• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Trains survey on fare evasion

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Apols if this is elsewhere - if so please move this post - but interesting to note Northern are currently doing a short on line survey about fare evasion - from an e-mail sent to me:

SEE LINK IN POST #5

This survey will remain open until 1600 on Wednesday 2nd November 2022.

Fare evasion is a rail industry issue that affects all train operators. Northern undertakes on-going revenue enforcement activity to tackle this problem and publicises the results of that activity in the media. We are keen to understand your thoughts on our media coverage.

This survey should take approximately 12 minutes to complete and, to show our thanks, you’ll have the opportunity to be entered into our prize draw. There are 1 x £50, 2 x £25 Love2shop vouchers up for grabs.

One question relates to the case of naming and shaming children at schools with frequent fare evasion issues, that I recall was mentioned on this forum not so long ago.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
That's a unique link sent to you, so it won't work for anyone else to access the survey.

WesternLancer

Established Member
That's a unique link sent to you, so it won't work for anyone else to access the survey.
ah, that's a shame. I guess you need to sign up to Northern's surveys or other on line info to get it perhaps.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It's full of leading questions designed to make you agree with Northern's preconceived attitude that anyone without a valid ticket must be a 'fare dodger'. No different to most other surveys, then!

trover

One of the questions “What are your feelings towards people who ‘fare dodge’ on Northern services?”

Makes me think: What are your feelings towards Northern who ‘DR dodge’ with the 10pm PTotD excuse?:|

kermit

One of the questions “What are your feelings towards people who ‘fare dodge’ on Northern services?”

Makes me think: What are your feelings towards Northern who ‘DR dodge’ with the 10pm PTotD excuse?:|
Is it possible to undertake the survey and use that very perceptive answer, to get a point across to Northern?

trover

Is it possible to undertake the survey and use that very perceptive answer, to get a point across to Northern?
They won’t care. The whole point of the ‘survey’ is to back their ads/posters/campaigns by claiming xx% of the customers support them to combat fare evasion, and perhaps quote some of the passengers’ responses to show how outrageous, unfair and disgusting they think fare evasion is.

kermit

There is a free text box at the end where you can make any other comments.
Thanks - I've now used that facility. The whole survey is a shameful example of the genre, in terms of slanting the questions to get the answers they want.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Thanks - I've now used that facility. The whole survey is a shameful example of the genre, in terms of slanting the questions to get the answers they want.
Yes, often the case tho - just a way to legitimise an approach I guess. I think Transport Focus do proper survey based research.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Free text boxes are ignored.
They're certainly not ignored when it's a statutory consultation!

However, this is not one of those, so Northern are free to completely ignore the whole thing if they so wish. They also don't have to disclose what the results are and what they've done with them (unless you're able to access something like that via Freedom of Information, which is doubtful).

Northern's preconceived attitude that anyone without a valid ticket must be a 'fare dodger'.
The survey and the press releases Northern put out are just so revealing of the attitudes at senior levels in the company towards their customers. A business which wants to be taken seriously just can't go around saying things like "Doncaster Dodgers".

Last edited:

tspaul26

Established Member
They're certainly not ignored when it's a statutory consultation!

However, this is not one of those, so Northern are free to completely ignore the whole thing if they so wish. They also don't have to disclose what the results are and what they've done with them (unless you're able to access something like that via Freedom of Information, which is doubtful).
Since Northern is now under public control, I do wonder if the Gunning principles (relating to the conduct of consultations, including non-statutory consultations) could be applied to them as a public body.

An interesting little problem to be sure - which may well get an answer in a couple of years if something I’m working on for a client at the moment ends up being challenged in the High Court.

Status
Not open for further replies.