• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preston Railway Station Branded As Outdated And Inadequate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bevan Price

Established Member
It doesn't do too badly these days I think - the relatively new (West?) Cornish Pasty Stand and Starbucks, added to the pub, Smiths, Upper Crust and Pumpkin offer a fairly decent return given the awkward passenger layout. Couple that with the amenities in the Fishergate Centre and there's not much else you could hope for.

Something needs to be done with the 1/2 and 5/6 islands though, both are awful to wait on and the narrow width is unsuited for the large flows they handle, especially when the VT services use 6 and everyone in Western civilisation descends onto 1 for Blackpool in high summer. If removing the Up & Down Goods Loop doesn't have an adverse impact on operations, then I would back calls to extend 5/6 over the existing formation and effectively combine platform 6 and 7. I would also probably back something that moves the booking hall and main concourse to the northeastern edge of the station, getting rid of the awkward three entrance system at present and allowing for ticket gating.

P.7 line is still used to "loop" some southbound freights.
I think the main problem with P.5/6 is not their width - more that the footbridge is too narrow to cope with busy trains. And also it would be preferable for southbound WCML services to use P.4 rather than P.6, since P5/6 are rather lacking in the facilities needed by long-distance travellers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

a_c_skinner

Established Member
To be honest men of my age and persuasion are busy looking for the Gents, beer and writing down train numbers when on any station to seriously inspect them but IIRC there is a good amount of building space on Pl 3/4 not used by the public and the buildings on the old parcels platforms could be used for staff facilities to free these up were this part of the station brought back into use. My recollection and a look at Quail maps suggests there is an old platform to the east of 5 & 6 now marked as U&D goods loop. That doesn't need a platform face so space to widen 5 & 6 and similar logic applies to widening 1 & 2 somewhat as well. The old parcels platform could yield two platform faces with a level of expenditure that is modest compared with some we've seen in similar stations. The footbridge/underpass problem needs solving but basically there is a lot more station there than we are currently using. Is HS2 going to mean works at Preston? One assumes so, both for journey starts/finishes and interchanges. I'll have to go and look again - perhaps when the 68s start on the early morning Carlisle via Barrow turn?

mwmbwls

Is the station listed? If not, given the Fishergate Centre entrance is the most convenient for most people, could the bridge and ramp be replaced with some kind of Reading-esque mezzanine?

Preston’s grade II listed railway station train shed was designed by Cooper and Tullis and completed in 1880. The station will require a substantial rebuild when HS2 trains start to call there. I do not see major development happening before then.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Preston’s grade II listed railway station train shed was designed by Cooper and Tullis and completed in 1880. The station will require a substantial rebuild when HS2 trains start to call there. I do not see major development happening before then.

Perhaps all the media "chatter" about how "bad" Preston station supposedly is, is designed to soften us up for the act of architectural vandalism about to be committed in the name of HS2 !

PR1Berske

Established Member
Perhaps all the media "chatter" about how "bad" Preston station supposedly is, is designed to soften us up for the act of architectural vandalism about to be committed in the name of HS2 !
Oh lord, I didn't think about it like that. I can imagine the architectural establishment know-it-alls getting their Macbooks out now at the very thought...!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Oh lord, I didn't think about it like that. I can imagine the architectural establishment know-it-alls getting their Macbooks out now at the very thought...!

I hope they do something to ensure the stations future !

furnessvale

Established Member
There is a largish modular building beyond the 3 existing southern end sidings and the whole site has been built on where the old Red Star offices were at the northern end of Christian road. No5 sure if the old platform 1 was a through platform as the remaining platform faces are not in alignment and offset by about 300mm.
It certainly used to be before rationalisation.

TrainfanBen

I've never found Preston Station itself too bad to use.

Minus the terrible underpass between platforms which is a health and safety hazard (Slippy uneven floor when wet, helppoints that don't work, lack of lighting). Old storage cupboards left open/unlocked etc.

The main flooring down from the booking office to platform 3 & 4 can be a bit slippy as can be the steps over the footbridges.
There's also inadequate seating on platform 1&2.

Last edited:

Elecman

Established Member
Platform 5/6 didn’t even have the footbridge connection post the necessary bridge raisin* works foe Electrification in the 70s until I had it re installed in the late 80s.

Elecman

Established Member
It certainly used to be before rationalisation.

Thanks I’m not sure how or why the platform faces have become misaligned now then.

IIRC there is a good amount of building space on Pl 3/4 not used by the public and the buildings on the old parcels platforms could be used for staff facilities to free these up were this part of the station brought back into use. My recollection and a look at Quail maps suggests there is an old platform to the east of 5 & 6 now marked as U&D goods loop. That doesn't need a platform face so space to widen 5 & 6 and similar logic applies to widening 1 & 2 somewhat as well. The old parcels platform could yield two platform faces with a level of expenditure that is modest compared with some we've seen in similar stations.

