• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passed my conductor assessment with Northern- now on hold!

Status
Not open for further replies.

so_nervous

Not sure how to feel but just got an email from Northern confirming I met the required criteria and they will contact me within two weeks. But having logged into their website, my status is ''on hold following successful conductor assessment''.

Im glad I met the required standard just gutted I am not being offered a role now!

I applied for the role maybe 12 weeks ago so the whole thing has felt so agonising and drawn out! Not sure how to feel.

Anyone else in a similar boat?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

so_nervous

It's a strange feeling isn't it?! I'm aware it's 'good' news, but still feel a bit disappointed!

Mattm123

It's a strange feeling isn't it?! I'm aware it's 'good' news, but still feel a bit disappointed!

Hmm I can see where you are coming from. But when you think hundreds of people would have applied and you have been successful. Don't play it down.

Sandiman

I've had the same email today.
I remember at the assessment they said the next course was beginning 16th Sept, does this mean I haven't been successful for that.
If not how long could I be on hold?

Last edited:

ee el oh

Its very good news and be patient. I sat in the same position
as you are in now for six months before I was offered a job with
Scotrail. Good things come to those who wait.

Karmakanik

In February last year, I applied for a trainee drivers position with FCC.
In May last year, I passed the final, managers interview and was told that I had been successful but no positions currently. "Rest assured, we will contact you as soon as a position becomes available".
Been checking my emails daily and phoning every few months since but to no avail, 15 months and counting.......

Andrew32

Hi mate,

Firstly well done!

I passed my conductor assessment on 6th June for one of three conductor posts at Skipton and received an email confirming this on 13th with a message saying that they were currently assessing conductor requirements at Skipton and will be in touch soon, after me sending them an email three weeks ago they said they couldn't provide me with an update.

On my Northern account it says exactly the same as yours, I have been on hold for nearly nine weeks now so your lucky that they are getting in touch so soon, I envy you, lol.

Which depot have you applied for, I'm unaware of when the next course is for Skipton posts and am beginning to wonder if I will ever get offered a job.

Andy

RobBWFC78

Happened to me. Passed mine last Sept and they contacted me a week before a course started in Feb, so I had to wait five months.

Was worth it though. Well done in making it this far.

Andrew32

So_Nervous, which depot have you applied for and did they give you a course start date?

Andrew32

I'm sure you'll get on, lots of people are telling me on here I will and most of the conductors I talk to say the same as I use the train every weekday so chat to them for info

It will be worth the wait I'm sure

so_nervous

I genuinely hope so. I was so hoping I'd get it first time. I'm still proud I passed the application, interview and assessment though. It's just a shame as now I am on hold I cannot apply for other positions with them, and there have been some I am interested in!

Andrew32

Yeah that parts a bummer.

Anyway all the best and I'll keep watching this thread to see how you go on.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
There are a few courses running at the moment, but be patient we have a relatively high turnover at Picc so you shouldnt have to wait too long.

gunning7

Hi mate i know the feeling passed everything for london midland 9 months ago still on hold so slow

ste

can anyone send me any stuff to help me out i got my conductor test in a weeks time

so_nervous

So I got a call today! Have been offered a position starting 30th September. Was so happy. Only slight downside was she said it was at Victoria not Piccadilly, I specifically chose Piccadilly and would have much preferred it, but couldn't say no! So fingers crossed I pass the medical and I'm in!

RobBWFC78

Well done!

And don't worry about Vic, it's the premier depot!! I'd much rather be here than at Picc as everyone here is a Northern employee, and it seems a bit more "close-knit", plus everyone here is really nice and helpful to new starters.

I'm sure I'll see you in the near future, enjoy your time at Bolton.

so_nervous

Getting quite worried now. Still haven't received any correspondence 8 days after I got the call, I emailed the lady I spoke to and she replied saying ''the colleague who usually deals with this is away will get back to you" but she hasn't - I'm at the point I have to hand my notice in within 3 days yet still haven't got a job offer to look at..is this weird?

Andrew32

I have been on hold for three months and just been told I'm now been put in the talent pool as the job is no longer available until next year.

Beveridges

Established Member
Well done!

And don't worry about Vic, it's the premier depot!! I'd much rather be here than at Picc as everyone here is a Northern employee, and it seems a bit more "close-knit", plus everyone here is really nice and helpful to new starters.

I'm sure I'll see you in the near future, enjoy your time at Bolton.

One downside of Picc is any new Guards start in link 5 which has all the crap start times and finishing times. It takes years to get out of this bottom link.

I know this from a Guard who works there.

Is Vic any better in this respect ?

Mattmatt

Neither here, nor there, but somewhere in-between!
One downside of Picc is any new Guards start in link 5 which has all the crap start times and finishing times. It takes years to get out of this bottom link.

I know this from a Guard who works there.

Is Vic any better in this respect ?

You are right; I'm at Pic & in Link 5 at the mo; which has around 36 lines! it will take a few years to move up; it does feel like deadmans shoes! earliest start is 0411 & latest finish is 0213. The job is good and your colleagues are good too!

However; id be rather be a Vic; more routes, express work

Someone said that Pic has a high turn over of staff; it depends on how you read that; some have left the company for other guarding jobs with other TOCs, some have gone driving, others have swapped depots and others have moved into management etc But im told that we don't have the full compliment of staff, so Northern have been recruiting to fill the spaces, as with the franchise coming up; they have to have a near full staff team or they get fined....

Andrew32

What's the deal regarding the new northern franchise?

I gather they have terms to stick to in order to get it.

so_nervous

Hooray my welcome pack finally arrived! Three months almost since I applied. Notice handed in at work. I can't believe it's actually happening to me! So happy :)

Railgal

Vic currently have 7 links with 18 guards in each. It still works along the lines of link progression, with a guard moving up into the next link when a vacancy becomes available. Essentailly, the larger the depot, the more links and variety of work there will be.

Just out of interest, does anybody have any idea how many guards links exist at other nearby depots, such as Wigan, Liverpool Buxton and Blackpool?

Mattmatt

Neither here, nor there, but somewhere in-between!
Pic has 5 links, plus a surplus link
Wigan has 1 link,
Liverpool has 6 links, plus a surplus link
Buxton has 1 link

surplus links are used when trainees come into the depot & start route learning etc; once all are trained up, there will be a point where all will be allocated a space in the lowest vacant link (By agreement of the Unions & Depot Managers) and then slotted in. It will also depend on age too, the older you are the higher up the link you'll get (this doesn't actually mean you'll move up the link quicker, it means that you'll be the first to move from your intake to a vacant space in the next link )

I've been told that it will be at least 4 years in Link 5 before a move is considered...

Also i don't know how many lines there are in the other links,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.