• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Petrol and diesel prices - how much have you been paying?

RichJF

Are people seeing more queues at petrol stations? It's not like it was when we had the 'pingdemic' driven issues last year, but I have noticed longer queues than usual. I guess people are filling up more frequently because they know today's prices, whilst very high, are lower than tomorrow's prices.

I noticed when I was filling up my little car at £1.59 that a few drivers of 4x4s & diesel cars were slowing down to look then carrying on. All the cars filling up were little hatchbacks like mine.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

david1212

Established Member
I filled up at Tesco earlier, normally I would have waited another week or more. E10 unleaded 157.9p/litre and I put in £40 so £20 a week for my daily commute and a couple of local trips.

Diesel was 163.9p/litre and E5 Momentum unleaded 164.9p/litre.

Both Shell & BP 163.9p/litre E10 unleaded and 169.9p/litre diesel.

Unless very short term and fuel prices fall again this will soon filter down in general inflation due the transport component be that goods or personnel.
Following on I wonder how it will affect leisure this summer? After two years of disruption from Covid the last thing businesses need instead of a return to pre-2020 visitor numbers is another year of lower numbers this time because people have less disposable funds.

The Ham

Established Member
I filled up at Tesco earlier, normally I would have waited another week or more. E10 unleaded 157.9p/litre and I put in £40 so £20 a week for my daily commute and a couple of local trips.

Unless very short term and fuel prices fall again this will soon filter down in general inflation due the transport component be that goods or personnel.
Following on I wonder how it will affect leisure this summer? After two years of disruption from Covid the last thing businesses need instead of a return to pre-2020 visitor numbers is another year of lower numbers this time because people have less disposable funds.

That's possibly something for its own thread, however with less disposables income it may well be that shorter local breaks (maybe even day trips) are the order of the day.

As why pay for accommodation & car hire when you have your own? Why travel a long way (at each end) just to get to/from the airport? Why eat out when a takeaway would be nearly as good but cheaper?

Yes there's lots who will desire to go abroad. However it may well be that if finances are tight that they look at what they can do closer to home (although probably a bit further way than recent years).

HST274

My local Shell is now 161.9. Ahh the halcyon days of 151.9 seem so long ago now, at least 6 days anyway.

I can't believe I'm looking at these and thinking they're cheap! My local has shot up to over £1.70 and I've seen prices close to £1.90

Eyersey468

Established Member
I can't believe I'm looking at these and thinking they're cheap! My local has shot up to over £1.70 and I've seen prices close to £1.90
A garage near me is charging 190.9p for diesel as of this morning.

The Ham

Established Member
That's possibly something for its own thread, however with less disposables income it may well be that shorter local breaks (maybe even day trips) are the order of the day.

As why pay for accommodation & car hire when you have your own? Why travel a long way (at each end) just to get to/from the airport? Why eat out when a takeaway would be nearly as good but cheaper?

Yes there's lots who will desire to go abroad. However it may well be that if finances are tight that they look at what they can do closer to home (although probably a bit further way than recent years).

I've created it's own thread is anyone wishes to discuss this:

DelayRepay

Established Member
I paid 1.63 for Diesel yesterday at Tesco. The Texaco garage I passed on the way was charging £1.79.

I didn't actually need fuel - I had half a tank which will last a few weeks - but I filled up anyway as I thought 1.63 was a good price :o. Tesco's garage had queues, the Texaco forecourt was empty, not surprisingly. But according to Facebook, the Tesco garage ran out of fuel and had to close in the afternoon.

david1212

Established Member
A BP today ( not the one I reported on Saturday ) with a Morrisons nearby, but too far away to read the sign, was 163.9p/litre E10 unleaded and 179.9p/litre diesel.

SteveHFC

Tesco in Dunstable this morning was 165.9p E10 unleaded and 180.9p diesel. A nearly shell was 169.9 and 181.9 respectively.

Bertone

Texaco near Hemel Hempstead station 164.9 for standard unleaded

First time ever that I’ve spent more than £60 for full tank!

beeza1

164.9 for E10 this morning in rural West Yorkshire, I also needed some E5 for my classic motorcycles, 178.9.
E5 was 110.9 in December 2020
The government won't do anything about it as they are raking it in, got to get the furlough money back some way.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Neighbouring supermarkets in Penzance today:-
Tesco 161.9/173.9
Sainsbury 165.9/179.9 (14p differential between petrol and diesel largest I can ever recall at a supermarket site)

dgl

Established Member
161.9 at the Shell on Portland, cheapest in the area as I understand, even cheaper than Morrisons and Sainsburys in Weymoith.

