• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nuneham Viaduct shut - Didcot- Oxford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimini

Established Member
Latest industry rumours suggest the line will be closed for at least 12 weeks, maybe more.

Not surprising to be honest if that does turn out to be accurate, albeit mildly frustrating from a regular user perspective.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mark J

Not surprising to be honest if that does turn out to be accurate, albeit mildly frustrating from a regular user perspective.
I agree.

Not to mention future service disruption when the Botley Rd Bridge is replaced during the Oxford Station upgrade.

MarkyT

Established Member
That date of 1929 on thames.me.uk has got onto the wrong page - it relates to Appleford viaduct. The bit about "a single bow structure" clearly belongs there.

If you rely on the two pages of the Great Western Railway Magazine, quoted by Culham Ticket Office (Nuneham and Appleford), and on some news reports from 1931, you get this sequence:

The first steel bridges at Nuneham and Appleford date from 1856, were very similar, and each extended as a viaduct - to the north (Nuneham) or both ends (Appleford).

The bridge part at Nuneham was replaced in 1906/7 with the current two-span structure. The viaduct part was kept (but perhaps shortened a little). New piers were built mid-river and on the north side; I have no information on what was done to the southern abutment. It must have had new bearings, perhaps allowing for expansion; on the north pier the girders appear to just sit on blocks of concrete.

Appleford was all replaced in 1927/29, with a single-span bridge and brick arches. This bridge had "roller bearings". The new bridge is slightly to the east of the old one, so that two tracks could be kept open throughout the work.

The viaduct part at Nuneham was rebuilt in brick (finishing) in 1930, following the pattern used at Appleford.
Thanks for the detailed clarification. The 'single bow' reference also struck me as rather odd when the bridge clearly has two with a central pillar in the river today.

EdChap

There is a video from Mark Hopwood on Twitter where he explains the problem and what they are trying to do now with the service. Interestingly he asslo mentions that they are looking at medium term plans. Perhaps that fits with the comment above that it could be at least 12 weeks.

webweasel

I have no information on what was done to the southern abutment
Hi Stuving. From the Culham Ticket Office site:
A similar pier is built where the new structure adjoins the old at the western end; and the abutment at the opposite end has been faced to harmonise
I take this to mean the southern 1850 abutment was retained but refaced.

There is a video from Mark Hopwood on Twitter where he explains the problem and what they are trying to do now with the service. Interestingly he asslo mentions that they are looking at medium term plans. Perhaps that fits with the comment above that it could be at least 12 weeks.
Stabilise it now and then replace the structure in the medium term maybe?

That Twitter link here btw:

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
Stabilise it now and then replace the structure in the medium term maybe?
It sounds like anything they could do quickly wouldn't last long enough to get the proper repair in before it fell again. That would mean that NR need to do something more serious before they can reopen it at all - whether that's pumping in grout for 12 weeks or demolishing the abutment and rebuilding it on a proper foundation raft or something else entirely we will have to wait and see.

class ep-09

If the condition of this structure allows single line working, this would seem a possible option which one hopes, is or has been, considered by NR and its no doubt numerous Consultants.
No need for single line working , both lines are bi-directional between Didcot Nth and Oxford ( Wolvercot Jn) , though “wrong” direction signals spacing is much bigger than “right” direction and slower speed .

SynthD

Established Member
What were the works they were preparing for? It sounds like they already intended to have access for lorries before the closure, before the 5mph limit?

webweasel

It sounds like anything they could do quickly wouldn't last long enough to get the proper repair in before it fell again. That would mean that NR need to do something more serious before they can reopen it at all - whether that's pumping in grout for 12 weeks or demolishing the abutment and rebuilding it on a proper foundation raft or something else entirely we will have to wait and see.
It would have to be fairly major, but some piles and a steel goal-post could prop the truss and take some load off the abutment, possibly deferring a full re-build until plans were better developed.

LYRobert

Bit in bold - British Railways had 5 different coupling codes for DMUs as far back as the 1960s.

BR also introduced the HSTs without buffer beams or vacuum braking.

I'm not sure you can argue that the "fragmentation" of the railways since privatisation has led to this. After all the Turbos in question were built and delivered to BR spec.
Yes, I know all that - but it doesn't dilute my point, which is that we've contrived to have things running on the railway which can't be coupled together.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Rather than cram multiple discussion points into one thread, can we use this one for infrastructure updates, and use the following to discuss potential alternative provision and travel advice, respectively:

If anyone wants to discuss anything else, feel free to create a new thread in the appropriate forum section; anything that is of a speculative nature belongs in the Speculative Discussion forum please.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Here's a photo which gives an idea of the situation: the link was shared in the chat thread of a game I was playing earlier:
https://imgur.io/a/HnwsKXP

Another image which came my way earlier shows the state of one of the supporting walls: it doesn't look good at all and it is tempting to wonder if the best solution would be immediate replacement of the bridge without bothering to do a temporary fix first!

Dave

The exile

Established Member
Here's a photo which gives an idea of the situation: the link was shared in the chat thread of a game I was playing earlier:

Another image which came my way earlier shows the state of one of the supporting walls: it doesn't look good at all and it is tempting to wonder if the best solution would be immediate replacement of the bridge without bothering to do a temporary fix first!

Dave
That photo suggests that discussions about single line vs bi-di working are somewhat moot!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Dave
The linked photo appeared here yesterday, in post #243.

The description of the other photo you have seen sounds like it might be the one posted on Monday, #53?

jimm

Established Member
There were no trains over Nuneham Viaduct last Sunday (2nd April).

I was planning to go to Oxford by train, only to discover rail replacement buses from Didcot Parkway to Oxford.

