• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Permitted routes on TOC-restricted tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

evil_hippo

I'd like to check on something that's a little ambiguous in the wording of the routeing guide.

Are tickets which state one or more TOCs in the 'route' section, but no other route restriction, valid via any permitted route provided those TOCs are used?

For example, suppose one wished to travel to London to Coventry and later return from Nuneaton to London.

A ticket from London to Coventry via Any Permitted Route is valid for travel via Nuneaton, using map TV. It is therefore valid to return from Nuneaton.

By association, it would seem that a ticket from London to Coventry via WMTrains Only should also be valid via Nuneaton, as it is a permitted route and WMTrains operate services over the entire route.

Can anyone confirm or deny this interpretation?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furlong

Established Member
Are tickets which state one or more TOCs in the 'route' section, but no other route restriction, valid via any permitted route provided those TOCs are used?

Yes. The TOC restriction applies on top of the "any permitted" routeing stipulated by the guide. (There have been some errors in the past where fares were created that had no validity because there were no routes in the guide for that journey that used only the named TOCs.)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
They’ve painted themselves into a corner somewhat using one space on a ticket for two separate issues.
Should have had a routeing area, and an operator area.
Bit late to change now I expect.

gray1404

Established Member
Are tickets which state one or more TOCs in the 'route' section, but no other route restriction, valid via any permitted route provided those TOCs are used? I would say yes, totally.

Status
Not open for further replies.