• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern City Line services from Moorgate

Status
Not open for further replies.

hornbyfan99

Didn't really know where to put this but anyway:

The GN 313s have Finsbury Park on their destination blinds right?

If they do, how can they turn back at Finsbury Park fron the Northern City Line (NCL) since there is no bi-directionally signaled platform line there, enabling trains to go back to Moorgate etc?

and has this ever happened before?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 170101

Established Member
Either via the Canonbury Single (leads to Dalston Junction) or ECS to Drayton Park to turn there.

A0wen

On Moderation
Either via the Canonbury Single (leads to Dalston Junction) or ECS to Drayton Park to turn there.

I think the OP said if a train runs from the NCL to FPK and terminates how can that turn back? If I've understood your reply that's what happens if a train arrives from WGC or Hertford and terminates at FPK.

I assume it has to run ECS to Hornsey of Alexandra Palace and turn?

Last edited:

jamieP

I think the OP said if a train runs from the NCL to FP and terminates how can that turn back? If I've understood your reply that's what happens if a train arrives from WGC or Hertford and terminates at FP.

I assume it has to run ECS to Hornsey of Alexandra Palace and turn?

Quick run to Hornsey and then across the flyover but cant think of any reason why you would need to teminate at Finsbury Park and head back to Moorgate

Quakkerillo

http://carto.metro.free.fr/cartes/metro-london/

Running to Hornsey and use either of the two dead-end sidings just before the station, before crossing over to the Hornsey deport exit onto the line seems the best option to me though.

And it might be needed in case of disruption North of Finsbury park, when they want to return trains that had been en-route from Moorgate to get back to Moorgate for when service restarts to have some trains ready to take on passengers.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Just because a destination is on the blind doesn't mean the destination is regularly or routinely used.

Is the Down Moorgate bi-directional from Drayton Park? I thought it was, which means that they can turn around at Finsbury Park.

bramling

Veteran Member
Didn't really know where to put this but anyway:

The GN 313s have Finsbury Park on their destination blinds right?

If they do, how can they turn back at Finsbury Park fron the Northern City Line (NCL) since there is no bi-directionally signaled platform line there, enabling trains to go back to Moorgate etc?

and has this ever happened before?

Another possibility is a train could terminate at Finsbury Park (from Moorgate, King's Cross or anywhere else), and then run empty to Hornsey Depot to stable.

There's currently a late evening service from King's Cross which terminates at Finsbury Park from King's Cross, which then returns to King's Cross to form something else, although it's not currently booked to be formed of a class 313.

Trains often reverse at Finsbury Park from the north during engineering works if King's Cross is closed, normally reversing via Canonbury, but it's also possible to reverse off platform 4. This tends to be the outer-suburban services, but it's not inconceivable that a 313 could do these moves.

It's also worth adding that there are some other destinations on the 313 blinds which aren't regularly used, or at all. I could be getting mixed up with something else, but I seem to remember Spalding is on the blinds.

ungreat

If a 313 terminates at Finsbury Park heading north and needs to go back to Moorgate it will either go to the reversing sidings at Hornsey and back over the flyover or go to Bowes Park and use the headshunt
Done it many times
There are many destinations on the blinds that are not used, and Spalding is one of them.

Stampy

There are many destinations on the blinds that are not used, and Spalding is one of them.

Blimey, they'd have to get some speed up leaving Peterborough, as the "juice" runs out at Werrington Junction - some 5 miles later!!!!

greatkingrat

Established Member
In the past there were trains at the end of AM peak that arrived into Moorgate, went back to Finsbury Park in service, then terminated and stabled at Hornsey, and vice versa in PM peak.

Now, they just run ECS the whole way from Moorgate to Hornsey.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

Is this down to the blinds being produced in large numbers and being interchangeable in many cases between diesel and electric units? I remember watching the blinds be wound on 307s and 308s at Leeds and Ilkley and was amused to see Huddersfield, Manchester Victoria, and Wakefield Kirkgate wind past!

ungreat

Is this down to the blinds being produced in large numbers and being interchangeable in many cases between diesel and electric units? I remember watching the blinds be wound on 307s and 308s at Leeds and Ilkley and was amused to see Huddersfield, Manchester Victoria, and Wakefield Kirkgate wind past!

To a degree yes. They would be generic ER blinds

prod_pep

Established Member
Regarding the blinds, the 313s regularly operate football extras when Arsenal play at home which terminate at Finsbury Park from Hertford and Welwyn.

bluenoxid

Established Member
Blimey, they'd have to get some speed up leaving Peterborough, as the "juice" runs out at Werrington Junction - some 5 miles later!!!!

Was Spalding a potential point on the GN electrification plan? I'm surprised that they thoughtvSpalding but not Lincoln.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Going slightly off topic I was always fascinated at some of the destinations you would get when the driver wound the destination blinds round on the old DMU's (Class 101 etc) and on old local buses.

Status
Not open for further replies.