• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possibilities of Priv Rates Online/TVM

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesTT

I expect it has been discussed in the past. But what do people think about Priv rates being available online or via TVM's

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pumbaa

Established Member
You can book Caley Sleeper online with Priv I think.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It's certainly possible but I can't see how it could be done at TVMs without requiring a hardware/software upgrade to enforce verification, which would cancel out any potential revenue benefit.

Last edited:

JamesTT

Yes good point about TVM's maybe something for the future. Re Validation process perhaps a booking portal via the RDG website and or TOC internal sites could be an option

alistairlees

Established Member
You can book Caley Sleeper online with Priv I think.

You can indeed get Caledonian Sleeper priv rates online via sleeper.scot. The only TOC / TIS to offer it (other than at a station) so far as I know.

alistairlees

Established Member
The Sleeper website is not even a "proper" priv discount, if anyone has ever bought one and seen how it does the discount.

I'm sorry. But at least it's possible to get a discount of the right amount with very little hassle, and online. It was introduced as a quick solution, to help people out. Hopefully many priv card holders can travel on it and enjoy it.

causton

Established Member
I'm sorry. But at least it's possible to get a discount of the right amount with very little hassle, and online. It was introduced as a quick solution, to help people out. Hopefully many priv card holders can travel on it and enjoy it.

Indeed, as someone who does use it myself despite working in a ticket office as it is easier to do it!

It works on the Sleeper because of the 100% chance of being checked and them notice if they are being abused, but on daytime trains where people could get away without being checked I could see anyone buying them.

Ideally people would be able to use a RDG site logging in with their personal details such as priv card number and postcode, to buy tickets and collect from machines which would have their card number on. I don't know if it would be worth the effort of developing though unfortunately :(

alistairlees

Established Member
Indeed, as someone who does use it myself despite working in a ticket office as it is easier to do it!

It works on the Sleeper because of the 100% chance of being checked and them notice if they are being abused, but on daytime trains where people could get away without being checked I could see anyone buying them.

Ideally people would be able to use a RDG site logging in with their personal details such as priv card number and postcode, to buy tickets and collect from machines which would have their card number on. I don't know if it would be worth the effort of developing though unfortunately :(

Glad you are getting to use it on the Sleeper and enjoying it!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.