• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern rolling stock changes post electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
What is it about your experience of 319s that leads you to make this comparison?

Personal experiences of travelling in these units by one of my sons and a nephew who work for the same company that have been stated to me in conversation. I see no need to doubt the veracity of what was said to me.

Indeed it was my son, not I, who made the comments about Trabants, much as I wish that I could have created such creativity of thought in terms of comparison.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Ham

Established Member
I drink 6+litres of water every day. I cannot believe someone possibly suggested no one cares if a train has no toilets! I use train toilets on short and long journeys, all the time, every time.

Some might point out that if drink a lot your therefore need to go the loo a lot, some may question as to whether you meant to say pints, whilst others may suggest that you look at the early symptoms of diabeaties or warn you that exsesive water consumption can cause health problems or even death in extream circimstances. Either way drinking 6 litres of water a day is a lot.

FYI The Food Standards Agency (FSA) recommends that if you live in the UK (or somewhere with a similar climate), you should drink 1.2 lites (6-8) glasses of fluid every day. (Although during the summer this is likely to need to go up a little and some people may need to drink a little more due to their lifstyle).

Established Member
Personally I think we should leave the northern subsidy arguments to the north hard done by thread, but certainly I would like to see the subsidy's for northern more on line by line basis and also some of EMT's non Intercity Routes and FGW non Intercity routes and some of LSE's routes as well.

The fact is the 319's are coming whether we like it or not and the plus points are

1. They should improve capacity
2. They are not more Railbuses.
3. It could be worse they could be 313/315's

As for refurbishment arguments and what routes they end up on is clearly going to have to wait while the new Northern and TPX franchises progress.

Last edited:

deltic08

On Moderation
There is more to life than this forum and especially 319s. How can anyone like tbtc find the time or the will to reference all those posts just to score points. I've gone to find a life or a cliff.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
There is more to life than this forum and especially 319s.

More to life than this forum....how dare you say this!!! There are forum members with more belief in RailUK than all of the Islamic followers of ISIS have in their "hobby"..:D:D

With regards to the Class 319 units, I must admit to finding out how much depth of feelings that this class has generated on this thread...nearly approaching the level of those iconic railbus units described as "Newton Heath's Finest"...:roll:

Last edited:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Well, SWT were promised new trains (450s), those trains got built but SWT weren't allowed them (they became 350s and moved elsewhere), SWT's consolation after a number of years is to get cascaded stock from TSGN...

...but you don't see the same number of complaints about "cast offs" from those in SWT-territory as you do from those around Manchester.

SWT were allowed to order additional carriages to run longer services yet Network Rail hadn't agreed to lengthen platforms, so they had surplus carriages on order that they couldn't use.

TPE also got an order of new carriages cut back while LM were refused permission to order additional 172s, so what's so unique about SWT, apart from the number of carriages being cut after the order has been placed rather than before?

It's a carefully skewed set of figures that only uses carefully selected data - only using the infrastructure costs and not the subsidy per passenger mile makes a huge difference (all of those forty pences per mile on Northern add up - compared to the Network South East franchises that are roughly at the break-even mark).

Of course it's not 40p per mile adding up. It's the average that's 40p. Southeastern's 13p per passenger mile subsidy is not due to their commuter services not being profitable, it's due to HS1 services requiring a very high subsidy, apparently much higher than any Northern service.

Someone who works for TfGM once said that any service within a PTE area with less than around 200 passengers is generally not making a profit but outside a PTE area they can be profitable with lower loadings.

I think that the 3+2 issue is overplayed by some. Posters in "the north" like to praise the wonderful modern 333s and like to talk about the capacity/acceleration of 323s but both of these EMUs have 3+2 seats, as do some Pacers/Sprinters. The idea that people won't cope with 3+2 seats on 319s seems odd.

When have people praised the 3+2 seating on 323s? I've never seen a post on here which has done that.

