• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plans announced to open a new train maintenance facility at Shipley

trawler

Interesting if the electrics are going to be based here. Neville Hill has recently lost 155 and 170s to Botanic Gardens Depot in Hull that looks after all engineering. LNER Hull and Lincoln sets now go to Doncaster, no more XC or EMR. I presume Holbeck will still be used.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
Maintenance and stabling of the EMU fleet. There will be depot drivers amongst the 100 permanent jobs there but no mainline crews planned to be based there as it stands.
That would be sensible. It will be taxis from Leeds... or Skipton no doubt.
It seems odd not have any mainline crews based there doesn’t it? Won’r it increase costs?

Harvey B

Will the 333s and 331s still be based at Neville Hill once the new Depot is built at Shipley?

Neptune

Established Member
Will the 333s and 331s still be based at Neville Hill once the new Depot is built at Shipley?
No they will be based at Shipley TCC with Siemens/CAF staff offered the chance to transfer workplace.

The shed (located the Bradford side of Valley Road) will be able to handle exams/maintenance with the sidings/wash planned to be on the Shipley station side of Valley Road. The only thing that it won’t have due to lack of room is a wheel lathe so they’ll have to go to NL for that.

Harvey B

No they will be based at Shipley TCC with Siemens/CAF staff offered the chance to transfer workplace.

The shed (located the Bradford side of Valley Road) will be able to handle exams/maintenance with the sidings/wash planned to be on the Shipley station side of Valley Road. The only thing that it won’t have due to lack of room is a wheel lathe so they’ll have to go to NL for that.
So no stabling at NL overnight either?

Neptune

Established Member
So no stabling at NL overnight either?
Stabling at Leeds and Skipton will continue but the chances are that the sets that stable at Bradford FS and possibly even Ilkley will most likely stable instead at Shipley TCC. It saves on security staff for a start and staff taxis are required to those locations regardless so it would make sense. Of course a set will stable at Doncaster overnight too.

With regards to NL then they may well still stable there if required. Certainly if Leeds station is needed to be wheels free for overnight works.

3RDGEN

There's some detail regarding the depot plans on the TRU website;

"The Transpennine Route Upgrade is investing around £100million in a new rail depot in Shipley. Initially, the rail depot will be used to house and maintain Northern’s fleet of electric trains on the Airedale and Wharfedale Lines while access in and out of their Neville Hill depot in Leeds is restricted during a future phase of TRU.

Northern will then keep Shipley depot open following the completion of the upgrade, with as many as 100 permanent employees. During the depot’s construction, the Transpennine Route Upgrade will continue to commit to its pledge to create local jobs and support local communities, with 65% of team living within 25 miles and 80% living within 40 miles; and spending a minimum of 25% with local businesses to drive further growth in the North.

Also a bit of history about the site.

Meerkat

Established Member
£100m!
Pretty tight access onto the junction, must have been interesting for the scrap lorries that were going in and out...

Veteran Member
£100m!
Pretty tight access onto the junction, must have been interesting for the scrap lorries that were going in and out...
Could you clarify which bit is tight? AFAIK (road) wagons have always accessed the site from Station Rd (parallel to P5).

Neptune

Established Member
Could you clarify which bit is tight? AFAIK (road) wagons have always accessed the site from Station Rd (parallel to P5).
No they use the slope up to Otley Road which is sensor traffic lighted. Never seen a truck have a problem with it as they aren’t huge artics.

Geeves

Established Member
Interesting if the electrics are going to be based here. Neville Hill has recently lost 155 and 170s to Botanic Gardens Depot in Hull that looks after all engineering. LNER Hull and Lincoln sets now go to Doncaster, no more XC or EMR. I presume Holbeck will still be used.

Of course while some stock is now elsewhere if you want to have longer trains you're going to need more space for them. I think it's fair to say the 70s and 80s were pretty catastrophic for stabling space. I'm sure they will find something else to fill up the excess capacity at Neville Hill. A nice new fleet of electrics for the locals on the Trans Pennine and Leeds -York route maybe :)

trawler

Of course while some stock is now elsewhere if you want to have longer trains you're going to need more space for them. I think it's fair to say the 70s and 80s were pretty catastrophic for stabling space. I'm sure they will find something else to fill up the excess capacity at Neville Hill. A nice new fleet of electrics for the Trans Pennine route maybe :)
NL does seem to be losing a lot of traction. EMUs Shipley, 155 and 170s to Hull, LNER with Doncaster (Albeit they will have the micro fleet) so I wonder whether there is a future for Holbeck?

Neptune

Established Member
NL does seem to be losing a lot of traction. EMUs Shipley, 155 and 170s to Hull, LNER with Doncaster (Albeit they will have the micro fleet) so I wonder whether there is a future for Holbeck?
The 155’s are still based at NL for now with transfer to BG expected to be in May ‘25. They’ll work on the same rotation with the only difference being that the maintenance day will be at BG instead of NL.

The 15x replacement fleet will be longer so will need more space than the current fleet hence the expansion of maintenance facilities. Holbeck still has a future.

Harvey B

The 155’s are still based at NL for now with transfer to BG expected to be in May ‘25. They’ll work on the same rotation with the only difference being that the maintenance day will be at BG instead of NL.
What routes do the 155s work? The only one that i know of is York to Bridlington

Iskra

Established Member
This new depot should do something to relieve congestion at Leeds station by reducing the number of ECS moves on the through platforms and also between Leeds station and Neville Hill, so it’s quite important strategically.

snowball

Established Member
Shipley depot not due to open until 2027 according to the feature on TRU in the May Modern Railways.

Harvey B

Shipley depot not due to open until 2027 according to the feature on TRU in the May Modern Railways.
Assuming the TRU is running to schedule. There will be a lot of work carried out between Leeds and York from 2026 onwards. Won't these works essentially restrict movements between Leeds and NL? I'm Presuming it won't be a big deal for the DMU fleet based there as they can go to Holbeck if needs be, But the EMU's have nowhere to go if the new Shipley depot isn't up and running

snowball

Established Member
According to the article the track realignment at Neville Hill will not be until 2028.

I hope to post a summary of the main points in the article shortly in the TRU thread.