• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Podcast: Signals to Danger - Railway disasters in the UK

JohnMcL7

The Chalfont/Latimer one was of particular interest as I'd followed it developing on the forum here and it's quite fascinating because unlike older incidents, the safety systems and technology worked perfectly but still there was almost a crash. I was watching an air crash investigation where the pilots made what appeared to be a stupid mistake therefore it could simply be put down to pilot error but of course there was a lot more to it and it turned out that although the pilots were flying within their legal flight times they were too tired for the flight and had made stupid mistakes.

With regards to the discussion on near misses vs accidents I agree with your points about near misses being just as valid, the one that comes to mind which I hope will be covered on the podcast at some point is the near miss with the CS 92 which couldn't brake sufficiently coming into Waverley station and ran through the station. Reading through the RAIB report gave a lot of insight into how the 92's and Mk5's function and it gave quite a shocking view of what could have happened if the 92 hadn't managed to run through the station. I read many of the RAIB reports but as a non-railway person I don't always understand all the railway specific detail so I appreciate the podcast to explain them

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thanks all for the feedback!

I've just uploaded my first attempt at a bonus episode. If you want feel free to let me know what you think. It's a swift little 10 minute jaunt into AWS.

Don't worry if you want your full episode fix, there's something meatier coming next week!

Thanks all,

Dan
Your standard of presentation and content is up there with : Mentour Pilot, Fast Jet Performance .com, and even Air Crash Investigation.

Have you ever viewed the seconds from disaster documentary on you tube; Paris train crash 1988 at Gare de Lyon. Similarities with the relatively recent Edinburgh incident.

tpfx89

Have you ever viewed the seconds from disaster documentary on you tube; Paris train crash 1988 at Gare de Lyon. Similarities with the relatively recent Edinburgh incident.
I have, and I'm a little disappointed that there haven't been more rail disaster covered in that format!

Eyersey468

Established Member
I don't know if I'd do Norton, for the sole reason that another podcaster did an amazing job on it last year. And although he had to delete his podcast, I did manage to find a version of it still live here Steel Wheels- I really would go and look at it, well, listen.

But, in other news...
Hi Dan, would you be able to cover the 1890 and 1978 Norton Fitzwarren crashes at some point given that Steel Wheels wasn't allowed to continue?

tpfx89

Hey, don't see why they can't make the list. Finally moved house this weekend too so might re-emerge soon

Eyersey468

Established Member
Glad to hear you got moved OK. I'm looking forward to hearing the next episode

Eyersey468

Established Member
Two others I would be interested hearing your take on are Abermule (1921) and the one near Radstock (1876)

Eyersey468

Established Member

Just been watching this programme about the 1991 Severn Tunnel crash when a Sprinter crashed into the back of a HST.

malc-c

Dan, hope you are OK? - It's been a couple of months since the last episode (feb 27). I'm guessing life is just getting too busy which is why the pod casts have seemed to have dried up. If STD has run its course then its a shame, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to thank you for the time you have put in to provide us with some quality entertainment, and educational material.

bearhugger

Dan, hope you are OK? - It's been a couple of months since the last episode (feb 27). I'm guessing life is just getting too busy which is why the pod casts have seemed to have dried up. If STD has run its course then its a shame, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to thank you for the time you have put in to provide us with some quality entertainment, and educational material.
Dan has mentioned in post #309 that he has just moved house. He's also got married & changed his job role within the last year too so I'm impressed he's managed to produce as many podcasts as he has. I also tweeted Dan last week to check on how things are & found out that way he had recently moved and it has taken a little while to get settled into the new place. Hopefully soon season 3 will start - I think there's still a reasonable amount of material for the podcast so there should be a few more in the pipeline.

malc-c

Dan has mentioned in post #309 that he has just moved house. He's also got married & changed his job role within the last year too so I'm impressed he's managed to produce as many podcasts as he has. I also tweeted Dan last week to check on how things are & found out that way he had recently moved and it has taken a little while to get settled into the new place. Hopefully soon season 3 will start - I think there's still a reasonable amount of material for the podcast so there should be a few more in the pipeline.

Seems Dan and the podcasts are still in radio silence. His social media pages, and the S to D website hasn't been updated in months :'( - It could be down to the things you mentioned, and Dan simply doesn't have the time to do the podcasts any more, which is a shame as I found them really entertaining and interesting, especially the way Dan delivered them. But for me, just the way I'm wired, I hate being left dangling... it would be nice to know if it's run its course or if we can expect to see more episodes and when, especially as you say there is so much material available.

Sheridan

I’m sure our host will be along to update us in good time but it seems new material is on its way, which can only be a good thing. I feared corporate politics may have ended this great podcast’s run but thankfully I was wrong. (And if the gap was simply down to new arrivals in the host’s private life, well that’s obviously the most important thing and I’m amazed he can find time to make a podcast at all!)

tpfx89

Hello all, Apologies for the GSMR silence over the last few months, I have recently posted a bit of an update on Twitter etc so I'll copy this in here:

1665413824768.png

Building on this, I am currently writing content again, and new episodes are going to start dropping relatively soon.