I've seen and written posts about 323s having more standard class seats than a Pendolino when talking about how revenue is split between different TOCs.

I've also seen and written posts about 4 car 319s not having 33% more capacity than a 3 car 323 when people have said about shortened 319s being suitable to replace 323s or when people have said about 319s being a nice big capacity increase over a 323.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
My post is one from somebody who knows what they are talking about when it comes to Metrolink - that's also likely to be the case for jcollins (as it would appear you are trying to have a go at as well as me) and I'd guess that's because the MCURA have an obvious incentive to co-operate with Metrolink and have dialogue with TfGM about it. (I can think of no other reason you'd bring up Knutsford other than to insult jcollins - I don't live there and Metrolink doesn't go there.)

I think pro-Metrolink Moonshot is bitter that Metrolink can't be extended beyond Altrincham. To do so would require AC electrification of the line south of Timperley and buying new dual voltage tram-trains and only running dual voltage tram-trains to Altrincham even if they terminate there. The cost TfGM predicted to extend Metrolink to Knutsford would be similar to the cost of buying enough 2 car DMUs to replace all the 142s so was dismissed as non-economically viable. I'd prefer the latter option even if it means the difference between Knutsford having 2tph to Manchester and 4tph to Manchester.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moonshot

Established Member
SWT were allowed to order additional carriages to run longer services yet Network Rail hadn't agreed to lengthen platforms, so they had surplus carriages on order that they couldn't use.

TPE also got an order of new carriages cut back while LM were refused permission to order additional 172s, so what's so unique about SWT, apart from the number of carriages being cut after the order has been placed rather than before?

Of course it's not 40p per mile adding up. It's the average that's 40p. Southeastern's 13p per passenger mile subsidy is not due to their commuter services not being profitable, it's due to HS1 services requiring a very high subsidy, apparently much higher than any Northern service.

Someone who works for TfGM once said that any service within a PTE area with less than around 200 passengers is generally not making a profit but outside a PTE area they can be profitable with lower loadings.

When have people praised the 3+2 seating on 323s? I've never seen a post on here which has done that.

I've seen and written posts about 323s having more standard class seats than a Pendolino when talking about how revenue is split between different TOCs.

I've also seen and written posts about 4 car 319s not having 25% more capacity compared to a 3 car 323 when people have said about shortened 319s being suitable to replace 323s or when people have said about 319s being a nice big capacity increase over a 323.

I think pro-Metrolink Moonshot is bitter that Metrolink can't be extended beyond Altrincham. To do so would require AC electrification of the line south of Timperley and buying new dual voltage tram-trains and only running dual voltage tram-trains to Altrincham even if they terminate there. The cost TfGM predicted to extend Metrolink to Knutsford would be similar to the cost of buying enough 2 car DMUs to replace all the 142s so was dismissed as non-economically viable. I'd prefer the latter option even if it means the difference between Knutsford having 2tph to Manchester and 4tph to Manchester.

Why would I be bitter about that ? I rather think its not something that I ( or indeed you ) have any influence over. But the fact remains that the tram does pass right by my house , and very welcome it is too. If however trams were extended to the Knutsford area and they proved very welcome to residents of Knutsford, I dont think anyone could complain....

northwichcat

Veteran Member
[/B]

Why would I be bitter about that ? I rather think its not something that I ( or indeed you ) have any influence over. But the fact remains that the tram does pass right by my house , and very welcome it is too. If however trams were extended to the Knutsford area and they proved very welcome to residents of Knutsford, I dont think anyone could complain....

You've posted many times about how much better you think it would be if the Mid-Cheshire line (and certain other local lines in to Manchester) were to converted and each time dismissed any feedback about why it can't be literally converted, like freight flows, diversionary routes etc.

Moonshot

Established Member
You've posted many times about how much better you think it would be if the Mid-Cheshire line (and certain other local lines in to Manchester) were to converted and each time dismissed any feedback about why it can't be literally converted, like freight flows, diversionary routes etc.