Didn't realise train services had briefly restarted over the route on Monday morning.
The closure on Sunday was planned for work at Oxford, including moving signal cables in the vicinity of Botley Road bridge as part of the preparatory work there.

We’re back out on track in Oxford from tomorrow night, re-routing signal cables ready for layout changes. It’s #2 in a series of weekend shifts either side of a 9-day chunk in July/Aug. It’s all for our station and area upgrade for a greater railway

I'm sure the people working on the bridge took advantage of the opportunity to get on site for an extended period as well, but things were clearly too far gone to make a difference.

Jimini

Established Member
I'm mildly surprised that it's not marked on the NR website as major disruption, given the route's popularity and the potential length of the closure. Currently it's fourth on the list of disruptions, including one that doesn't kick in until 2000 tonight (Leatherhead <> Horsham closure).

mr_moo

What were the works they were preparing for? It sounds like they already intended to have access for lorries before the closure, before the 5mph limit?
Yes, the abutment was known to be sinking. Original plan was for substantial grout infill to stabilise the abutment. That's what the road was for. That didn't quite get done before the more major failure though, and now the job is a lot bigger.
There's several options being looked at of course at the mo.

stuving

I've been hunting for more pictures of this abutment, and here's a couple of useful ones.

This geograph picture was taken in 2009, from the other end from the one in post #243. (© Copyright Steve Daniels and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.)
1345749_bf5f7aae.jpg

Judged by eye, the south abutment has dropped more since 2009 that it had up to then.

The Oxford Mail reported the closure on Tuesday in these terms:
The railway line between Didcot Parkway and Oxford will not reopen until late April, Network Rail has announced.

The bridge was closed throughout yesterday (April 3) due to emergency repairs to a bridge.

Safety concerns were raised after monitoring equipment detected increasingly significant movements of the Nuneham Viaduct, which crosses the River Thames between Culham and Radley.

This is despite Network Rail doing stabilising works in recent weeks.
That article has some pictures from across the river, of which this gives the best view:
16631775.jpg

You can see how both wing walls have been left behind by the sinking of the abutment. But the abutment itself does seem to have sunk as a solid piece, and kept not far off level as it did it.

As usual, there are questions it raises. Such as if the bridge has sunk relative to the embankment, why has that parapet column tilted the other way? And what is that signal doing there?

Last edited:

59CosG95

Established Member
I've been hunting for more pictures of this abutment, and here's a couple of useful ones.

This geograph picture was taken in 2009, from the other end from the one in post #53. (© Copyright Steve Daniels and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.)
1321826_04fa5da8.jpg

Judged by eye, the south abutment has dropped more since 2009 that it had up to then.

The Oxford Mail reported the closure on Tuesday in these terms:

That article has some pictures from across the river, of which this gives the best view:
16631775.jpg

You can see how both wing walls have been left behind by the sinking of the abutment. But the abutment itself does seem to have sunk as a solid piece, and kept not far off level as it did it.

As usual, there are questions it raises. Such as if the bridge has sunk relative to the embankment, why has that parapet column tilted the other way? And what is that signal doing there?
I don't believe the signal is structurally part of the bridge. But, depending on the works involved, it may have to be moved - fortunately this should be easy with that specific type of signal as it sits on a precast modular R.C. base (available off the shelf at Unipart Rail) in most cases.

Meerkat

Established Member
I would need some convincing before I was willing to work under there!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

[…]

As usual, there are questions it raises. Such as if the bridge has sunk relative to the embankment, why has that parapet column tilted …And what is that signal doing there?
I believe the signal visible is over on the down side a good few yards away from the bridge. The picture is compressing the view.

Ah, I just found a Oxford - Didcot rear cab view video on YouTube, unfortunately it‘s speeded up, but at around 25-26 seconds you can see the various signals are not that near the bridge:

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member

This suggests the problem is under the entire width of the bridge which will take a long time to fix. Not enocuraging.
The parapet column could tilt in any direction as the ground has presumably been moved around under it when the bridge sank. The signal is controlling trains, and presumably is structurally irrelevant to the bridge and cannot be anywhere else (within a few metres) without affecting operational capability.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Latest industry rumour of a reopening date is 9th July. Would this provide enough time for total replacement of the bridge?

stuving

There are several very similar geograph pictures, and I got the wrong one (from the south). This is yet another one from the south, but better framed:
1321820_a188f37a.jpg

(© Copyright Steve Daniels and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.)

I've changed the one on my post to match the words.

A0wen

On Moderation
Anyone want to take bets on which reopenings now get touted in the Speculative Ideas thread on the basis it would provide a diversionary route for this closure ?

Now, found one which I didn't see coming - somebody's had the crayons out....

"A study is needed to rebuild a #Oxford-#Thame-Princes Risborough for more options also a Wheatley/M40 Parkway Station"

But since this is from the, ahem, misguided individuals, who think reopening Northampton - Market Harborough is a good idea, I'll treat it with the respect it deserves.....

bentterz

The last day of rail traffic over Nuneham Viaduct was last Saturday, with the 22:38 to Paddington and 22:19 from Reading being the last services over it.

Trains were crawling along over the top of it last Saturday (at 5mph?), and only one at a time. There was a freight train on the opposite line waiting for the XC service I was on to cross the bridge.

This issue has been known for a while, with 20mph speed restrictions in place for quite a while. Why wasn't proper work done until it was on the verge of collapsing?

I also see the National Rail App hasn't yet been updated. It still shows rail services running to Oxford in both directions this coming bank holiday weekend.

I went over it Monday morning at around 09:00 on the 06:40 Hereford > London.

Status
Not open for further replies.