years and it is an important access for one of the most remote areas of Caithness and one that is of historical importance.
“I would hope that this matter can be resolved quickly and speedily so that the communities of this area of Caithness and visitors to the area will once again be able to have unrestricted access to it."
Ian Budd, Convener of the Friends of the Far North Line said:
“We hope to see this extraordinary situation resolved as soon as possible. The Far North Line provides a wonderful opportunity to travel to beautiful and remote locations, as well as providing an essential service to this part of Scotland.”

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
No trains calling at Altnabreac for the foreseeable future.

A quote from the friends of the Far North line facebook page.
Perhaps they (Scotrail staff requiring to do whatever it is they need to do) could access the site by train! Or at least more fully explain what the 'safety' issue is.

alex17595

Perhaps they (Scotrail staff requiring to do whatever it is they need to do) could access the site by train! Or at least more fully explain what the 'safety' issue is.

The comments on the post seem to suggest there's a dispute over the ownership of the platform itself.

Last edited:

Lucy1501

A quick google search brought up this news article from March - https://www.johnogroat-journal.co.u...-as-network-rail-staff-blocked-from-a-307865/.
A stand-off close to a remote railway station in Caithness on Wednesday saw Network Rail workers blocked from accessing the railway line at Altnabreac.

It is understood that two people were involved in blocking the route to the railway on the tracks which lead from the road-end at Loch More to the station. One vehicle is said to have been used to block an access route, while another person apparently "chained themselves" to a gate.

The queue of traffic backed up totalled at least 27 vehicles, and included Network Rail and police vehicles, according to a witness.

A spokesperson for Network Rail said: “Following conversations with a local resident and the British Transport Police, our engineers left the site while we decide on the best way to carry out the required work.”
It does seem rather extreme if the newspapers claims of a resident chaining themself to a gate and blocking the road with vehicles are to be believed.

I’m surprised it’s been allowed to get this bad, but I’d say the station closure would be the wisest decision for the time being. Knoeing how bad the winters can be up there, if railway staff can’t maintain and grit the platform it could become very unsafe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Surely Network Rail (backed by BTP if necessary) have powers under Section 14 of the Regulation of Railways act 1842 to legally undertake any work on safety grounds.

greatkingrat

Established Member
Surely Network Rail (backed by BTP if necessary) have powers under Section 14 of the Regulation of Railways act 1842 to legally undertake any work on safety grounds.
That seems to cover emergencies only, not routine maintenance.

DelW

Established Member
Wouldn't it be possible to use one or more road/rail trucks, to get there via the line itself? I realise it may be some distance from the nearest track access point, but I imagine maintenance staff will be travelling quite a way to get there anyway.

It would have to be done between trains, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem, especially if the vehicle(s) could move clear of the track once on site.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Would be sad if this resulted in permanent closure, but this would be the logical outcome - no sense in spending money on a station that is little more than a curiosity.

snookertam

Maybe my central belt bias here, but I do sometimes think there are those in the North of Scotland who wouldn’t be happy until the whole place was an economic and social wasteland that nobody visited. See also some (not all) of the protests over the NC 500.

Would be sad if this resulted in permanent closure, but this would be the logical outcome - no sense in spending money on a station that is little more than a curiosity.
Not sure this would be a good outcome off the back off what is effectively some vigilante action by certain individuals.

RichA

Network rail have used a RRV to get to the level crossing to maintain it, this character at Altnabrec is extremely unpleasant and comes out of his house immediately and threatens staff with violence. He claims the level crossing is on his land and will damage/remove associated equipment. Police attendance does nothing to temper his anger and position.

Killingworth

Established Member
There's probably more to this report than simple access to the isolatrd station. The access track passes Lochdu Lodge. Resident there was a character with an interesting record. Not something related to the railway directly but isolation is what he may have craved.

Developing a timber loading facility by the station may have needed more equipment than simple maintenance of the tracks.

Taunton

Established Member
Do Network Rail not have the wit to get there by... train?
Well their predecessors obviously did over the last 150 years, well before all terrain vehicles came along. But the new world of Procedures. and One Size Fits All, if it can't be done they way the Procedure says, then you have to abandon it.

I wonder how the PW team manage for the ballast and sleepers there. Or even track inspection.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Network rail have used a RRV to get to the level crossing to maintain it, this character at Altnabrec is extremely unpleasant and comes out of his house immediately and threatens staff with violence. He claims the level crossing is on his land and will damage/remove associated equipment. Police attendance does nothing to temper his anger and position.
Sounds like a right piece of work that guy. I'd be half tempted to let him damage equipment, then have him bang to rights. Although saying that threatening violence should be enough for the Old Bill to get involved.

skyhigh

Established Member
Well their predecessors obviously did over the last 150 years, well before all terrain vehicles came along. But the new world of Procedures. and One Size Fits All, if it can't be done they way the Procedure says, then you have to abandon it.

I wonder how the PW team manage for the ballast and sleepers there. Or even track inspection.
Oh come on, instead of your default moaning maybe consider the fact that there's apparently a violent neighbour.

Post 13 suggests they tried access by rail and still got threatened.

Krokodil

Established Member
Sounds like infrastructure staff need to be equipped with bodycams. This guy needs to end up in court.

The access track passes Lochdu Lodge
A building that apparently relied on the railway for transport of construction materials

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If the situation continues, the whole property should be compulsorily purchased.

Is the 'kiosk' the problem or the condition of the platform? If the former, surely the stop can be compulsory for the time being or the old fashioned method used ( I.e. a hand). Or are passengers being threatened too?

Killingworth

Established Member
The track up to the station had got so bad that Royal Mail had withdrawn deliveries to properties in the area. The owner of the Lodge fought that and won. If Network Rail and other vehicles are breaking it up I can imagine mail deliveries being threatened again. There's more to this story.

The Puddock

Is the 'kiosk' the problem or the condition of the platform? If the former, surely the stop can be compulsory for the time being or the old fashioned method used ( I.e. a hand). Or are passengers being threatened too?
The condition of the platform is the problem, particularly since ice treatement and snow removal is now unable to be carried out. Passengers have also been threatened with violence previously.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

There's a fair bit to be gained on southbound trains by having the kiosk, as there is a blind corner just before the station.

But clearly this guy needs prosecuting for threatening behaviour, or whatever the Scottish version is.

What a extraordinary situation considering how long the station and line have been in existence, I can't see what he is gaining from preventing access for maintenance, and being that unhinged. Obviously staff can't be put at risk.

Killingworth

Established Member
Has it been established who the threatening chap is? There is a person listed at Lochdu Lodge as a company director and he has a somewhat colourful history despite supposedly being a millionaire. Do the dots start to line up?

Bantamzen

Established Member
Has it been established who the threatening chap is? There is a person listed at Lochdu Lodge as a company director and he has a somewhat colourful history despite supposedly being a millionaire. Do the dots start to line up?
Oh I've just looked up who it might be, and if it is the same guy I can see why this person might be behaving in a certain manner..

Killingworth

Established Member
Oh I've just looked up who it might be, and if it is the same guy I can see why this person might be behaving in a certain manner..
If it is prosecution or legal action would not be a new experience, but currently we have seen no proof that it's him.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
but currently we have seen no proof that it's him.
Quite, but there can't be too many other folk in the area for Northern Constabulary's finest to track down and have a word with.

Altnabreac is not exactly Clapham Junction, is it?