Operationally it may not be possible just now for those very reasons, but if those hurdles were overcome and resulted in a public transport service providing 5 or 10 trams per hour to the residents of Knutsford and was very well used, i dont see how anyone could complain....

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Are you sure that Bolton to Wigan is only two trains an hour? I thought it was three?

The suggestions of chopping/changing routes that we've seen recently seem aimed along the lines of tidying up routes in line with electrification and with an eye on CP6 electrification.

On checking again it is 3tph, the last time I checked it was 2tph but maybe I looked at an off-pattern hour or a day when there was engineering work.

What you have to remember is Victoria will have limited capacity for terminating services from the west and Stalybridge will be the only electrified terminus to the East so there may not be scope for the dream service pattern of enthusiasts passionate about maximising the use of OHEs. AFAIK there's been no official proposals for changing Southport/Wigan services other than Kirkby-Wigan becoming a self-contained shuttle.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
What you have to remember is Victoria will have limited capacity for terminating services from the west and Stalybridge will be the only electrified terminus to the East so there may not be scope for the dream service pattern of enthusiasts passionate about maximising the use of OHEs. AFAIK there's been no official proposals for changing Southport/Wigan services other than Kirkby-Wigan becoming a self-contained shuttle.

It's the DfT who are quite reasonably expecting Northern to use the wires that have been expensively erected (and to maximise the number of DMUs cascaded).
The obvious next step is wiring to Rochdale (and Southport).
Meanwhile you'd expect combinations of something like Clitheroe/Southport-Rochdale, along with Wigan/Liverpool-Stalybridge.
The original NW project did not even extend east of Victoria.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Operationally it may not be possible just now for those very reasons, but if those hurdles were overcome and resulted in a public transport service providing 5 or 10 trams per hour to the residents of Knutsford and was very well used, i dont see how anyone could complain....

The way of overcoming the hurdles is a £200m investment in tram-trains. If that much was spent on improving the Altrincham service by removing the single line bottleneck around Navigation Road and extending the service to Knutsford I think a lot of people would complain, given the number of cutbacks Cheshire East council have made over the last few years, as well as the number of projects which should have gone ahead like resurfacing main roads. I think ensuring there's a bus link to the nearest hospital and that the road to the nearest hospital is in an acceptable condition is more important than a glam tram-train project.

If you're thinking an alternative is to stop using the line for freight then the first thing is Greater Manchester needs to find a way of getting rid of it's waste that doesn't involve transporting it to Cheshire to incinerate. Maybe drop a bomb on Ashton to create some landfill space and then transport the rubbish to there in converted Metrolink vehicles? :)

Moonshot

Established Member
The way of overcoming the hurdles is a £200m investment in tram-trains. If that much was spent on improving the Altrincham service by removing the single line bottleneck around Navigation Road and extending the service to Knutsford I think a lot of people would complain, given the number of cutbacks Cheshire East council have made over the last few years, as well as the number of projects which should have gone ahead like resurfacing main roads. I think ensuring there's a bus link to the nearest hospital and that the road to the nearest hospital is in an acceptable condition is more important than a glam tram-train project.

If you're thinking an alternative is to stop using the line for freight then the first thing is Greater Manchester needs to find a way of getting rid of it's waste that doesn't involve transporting it to Cheshire to incinerate. Maybe drop a bomb on Ashton to create some landfill space and then transport the rubbish to there in converted Metrolink vehicles? :)

Drop a bomb on Ashton? I dont understand why anyone would say that?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There are flows of freight to and from plants in the Northwich area, for which there is no practicable alternative other than the Mid Cheshire Line. In principle this could share the track with tram-trains, but not with trams as these would require exclusive use of their tracks and single line for trams wouldn't be workable over that distance.

On the Southport line the obvious thing to do is run all the Southports on the non-electrified Atherton line and the Wigan terminators via Bolton.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
It's the DfT who are quite reasonably expecting Northern to use the wires that have been expensively erected (and to maximise the number of DMUs cascaded).