As proof of this, I'll also drop in a link to a tweet I put up last night, with the new seasons opening theme, felt like time for a change!

Thanks for your patience over the last few months, and I hope you enjoy the new content when it arrives.

malc-c

Glad to have you back Dan. Reading between the lines I think I know where you are coming from. Look after yourself and go at your pace. Love the new intro

tpfx89

New episode finally up!
First part of a two part episode covering Carmont now a available.

malc-c

New episode finally up!
First part of a two part episode covering Carmont now a available.
One of the most polished productions yet. Love the music, and for me there was no need to look up the images of the crash to understand how the power cars and coaches ended up, your detailed description for each of them formed a clear image in ones mind.

Good to have you back Dan, but I have one small niggle.... I don't now if I'm in the minority here, but I could quite easily have sat there listening to another hour of the podcast... for me it would have kept the momentum running. You had me there at the scene... I could visualise that poor woman's struggle to walk a mile with a bad ankle, the efforts made by the contractors that were on site to put the fires out, and the preparations for the recovery .... Now I'm left hanging, wanting for more (having not read the RAIB report)... Can't wait for the second part.

Pleased to hear you are in a good place and back in the saddle podcasting

Malcolm

tpfx89

One of the most polished productions yet. Love the music, and for me there was no need to look up the images of the crash to understand how the power cars and coaches ended up, your detailed description for each of them formed a clear image in ones mind.

Good to have you back Dan, but I have one small niggle.... I don't now if I'm in the minority here, but I could quite easily have sat there listening to another hour of the podcast... for me it would have kept the momentum running. You had me there at the scene... I could visualise that poor woman's struggle to walk a mile with a bad ankle, the efforts made by the contractors that were on site to put the fires out, and the preparations for the recovery .... Now I'm left hanging, wanting for more (having not read the RAIB report)... Can't wait for the second part.

Pleased to hear you are in a good place and back in the saddle podcasting

Malcolm

Cheers as ever malc, didn't want to make you wait too long!

ffesti

Glad to hear you’re back Dan. First part was excellent as always, and I certainly wasn’t expecting part two so soon!

tpfx89

Glad to hear you’re back Dan. First part was excellent as always, and I certainly wasn’t expecting part two so soon!
I wasn't either, but I got into a nice rhythm on the writing and it just ended up being ready, though I might drop it earlier and keep the momentum up!

malc-c

Nooooo..... kept us hanging again..... !! Have to wait for part 3 !!!

Seriously, I like this new format of digging (no punn intended) into the finer details and an elaborate description of what took place..... But I would love it to have been in one full 3 hr episode. You have a really good storytelling voice Dan, I for one could easily listen to long episodes.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Excellent. Something to make a soggy Monday morning pass a bit more quickly at work!

Eyersey468

Established Member
Just been listening to the first part of the latest episode, thanks Dan it was really interesting.

tpfx89

Glad you're enjoying it guys!

Just a bit of background for you all, I tend to do a lot of research and I write a script for each episode, as I'm sure you can imagine this takes a while! Around the day job this probably takes at least a week, but the scripts tend to be around the 8K words mark so quite an effort haha.

I do love the idea of doing a 3 hour long episode, but to be quite frank, by the end of an hour and 10 minutes solid talking (not to mention where I cut out the fluff ups and the expletives which often follow!) my voice is kind of shot haha. I'd have to record it over a few sessions anyway, and then I get worried about slight changes in sound quality etc.

In any case, I'm glad you guys are enjoying the new content! Feels good to be recording again.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Glad you're enjoying it guys!

Just a bit of background for you all, I tend to do a lot of research and I write a script for each episode, as I'm sure you can imagine this takes a while! Around the day job this probably takes at least a week, but the scripts tend to be around the 8K words mark so quite an effort haha.

I do love the idea of doing a 3 hour long episode, but to be quite frank, by the end of an hour and 10 minutes solid talking (not to mention where I cut out the fluff ups and the expletives which often follow!) my voice is kind of shot haha. I'd have to record it over a few sessions anyway, and then I get worried about slight changes in sound quality etc.

In any case, I'm glad you guys are enjoying the new content! Feels good to be recording again.

On a much smaller scale, I’ve made 15 minute YouTube videos for my model railway a couple of times and that’s taken me hours to do. Plus I already know the subject as I built the thing!

Eyersey468

Established Member
On a much smaller scale, I’ve made 15 minute YouTube videos for my model railway a couple of times and that’s taken me hours to do. Plus I already know the subject as I built the thing!
I make YouTube videos myself for a couple of channels and even though most of them are under 5 minutes long they still take a while to do.