• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Post pass out mistakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurboMan

Easily said.

But in practice I can think of a few examples where you pass a signal, stop at a station and the next signal is out of sight round a corner. Add in a passenger alarm going off, a TCMS fault flashing up in your face, distractions at the station or the signaller contacting you via GSMR and it's all too easy to forget what your last signal was. Particularly if it's your last trip on a 10 hour job.

Those are the situations where a glance at the AWS before setting off from the station could potentially save you from a SPAD.
Exactly. It's well known that human short-term/working memory is pretty limited in its capacity. The last thing I would want a newly-qualified driver to do is to be told 'just pay attention!' when they've forgotten a signal aspect and then beat themselves up for behaving in a perfectly normal human way.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
Well, theoretically, no. But I’m not suggesting getting ready of any safety systems. Just that a train driver should be capable of remembering a colour they saw fewer than 60 seconds previously.

The video; from National Geographic. Highlights an interesting effect about Human perception.

(video linked is to the Double Dutch counting experiment)

'Human Factors' are very real and adversely affects Train Drivers.

For me, Understanding why we make mistakes goes a long way to help prevent them in the future. As a new Driver you have a high risk of incident. Try to put things in place to help defend you against those human factors that creep in slowly and often without you realising. There are many personal protective strategies to help.

dctraindriver

“If you can’t remember your last signal check the sunflower”. How are you forgetting what signal you’ve just passed? It’s a maximum of 60 seconds ago in the vast majority of cases. Just pay attention.
Have to disagree, 99% of the time drivers pay attention, but the 1% happens to us all.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Well, theoretically, no. But I’m not suggesting getting ready of any safety systems. Just that a train driver should be capable of remembering a colour they saw fewer than 60 seconds previously.

The fact is that humans make mistakes. Suggesting that a driver should remain perfectly alert, vigilant and engaged 100% of the time may well be true but it doesn't always happen. Claiming otherwise sounds like an unwillingness to acknowledge the risks involved which is a surefire way to have an incident.

75A

Established Member
Always drive using the basic driving principles and don’t differ from them;

Drive to your permissible speeds
Read and react to cautionary aspects (straight away)
Stop at the booked stations between those signals (by always reading your docket at each stop)
Drive defensively when weather conditions dictate so.
Utilise your DRA correctly.
Never rush.
Sound advice.

Easily said.

But in practice I can think of a few examples where you pass a signal, stop at a station and the next signal is out of sight round a corner. Add in a passenger alarm going off, a TCMS fault flashing up in your face, distractions at the station or the signaller contacting you via GSMR and it's all too easy to forget what your last signal was. Particularly if it's your last trip on a 10 hour job.

Those are the situations where a glance at the AWS before setting off from the station could potentially save you from a SPAD.
Power
Power
Sunflower

When taking power always check your sunflower. If it’s yellow it should prompt you to ask the question; why is it yellow?

When i mentor trainees I get them into the practice of PPS from day 1.

It could save yourself from an incident

mac

What would happen if a trainee drove off leaving his instructor behind?

Economist

With autumn upon us and the risk of low adhesion increasing, it makes good sense to know the areas of track with signal sections which are fairly short for the applicable linespeed. For example, I sign a section of line where maximum speed is 100mph for my type of train, if I suspected low adhesion I'd run at around 75-80mph.

Sonkicks

Not a current driver but always remember as a passenger you never sit there and think being late or anything is the drivers fault, so don’t fall into that pressure

Aviator88

Its happened at my TOC too. It's shockingly easy to do.

I'm curious what the mechanism of action is. Is it usually drivers who are quite far along with their handling and are used to moving off under their own judgment now and just forget to check the driver trainer is actually there with them?!

What's the resulting action? Obviously at the moment they realise they're an unlicensed, unsupervised driver they'll bring the train to a stand, but then what?

ComUtoR

Established Member
I'm curious what the mechanism of action is. Is it usually drivers who are quite far along with their handling and are used to moving off under their own judgment now and just forget to check the driver trainer is actually there with them?!

Each case will have its own unique circumstances.

What's the resulting action? Obviously at the moment they realise they're an unlicensed, unsupervised driver they'll bring the train to a stand, but then what?

In the case that I know of. The DI was sent to meet the train by Taxi

skyhigh

Established Member
In the case that I know of. The DI was sent to meet the train by Taxi
That surprises me. I've only heard of it happening once here and both the driver and trainee were taken off pending investigation. I wouldn't have thought the DI would be allowed to meet the train and crack on again.

Status
Not open for further replies.