Do you have any evidence that DfT are actively looking for Northern to revise service patterns to maximise use of OHEs even if there is a strong business case for retaining a through service? When talking about Barrow, Windermere, Hull, Scarborough and Middlesbrough in the TPE consultation they say retaining through services to Manchester is an option even if the lines aren't electrified.

The original NW project did not even extend east of Victoria.

Stalybridge was added before North TPE, while Wigan-Bolton was the last bit to be added on and any changes to Southport services seems to be rumours.
On the Southport line the obvious thing to do is run all the Southports on the non-electrified Atherton line and the Wigan terminators via Bolton.

Network Rail are to lengthen platforms on the Wigan-Southport line to be able to take 4 car 156s. Can all stations on the Atherton line take 4 car 156s or would a diversion of the Manchester-Bolton-Southport service on to the Atherton line require additional infrastructure work to allow 4 car 156s?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Do you have any evidence that DfT are actively looking for Northern to revise service patterns to maximise use of OHEs even if there is a strong business case for retaining a through service? When talking about Barrow, Windermere, Hull, Scarborough and Middlesbrough in the TPE consultation they say retaining through services to Manchester is an option even if the lines aren't electrified.

From the Northern prospectus, p72:
We expect to specify that, where electric operation of services is enabled by the North West electrification programme, these services should primarily be operated by electric units.

There was a similar statement in the failed GW franchise spec.
It's a bit weaselly, like all DfT statements, but I read it as electric first, diesel second.
There's plenty of scope to vary the Northern service patterns while maintaining frequency and wider connectivity.
There's no reason why there could not be electric workings Alderley Edge-Preston, say, worked by either 323s or 319s.
The scope widens every year as NW/TP wiring expands.

deltic08

On Moderation
There's plenty of scope to vary the Northern service patterns while maintaining frequency and wider connectivity.
There's no reason why there could not be electric workings Alderley Edge-Preston, say, worked by either 323s or 319s.
The scope widens every year as NW/TP wiring expands.

I agree. Carnforth-Barrow should follow on from Windermere branch as in-fill to eliminate diesel pockets.

Before Paul comments, the tide was in and I can't swim!

Last edited by a moderator:

ianhr

Oh, does that mean that Northern will have to revert to using EMUs for the Hazel Grove diagrams rather than running DMUs under the wires as they do now?

user15681

Established Member
To add a little more about the actual moves... It's said that the next one (around 01/08) will be hauled by a 57 again, but after that it's hoped the next 8 will go up under their own power.

Harryn9000

no wires in to Liverpool yet on the route they come in with 57 that why there dragged. unless they go via WCML we will see as that the only wires into Liverpool atm

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Oh, does that mean that Northern will have to revert to using EMUs for the Hazel Grove diagrams rather than running DMUs under the wires as they do now?

I'm not a clairvoyant, but if a Hazel Grove-Preston service remained after electrification it would be crazy to run it with DMUs.
Those DMUs should be doubling up services which have to remain diesel worked, and routes should be altered accordingly.

westcoaster

Established Member
To add a little more about the actual moves... It's said that the next one (around 01/08) will be hauled by a 57 again, but after that it's hoped the next 8 will go up under their own power.

they will need to keep the shoe gear on then, or moved from hornsey.as shoe gear is removed.

b0b

Established Member
Just about the only example I can think of in my own lifetime is the ECML- where there was nothing suitable to be cascaded anyway- for related services where there was (the North Berwick branch and Leeds-Doncaster locals) cascaded stock WAS used (305s and 307s respectively).

Or the electrification between Farringdon and Blackfriars leading to the order of shiny new 319s?

AM9

Veteran Member
Or the electrification between Farringdon and Blackfriars leading to the order of shiny new 319s?

So where else would BR have got 86 secondhand 4 car 750V DC/25Kv ac EMUs from in 1988?

Status
Not open for further replies.