• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern - Trainee Driver - Manchester (14/03/24)

scrapy

Established Member
Sorry but shifts can start at any time so to say you won’t be travelling during peak times to and from work is a nonsense.
That is true but generally early shifts for driver start before 7am and finish by 4pm, late shifts start between 10am and 4pm and finish between 7pm and 3am. So there isn't much travel at peak time. There are shifts at Victoria that finish about 10pm and it can take over an hour to get out of the staff car park on event nights at the arena, but staff won't be penalisesld on their application for that either. They will take the typical time to get to work.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
yeah but someone's gotta get the trains out to the station early in the morning
You book on at your home depot - in this case Victoria or Piccadilly. If required to take a train off Newton Heath you will get a taxi there after you have booked on.

Travel time to Newton Heath from home is completely irrelevant.

TomTurton1991

Ive just seen my email informing me that my application wont be taken any further (5pm yesterday). From what i can see my travel time on my phone is anything from 40 mins to 1hr:30 mins. i live in chelford, just wondering if crewe ever take on trainee roles their as im only 30mins from there.

United84

Ive just seen my email informing me that my application wont be taken any further (5pm yesterday). From what i can see my travel time on my phone is anything from 40 mins to 1hr:30 mins. i live in chelford, just wondering if crewe ever take on trainee roles their as im only 30mins from there.
I got the same message when I applied last time and a friend got it this morning. We both live in a village a couple of stops from Chelford. I wonder if where we live isn't within the 45 mins for Northern. They don't have a depot at Crewe, the only TOCs at Crewe are WMT and TfW, Freightliner and DRS have depots on the freight side. Keep looking and best of luck!

richfoz84

I got the same message when I applied last time and a friend got it this morning. We both live in a village a couple of stops from Chelford. I wonder if where we live isn't within the 45 mins for Northern. They don't have a depot at Crewe, the only TOCs at Crewe are WMT and TfW, Freightliner and DRS have depots on the freight side. Keep looking and best of luck!
Send you a DM

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Whilst travel time is of course an issue, trainee jobs remain incredibly competitive and there could be any myriad of reasons why you were not progressed unfortunately.

Rebekah555

This is what mine says on google maps too. My application still says under consideration as of now

TomTurton1991

Whilst travel time is of course an issue, trainee jobs remain incredibly competitive and there could be any myriad of reasons why you were not progressed unfortunately.
yes that is true, the reason for my thinking is that from the cut off time on Sunday night 12o’clock and i had a answer Tuesday at around 5pm. it was a quick decision, which made me think the first thing they do is discard the ones with too long travel time. But you are right it very well could of been due to other factors.

Rebekah555

yes that is true, the reason for my thinking is that from the cut off time on Sunday night 12o’clock and i had a answer Tuesday at around 5pm. it was a quick decision, which made me think the first thing they do is discard the ones with too long travel time. But you are right it very well could have been due to other factors.
I did read somewhere on here I think that the first thing they check is travel time to cut down the applications. Maybe you’re right, good luck on any future opportunities

CJBX

Travel time time seems to be the first sifting factor it seems. My friend has applied for this and is in the 'under consideration' stage. He does however only live 15 mins from depot.
I did read somewhere on here I think that the first thing they check is travel time to cut down the applications. Maybe you’re right, good luck on any future opportunities
Newton le willows should be ok for Pic or Vic, I suppose it just depends what they use to calculate time. For example in moderate to heavy traffic, a motorcycle is infinitely quicker than a car. However in snow or ice it's likely slower.

If you are 'under consideration' I'd be confident in saying they have ok'd you for the distance.

Rebekah555

Travel time time seems to be the first sifting factor it seems. My friend has applied for this and is in the 'under consideration' stage. He does however only live 15 mins from depot.

Newton le willows should be ok for Pic or Vic, I suppose it just depends what they use to calculate time. For example in moderate to heavy traffic, a motorcycle is infinitely quicker than a car. However in snow or ice it's likely slower.

If you are 'under consideration' I'd be confident in saying they have ok'd you for the distance.
Wait and see seems like it’s very competitive and only a few people get through the application stage. Keep my fingers crossed and good luck to your friend

CJBX

Papersift and OPC are frustratingly where it's very black or white and you can't really showcase you have the right personality for the role. I'd always try and tell people you have to really really shine on your application form. Once you're in front of a DTM you get to let your personality come through. You'll be fine, best of luck. If your current shift work was like my previous shift work, "the job", you'll find the interview process familiar.

Rebekah555

Papersift and OPC are frustratingly where it's very black or white and you can't really showcase you have the right personality for the role. I'd always try and tell people you have to really really shine on your application form. Once you're in front of a DTM you get to let your personality come through. You'll be fine, best of luck. If your current shift work was like my previous shift work, "the job", you'll find the interview process familiar.
I work in nursing at the moment so I do shift work. I have tried my best on the application to show I have transferable skills. It’s so hard sometimes to be complimentary about yourself, I’m not use to that and I haven’t applied for a job in 11 years

Bubba1

Hi everyone, it’s my first time applying to be a train driver. I’ve applied for Manchester with northern it says that you have to live within 45 minutes of the station but doesn’t specify which Manchester station does anybody know? It also says peak time travel does anyone know what time of day they check this with thank you

Hi, I also applied for the job just wondering if you have heard anything back ?
I’m still on under consideration x

TacoTraveller

From previous application experience as others have said, it can take months to hear anything. My last application was October and I didn't hear anything about it until January.

If you really want to check the portal, just do it once at the end of your working week, even if your portal does change the process in general is pretty slow, so you won't miss any updates if you do make it through.

Rebekah555

Will do. X

Anyone had any updates ? I’m still on under review.
No mine still says under consideration, from what everyone says it can take months. Try to be patient and just look at the end of the week, otherwise you’re going to drive yourself insane. If mine changes or I get an email, I promise I will log in and let you know but I don’t expect to hear anything for another couple of weeks :smile:

richfoz84

It’s a long old process. Try not to stress about it.

Piccadilly has approx 20 vacancies to fill this year (not sure on other Northern depots).
Also, I've no idea how big the pool currently is. Maybe you’ll all progress along nicely!

Best of luck to all who are applying!

CJBX

I heard around 4000 people applied this time round, for Northern across the board. My mate is still waiting to hear anything about Picadilly too.