DelW

Established Member
My local Jet station is usually the cheapest in the area, but for the last week or so it has been 4p/litre more expensive than the nearby Texaco station (167.9 vs 163.9). I noticed a similar difference on the south coast last week. Maybe Jet has been less successful than others in hedging its forward purchases?

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Normally petrol here is 20p/litre more expensive than in the UK, but we're in the bizarre situation at the minute where we have the cheapest petrol in the British Isles. When prices start to fall again it'll be the reverse, I know. But the two fuel companies here aren't taking the mickey, they're selling based on what they paid for it wholesale. All credit to them.

I've just paid 150.9p/litre for E5 fuel (we can't have E10 here). Needless to say I brimmed the car...

david1212

Established Member
161.9 at the Shell on Portland, cheapest in the area as I understand, even cheaper than Morrisons and Sainsburys in Weymouth.

Unusual for a Shell to undercut the supermarkets. I have booked to stay in Weymouth in July so will remember.
Local to me back several years ago with a Shell card then cash back voucher usually not much above Tesco etc. While not in the public domain because the additives may have been better I did use regularly. Otherwise mostly Tesco while avoiding ASDA. Since back to a petrol car only the occasional fill up has not been a supermarket.

ASDA tonight after the duty reduction 158.7p/litre E10 unleaded and 170.7p/litre diesel.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Neighbouring supermarkets in Penzance today:-
Tesco 161.9/173.9
Sainsbury 165.9/179.9 (14p differential between petrol and diesel largest I can ever recall at a supermarket site)

Same at the Esso just round the corner from me.
I put £60 diesel in and it only just went to over half a tank!

birchesgreen

Established Member
I saw my local was 161.9p on monday so was looking forward to that being reduced by 5p... but saw earlier it was already up to 167.9!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I saw my local was 161.9p on monday so was looking forward to that being reduced by 5p... but saw earlier it was already up to 167.9!
Given the reduction is supposed to be 6.5p inc the VAT, they'll miraculously reduce it back in a couple of days!

ABB125

Established Member
Esso Selly Oak has gone down 3p for petrol and 2p for diesel. Remind me how much the cut in fuel duty was... :D

Attachments

• IMG_20220324_185422212.jpg
    IMG_20220324_185422212.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14

skyhigh

Established Member
BP here in North Yorks - 165.9 for petrol and 178.9 for diesel. Exactly the same price it was last Sunday, despite the cut in fuel duty...

GB

Established Member
The government could reduce the duty to 0%, doesn’t mean retailers are legally obliged to pass those savings on.

3rd rail land

The government could reduce the duty to 0%, doesn’t mean retailers are legally obliged to pass those savings on.
Exactly. Retailers will always be quick to increases prices when costs increases but not to reduce prices when costs reduce. The only way to change that is to make it a legal requirement to reduce prices when things like duty are lowered.

jon0844

Veteran Member

Surely they're legally restricted on charging duty that isn't due, but could of course just remove the duty and up the price to compensate (thus making even more profit)?

Starmill

Veteran Member
I see that Pont Abraham services at the western end of the M4 is in the local REACH press again today:
"When [Wales Online] visited again on Sunday, Pont Abraham was charging 199.9p for diesel and 191.9 for unleaded."
Of course many customers at service stations will actually be businesses with fuel cards rather than individuals, and as such they won't be paying the retail rate anyway.

Surely they're legally restricted on charging duty that isn't due, but could of course just remove the duty and up the price to compensate (thus making even more profit)?
Indeed. As long as they're compliant with competition law they can set the retail price at whatever they like. Their accounts must then organise the payment of the duty rate per litre sold as set by the government and the % rate of VAT based on the value of their sales. The fuel retailers can charge slightly less than the tax due if they want to too, paying some of the taxes themselves. Of course, this is extremely unlikely.

I think that over the next few years people will just need to adjust to the retail prices of motor fuel averaging around £2 / litre. If that means people are more careful with their usage it won't be necccesarily all such a bad thing.

Last edited: