• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Professor slapped with £155 railway fine for getting OFF the train one stop early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilipW

We now all know that if you have an Advance ticket from A to B and get on the train after A or get off before B, you are in breach of contract.

What about if you don't travel at all ? Logic says that is a far more serious breach. Instead of a 100 mile journey being truncated to 90 miles (say), you have truncated it down to 0. That is far more of a breach of contract than just skipping a few miles.

If you booked it on the Internet, they have your address. Will a court summons be in the post ? Of course not. But what farcical times we live in.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flamingo

Established Member
Any guards/barrier staff considering 'apprehending' someone in such circumstances take note and bear in mind that the company will drop the case and give you advice about showing common sense and discretion. That said, certainly the vast majority of guards and, I hope most, barrier staff, act sensibly. It's a minority that cause these sort of headlines, and give bad publicity to their company.

Depends, I've been pulled up for "aggravating a passenger" who was 4 hours late on their Advanced ticket (because the meeting overran) by selling them a new ticket, AND then bollocked for charging the same passenger an off-peak, not a full open.

The company and ATOC has got rules in place. We are paid to enforce them. Personally, I'd much prefer to drink tea in the cab, and open the doors at the appropriate intervals, but figure I'm paid to do the whole job and not cherry-pick the bits I like. Also, I'll get queried as to why my revenue figures are down, and my ticket machine has not been logged in.

The train companies want to have their cake and eat it:
- They tell staff to avoid confrontation at all costs, but check everybody's ticket. Every time a guard or RPI asks to see a ticket there is a potential for confrontation. Asking anybody for money is a potential for confrontation. But if we don't, not only do we get pulled up for our poor revenue performance, we get threads on sites like this complaining that "my ticket only got checked 3 times in 35 days when travelling one stop between two barriered stations in rush hour".

- They create terms and conditions, and tell staff to enforce them. But then tell staff to "use their discretion" and hand out apologies whenever any complaint comes in about the same CoC get enforced. Might I remind everybody about condition 59. of the CoC
59. Limitation of authority of a Train Company’s staff or agents
A Train Company’s staff or agents have no authority to waive or change these conditions
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system/galleries/download/misc/NRCOC.pdf

Now, when I'm told I must use my discretion, the CoC are pretty damn explicit that I can't. I do, but as soon as I do, I'm in uncharted territory, and don't have any defence for my actions if any manager (or other passenger) wishes to challenge them.

Also, as a general point some of the posters on here and elsewhere are very quick to say the TOC must use it's discretion when the passenger is in the wrong, but equally quick that the TOC has to stick to the terms of the CoC to the letter when they are subjected to any delay or disruption (or discover a loophole in the routing guide that allows them to go from Clethorpes to anywhere in the country for £1.50!).

And stuck in the middle is the guard, RPI or Gateline staff. We didn't make the rules, and are given precious little support when we either enforce them, or bend them. I'm not saying that all of us are perfect, or always get it right, but posts talking about "good" guards or "Jobsworths" are too simplistic. Two different people will describe the same person as one or the other depending on which side of the guards decision they are on. I know that from personal experience, I've had letters both of praise and complaint for how I've handled the same incident.

Last edited:

b0b

Established Member
Flamingo, I don't envy the job of a "good" RPI/Guard. The railway should not be putting you in the position of enforcing a ridiculous "stop short" situation by selling such a ticket in the first place.

Flamingo

Established Member
Personally, (and this is the view of every guard I have ever spoken to about it), I think that advanced tickets are more hassle than they are worth, and should never have been introduced. They are a ready-made source of conflict, and not only open to major abuse, but provide a ready-made trap for the unwary. I am not cynical enough to believe that it's a cunning plot by TOC's to maximise penalty fares, as we are constantly being told to be "discretionary" in our approach to them, and never delay the trains because of them.

On another level, (although this may be the subject for a new thread), I think they have cheapened rail travel to the point that a lot of people now expect fares to be set at a totally uneconomic level - on off-peak trains on my patch, it's at the stage where it is unusual to find a 1st class passenger that has paid more for their seat than a standard class passenger has for theirs. It's rare to find a 1st class passenger on an "ordinary" 1st class ticket, and when the vast majority of 1st class passengers are paying less than £30 to London on some trains, (cheapest super off-peak is over £30) it makes me wonder what the final decision will be by the bean-counters. I seriously doubt if it will be to convert a 1st class coach into Standard.

tony_mac

Established Member
Also, as a general point some of the posters on here and elsewhere are very quick to say the TOC must use it's discretion when the passenger is in the wrong, but equally quick that the TOC has to stick to the terms of the CoC to the letter when they are subjected to any delay or disruption
I don't think people are as quick to judge as you claim. However, it is the railway that writes the terms and conditions, so I believe that consumers should be able to use them to their advantage (and the law says so too).
If the railway doesn't like it, they can re-write them, the passenger does not have that power. Due to the unique way the railway is organised, they often don't even have the power to take their business to another company.

But, I really do think that the railway should be doing much more to avoid putting their staff into these positions.
If the terms were all fair, reasonable, and clearly pointed out, and they actually tried to prevent putting passengers (and therefore guards) into difficult situations it would be better for everyone on the ground.

scotsman

Established Member
I posted the following comment

I'm a Ticket Inspector and this makes perfect sense.

If he cared to check the conditions of his ticket, he'd see this wasn't allowed.

If a train company sells a cheap 'advance' ticket from point A to point B, then they have to include a free reservation for it.

The seat is now 'blocked' from Point A to Point B. However, if the passenger gets off at Point C, they leave a train with one less passenger and a 'blocked' seat - which a passenger can sit in. As recompense, the train company charges an excess fare from point A to point C, as the passenger has rendered his/her ticket invalid.

Simples."

It was voted down 22

Flamingo

Established Member
But, I really do think that the railway should be doing much more to avoid putting their staff into these positions.
If the terms were all fair, reasonable, and clearly pointed out, and they actually tried to prevent putting passengers (and therefore guards) into difficult situations it would be better for everyone on the ground.
I have to agree with you there, and I think that advanced tickets are neither fair or reasonable in this context. However, I can also recognise the question is that should the majority of passengers who do manage to stick to the conditions of their £23 1st class Bristol - Paddington be denied this because of the passengers who's meetings overrun and then make a fuss about being charged for not sticking to their side of the contract?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

If he cared to check the conditions of his ticket, he'd see this wasn't allowed.

If a train company sells a cheap 'advance' ticket from point A to point B, then they have to include a free reservation for it.

The seat is now 'blocked' from Point A to Point B. However, if the passenger gets off at Point C, they leave a train with one less passenger and a 'blocked' seat - which a passenger can sit in. As recompense, the train company charges an excess fare from point A to point C, as the passenger has rendered his/her ticket invalid.

Simples."

It was voted down 22

Don't get upset, it's not a democracy. After all, look at some of the drivel that was being posted! <D

scotsman

Established Member
Don't get upset, it's not a democracy. After all, look at some of the drivel that was being posted! <D
lol! I posted back "Nice to see my comment is being voted down on the basis that I'm a ticket inspector!"

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Reading the most rated comments is painful, comparing it to not clearing your plate in a cafe or leaving a cinema early. they are making assumptions that aren't even in the same sense as this. Maybe we should send every daily Mail reader copies of NRCoC, maybe then they will realise. Typical of a non-rail enthusiast/expert rying to think that they know best. Is Angus the Ticket Clipper from Fife anyone on here?
lol! I posted back "Nice to see my comment is being voted down on the basis that I'm a ticket inspector!"

I thumbed that up :D

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Maybe we should send every daily Mail reader copies of NRCoC, maybe then they will realise.

I suspect that it wouldn't make any difference because they disagree with the rule itself, even though it may be technically correct - which, to be fair, is a position that many on this forum, myself included, share.

Flamingo

Established Member
If the restriction was removed, the TOC would still be able to offer cheaper tickets to Y and residents at Y would still have the same opportunity to buy them. However, the service provider would have to accept that residents at X would have the same opportunity to buy and use those tickets.

I said that saying make the whole train off-peak was not an answer - from a financial point of view (which pays my wages), the easier option is just make the whole train Peak. Try harder.

I don't believe it would be right for the TOC to argue that it is loosing revenue as there are presumably only a limited number of these advance fares available anyway. It will have budgeted for a certain number of places on the train to be sold cheaply, what difference is it to them if they go to residents at X or Y.

There are a certain number of cheap tickets allocated to each station, as far as I know. However, if someone going to X has bought a ticket to Y as all the cheap tickets to X have been sold, that is a loss of revenue to the company, as they should have bought the next cheapest ticket to X if that is their destination. Therefore, they are also denying someone going to Y a cheap ticket.

It was put to me very simply when I started revenue training - "The cheaper the ticket, the more restrictions". If someone wants flexibility, they have to pay more for it. That is the way of the world, not just the railway, and if someone is using a restricted ticket as a flexible ticket, I see no problem with relieving them of however much money that flexibility should have cost them.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Simples."

It was voted down 22

And if the customer doesn't travel at all he leaves a seat blocked for the whole journey and the train company couldn't care less!

Madness.

nedchester

Established Member
Two points.

Regardless of what the CoC say it just is stupid to say that someone getting off one stop short should be excessed such a large amount. Only in the railway industry do you come across such nonsense. The inspector who gripped this chap is obviously a jobsworth who as a result of his actions has made East Coast a laughing stock and also brought much bad publicity.

The view that Advance tickets are there 'just to fill seats that would otherwise be unoccupied' is a red herring. TOCs rely on these tickets as a significant part of their income. In many ways TOCs will often receive the full price of the tickets when the revenue is distributed out whereas Anytime tickets may well go to a greater variety of operators. Advance tickets when first introduced in the 1980s were indeed used to fill empty seats but not any more.

I have certainly got off early on advance tickets and don't feel that the railway has been defrauded in any way because in reality they haven't.

It's about time these kind of racket was stopped.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I said that saying make the whole train off-peak was not an answer - from a financial point of view (which pays my wages), the easier option is just make the whole train Peak. Try harder..

Er no, I didn't say anything about making the whole train off-peak. I am talking about a number of designated advanced fares - not about increasing the number of advanced fares or indeed changing restrictions for walk-on off-peak fares. Please do not try and make out that I am saying someting that I am not.

There are a certain number of cheap tickets allocated to each station, as far as I know. However, if someone going to X has bought a ticket to Y as all the cheap tickets to X have been sold, that is a loss of revenue to the company, as they should have bought the next cheapest ticket to X if that is their destination. Therefore, they are also denying someone going to Y a cheap ticket.

Then just have a certain number of cheap tickets for each train. TOC gets it's number of guaranteed sales on that train and can fill up services at quieter times as before. Incedentally, when the cheap fares go on sale, it's a bit of a free for all who gets them anyway, so why should passengers at Y expect to have cheap fares held for them. Let them compete with the rest at X. They have the same opportunity.

It was put to me very simply when I started revenue training - "The cheaper the ticket, the more restrictions". If someone wants flexibility, they have to pay more for it. That is the way of the world, not just the railway, and if someone is using a restricted ticket as a flexible ticket, I see no problem with relieving them of however much money that flexibility should have cost them.

You'll note that I am not arguing against restrictions per se, merely that the stopping, starting short rule should be abolished. In this scenario, a passenger buying an advanced ticket and stopping short would still be restricted to travelling on that particular train, so for the purposes of demand management they would still have their flexibility curtailed.

I do sympathise with some of your difficulties in collecting fares. I believe abolishing stopping and starting short restrictions would make your job a lot easier.

scotsman

Established Member
Well, their not really comparable. I doubt you deal with advance tickets, off peak/peak, fare evading passengers, assaults, MG11's, Penalty Fares, UFN's etc.

Undoubtedly, but I never pretended that I did. I said "I'm a Ticket Inspector [true] and I understand this"

Now, you'd have a point if I said "I'm a ticket inspector, so I understand this":D

For the record, I have dealt with passengers who have clearly no intention of purchasing a ticket unless challenged on the fairly small number of duties I have worked.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Depends, I've been pulled up for "aggravating a passenger" who was 4 hours late on their Advanced ticket (because the meeting overran) by selling them a new ticket, AND then bollocked for charging the same passenger an off-peak, not a full open..
Sorry to hear that; I'd call your actions reasonable.
Reading the most rated comments is painful, comparing it to not clearing your plate in a cafe or leaving a cinema early. they are making assumptions that aren't even in the same sense as this. Maybe we should send every daily Mail reader copies of NRCoC, maybe then they will realise. Typical of a non-rail enthusiast/expert rying to think that they know best. Is Angus the Ticket Clipper from Fife anyone on here?
I've said it before, the general public will make such comparisons/analogies and will think it unreasonable. Waving a ridiculously complicated conditions of carriage that says it is normally absolutely fine but occasionally may not be fine, certainly isn't going to change that!!!

I would think it is a shame if rail enthusiasts disagree with the decision by East Coast not to persue the matter, and I think it is a shame if rail enthusiasts believe that the customer should be charged £155 and/or persued through the courts. Not everyone can travel from Wick to Penzance with unlimited break of journey at peak time for £2, and it's very easy for someone who pays no more than £2 per journey and who can stop short at any time to criticise someone who works in one place and lives in another getting a (say) £20/30 ticket who then gets off at the stop before (which is, let's not forget, normally perfectly acceptable - and appears to be perfectly acceptable in the minds of the majority of the general public, and is an option that is always open to you).

If rail enthusiasts are anti-customer, then there is a danger that if you turn too many of the customers away, there'll be less of a service for enthusiasts to enjoy. That benefits no-one. Enemies of rail customers are enemies of rail as a mode of transport.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I was more annoyed with the comments on the DM webpage, not the Prof in question yorkie. At the end of the day, rules are rules, and whether you like it or not you've gotta abide by them. My comments we're mean to be anti-rail, just criticizing some of the rubbish DM readers typed

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was more annoyed with the comments on the DM webpage, not the Prof in question yorkie. At the end of the day, rules are rules, and whether you like it or not you've gotta abide by them.
or what, pay £155?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Rules are rules, gotta live by them even if you dont agree with them :D
I'm sure you've broken some rule, somewhere. Certainly the rules of spelling, grammar and punctuation are broken on a regular basis ;)

There's also a response I could say about people who blindly follow all rules, to prove a point... however I'd better not say that as I genuinely do not wish to offend!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
or what, pay £155?

It is unfair, but why ask me, do I have a power to change it? I don't agree with quite a few rulkes/laws in life, doesn't mean i complain when I am punished for breaking them
I'm sure you've broken some rule, somewhere. Certainly the rules of spelling, grammar and punctuation are broken on a regular basis ;)

I'll give you spelling, but I like to think my grammar and punctuation are up to scratch :D
There's also a response I could say about people who blindly follow all rules, to prove a point... however I'd better not say that as I genuinely do not wish to offend!

I fit into that, more for fear of getting caught than agreement :D

scotsman

Established Member
Article:
Professor slapped with £155 railway fine for getting off his train one stop EARLY
Author of reported comment:
David, Derby
Date:
27/9/2010 22:43
Comment ID:
Comment:
I am fed up with the customer thinking they are always right !!!
- Rail Ticket Seller, UK, 27/9/2010 22:19

WITHOUT CUSTOMERS MUPPETS LIKE YOU WOULDNT HAVE A JOB.
OR IS THAT A BIT TOO ADVANCED FOR YOUR TINY STASI TRAINED BRAIN TO GRASP ?

Just reported the above gem of a comment.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
GENUINE POST ON THIS:

Who cares as long as National Express who own East Coast make mega profits!

Really really want them to pay out a massive dividend!!!!!!

Fingers crossed!

LOL

bnm

Established Member
Rules are rules, gotta live by them even if you dont agree with them :D

A balance has to be struck though. To paraphrase The Pub Landlord:

"Where would be without rules? France.
And where would we be if we had too many rules? Germany"

Status
Not open for further replies.