• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oxford - Bromsgrove via Birmingham New Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stargull

I was a bit surprised recently when using the National Rail planner for a journey from Oxford to Bromsgrove. The planner returns routes via Worcester, unless I force it to go via BNS. Going via Birmingham saves half an hour, but requires two separate tickets.

Why is this not a valid route? I assume it's because the distance is shorter via Worcester, even if the time isn't.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
The routing guide allows map LH only, see http://data.atoc.org/routeing-maps, which doesn't include your "via Birmingham" route.

(Of course there's more to the routing guide than the mapped routes, but in this case I can't think that any of the other routing rules apply, there are no through train services and via Birmingham is going to be a significantly longer route as you say.)

I used to travel Oxford-Macclesfield in the early 1980s and I would normally go via Worcester out of preference - even then the trains on the direct Oxford-Birmingham services were overcrowded. This was well before the "routing guide" and I know it'd not be a valid route today, but at the time it was fine.

kieron

Established Member
The other side to this is the fact that Oxford-Bromsgrove tickets are quite a bit cheaper than Oxford-Barnt Green or Banbury-Bromsgrove ones (either of which is valid via Birmingham). I suppose they could create "via Birmingham" tickets for Oxford-Bromsgrove, but they'd also be more expensive.

There are through tickets now which are valid for an Oxford-Birmingham-Bromsgrove journey (so you can start or finish short of the origin or destination on the ticket), but it would be cheaper to split somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.