• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Polesworth

JJTRN2024

Good Evening all , Im just after some ticketing advice.

I’m planning a trip to polesworth in the coming days , ill be departing chester on the 04:46 via crewe and nuneaton arriving into polesworth at 06:44.

For some reason there is no advance single for this journey instead 3 single tickets are having to be bought.

Would it just be cheaper to buy off the conductor or shall I just get the 3 seperate tickets ?

Any advice would be much welcome

JJ

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Would a Chester -> Nuneaton Anytime Return at £61.60 suit? Presume you'll be heading back to Chester in due course after sampling the delights that Polesworth station has to offer?

Spaceship323

Don't try it this week though, the train from Chester is replaced by a bus that is scheduled to take an hour to get to Crewe, so you'll miss the connection to Nuneaton anyway

Last edited:

birchesgreen

Established Member
Let us know how you get on, i'm planning a Polesworth trip later this summer myself. Not worked out all the details yet.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Polesworth is one of those stations which I feel could benefit from the station being served by more trains. After-all, it is a sizeable village, not one of those zombie stations in the middle of nowhere serving a handful of houses (Shippea Hill)

Good luck with the visit, although seems to be a bit harder to visit the station to board the train (at least on a weekend as the first route 65 bus misses the train), from memory I stayed in the Travelodge next to Rugby station (not the best hotel due to noise) with staying in the centre of Birmingham with the first XC towards Nuneaton for when I alighted. Somewhere I might have to revisit at some-point for some better photos as my photos are a bit rubbish

KT550

Wilnecote station is a 90 minute walk away, if you need a way out and no buses available.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Would it just be cheaper to buy off the conductor
Do not buy from the conductor.

Legally you must purchase a valid ticket for your journey before you get on the train, where facilities to purchase exist. A ticket vending machine counts as an opportunity to purchase and if you are starting your journey at Chester there will be ticket machines at the station.

If the ticket machine does not sell the ticket you want, or it doesn't accept your preferred method of payment then you may board and purchase from the conductor.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
What "facilities" does Polesworth station currently boast, if any? Only ever whizzed through the location on a non-stop train (as indeed, most are), blink & you've missed it!

Tazi Hupefi

I'm pretty sure the station platform is now ordinarily locked up/ completely inaccessible, and similar to Peartree in Derbyshire, the only way in is through a locked gate with an intercom shortly before departure.

The Up platform is obviously completely inaccessible regardless.

JJTRN2024

Polesworth ✅ really not much going on here , ive had a bit of a walk around the village , spoken to some of the locals and the majority would like a regular service on ,

Another small least used station ticked off.

Attachments

• IMG_3221.jpeg
    IMG_3221.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3222.jpeg
    IMG_3222.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3223.jpeg
    IMG_3223.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 52

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
And i can now properly tick off Polesworth too!
Presume that, other than the train guard (is that them in pic?), you were the only person alighting/boarding or otherwise on the platform at Polesworth station earlier this morning?

P.S. Is access to/from the station via a security gate?

birchesgreen

Established Member
Yes i was the only user of the station that day!

The gate is bolted but unlocked.

After this i enjoyed a 70 minute bus ride back to Nuneaton (which actually was quite fun).