• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Part time Hours ScotRail

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LCC106

Established Member
Are you currently a conductor there? Qualified and working elsewhere? Or unqualified?

If no. 1, ask your manager for their flexible working policy. If no. 2, no harm in emailing their recruitment or HR team. If no. 3, when the next recruitment drive comes up email them to ask if part time roles are available. I don’t work for them btw.

LoogaBarooga

I don't know any guards who were employed on a part time basis so I'm not sure how likely it would be.

northscots

Only part time conductors I know are semi retired who job share. I don't believe any are hired part time as it wouldn't work with shift patterns

Scotrail84

Established Member
ScotRail to my knowledge do not employ part-time Conductors, this has to be applied for internally and theres no guarantee of getting it either.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Jobshare is certainly a thing with conductors at ScotRail. You ask via your traincrew manager (or current equivalent) and a timescale for action can be discussed. Often it can help if you can find "another partner in crime" to share with - or are able to fill a job share vacancy at the next timetable change.

There is generally no automatic right to this but once you have reached 40 years service then, AFAIAA, it's guaranteed.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
There is generally no automatic right to this but once you have reached 40 years service then, AFAIAA, it's guaranteed.

How many people have FOURTY years service?! Scotrail hasn't even existed that long and that's before privatisation.

How many people have FOURTY years service?! Scotrail hasn't even existed that long and that's before privatisation.

The 40yr service in regards to automatic right to reduced hours in ScotRail is applied to staff that have 40 continuous years of service with "ScotRail". Basically, of they have not had a break in service from BR days to now ie; never moved to a freight company at privatisation and then moved back across to ScotRail.

Still plenty of staff in ScotRail that will achieve 40yrs continuous service. Ultimately, the policy will require to be ammended in the future as the natural wastage of BR era staff occurs.

chuff chuff

There are quite a few no far off of the 40 years including myself and I will be taking advantage of this.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
If you've got ex-BR YTS staff now in the conductor grade, conceivably they could be approaching 40yrs service in their mid-50s

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
If you've got ex-BR YTS staff now in the conductor grade, conceivably they could be approaching 40yrs service in their mid-50s

True, but the numbers are going to be single digit I imagine, plus you have to actually want to do part-time work.

Charladenz

I've never seen an advertised part-time post for ScotRail and I presume that they are difficult to come by once in, given the fact there's going to be a job share partner required to cover timetables of a FT role.

scotraildriver

Established Member
There are 111 part time job share drivers at ScotRail, the majority of whom have 40 years service. It's a no brainer really, half the hours but considerably more than half the take home pay due to not paying higher rate tax and overtime if you want it.

Leeds Driver

It still baffles me the railway attitude to part time working. It is commonplace in every other industry, including 24/7 services like the NHS. I’m pretty sure a TOC will be taken to court and lose in the near future.