The buildings on 3/4 are used as offices and accommodation for various TOC staff and BT Police .

The buildings on the PCD are used by Network Rail as offices.

There is a platform face (7) to the East of Platform 6 but it is not normally usable for passenger traffic.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Preston was on the cards for remodelling regardless of HS2, layouts have been drawn up but nothing is funded.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
layouts have been drawn up

I'll put the crayons away again! Do you (or anyone) know even vaguely what they have in mind? I'm 60 but although in good health I don't expect to live to see HS2 to Preston and I'd be intrigued! (Mind you I'm not sure I'll see 769s in traffic either)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Preston was on the cards for remodelling regardless of HS2, layouts have been drawn up but nothing is funded.

It would be interesting to see what element of Preston is regarded as in need of "remodelling" does it justify destroying the tarnished ? I doubt it.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Off topic, but a real Freudian slip from your spell checker!

I'm sick of that damned spellchecker. If these phones were as "smart" as they like to tell us, it would know that I use the phrase trainshed far more than tarnished.

The Planner

Veteran Member
It would be interesting to see what element of Preston is regarded as in need of "remodelling" does it justify destroying the tarnished ? I doubt it.
The layout isn't really fit for purpose as traffic flows and requirements have changed, I don't see why re-signalling and changing the track layout would require destroying the train shed, it would add considerable cost to any work, if it ever happens.

uww11x

Nothing wrong with Preston, If anyone defends that new eyesore of an entrance they need to give their head a wobble.

Established Member
I change there quite often, and usually between Northern from Liverpool or Manchester and Virgin or TPE Scottish services. I have no cause to set foot outside the door, but make the following observation as an interchange passenger.

- I agree that the heavily used Platforms 1 and 2 are overused and overcrowded and if capacity could be created at this side of the station then it would be a big improvement.

- the subway isn't obvious and or appears far away to passengers arriving on short trains at 1 and 2 and far too many of them struggle onto the footbridge with heavy luggage.

- the ramp down to 3 and 4 is often slippery as another poster has said and I've seen a couple of close calls here when people have been running for trains.

- the buffet and bar in the old refreshment rooms is a pleasant place to wait with a coffee or a drink and works well, whatever they do they should preserve and enhance this space.

- the whole place feels a bit unloved and gloomy but being familiar with ultimate sprawling gloompit that is Perth station then everything's relative. That said, it does need a good dose of money spending on it but in a way that's sympathetic to the original architecture.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
My wife, who spends more time than I do waiting on platform 2, complains that it's cold and draughty - and even when the waiting room/buffet is open it's inconveniently far from said platform. That apart, the station is fine (apart from the cramped main entrance).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
My wife, who spends more time than I do waiting on platform 2, complains that it's cold and draughty - and even when the waiting room/buffet is open it's inconveniently far from said platform. That apart, the station is fine (apart from the cramped main entrance).

Isn't there still a small buffet on P1/2?

Mikey C

Established Member
Overall, I like Preston station. It has issues (highlighted in this thread) but it has charm and it shouldn't be too hard to improve it without destroying its character

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Overall, I like Preston station. It has issues (highlighted in this thread) but it has charm and it shouldn't be too hard to improve it without destroying its character

I think that is a really good summary. There are no really low cost options but there is plenty of scope to improve without destroying what is there. Does anyone know (and can say) what sort of things HS2 has in mind? Presumably two very long platforms with no conflicting moves (IIRC either 3 or 4 is already fairly long).

Bevan Price

Established Member
I'm sick of that damned spellchecker. If these phones were as "smart" as they like to tell us, it would know that I use the phrase trainshed far more than tarnished.

I find the best attitude towards spell chequers** is to turn them off. They are often useless when dealing with place names.

(** Yes - I know that should read "checkers", but a spell checker would not correct it, because "chequers" is spelt correctly.)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I find the best attitude towards spell chequers** is to turn them off. They are often useless when dealing with place names.

(** Yes - I know that should read "checkers", but a spell checker would not correct it, because "chequers" is spelt correctly.)

That's how its spelt on Prime Ministers' phones !

The Planner

Veteran Member
I think that is a really good summary. There are no really low cost options but there is plenty of scope to improve without destroying what is there. Does anyone know (and can say) what sort of things HS2 has in mind? Presumably two very long platforms with no conflicting moves (IIRC either 3 or 4 is already fairly long).
They just require 400m+ platforms, any overall scheme wouldn't be driven by them, rather the picture for the next 40 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.