• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress on Avanti West Coast's 805/807s Hitachi AT300 sets

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Will they replace all Pendolino services to and from Liverpool, or will they co-exist with the 807's?
They are meant to operate the second, slower service with 390s operating the more limited stop working.

Albeit the present timetable has the 'new' Liverpool working as the current one minus intermediate calls but on 80x 110mph timings.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
what about the manchester branch? will the 80xs run on the manchester branches
I believe they'll remain 390s, as I said before, the Liverpools are the ones with the timetable adjustment.
They may occasionally end up there as the Voyagers sometimes do, but that's just speculation at this point.

AJDesiro

what about the manchester branch? will the 80xs run on the manchester branches
They’ll run on services that require diesel (Shrewsbury & Wales), along with the Birmingham-Euston semifast, one Liverpool service and Blackpool.

Snow1964

Established Member
Any update on when the 805s are meant to be running?

Nothing official recently,
the last published official news info was 10 months ago and said

carriages from a Class 805 bi-mode train are being coupled together to mark the start of the extensive testing programme ahead of the planned entry into service in 2023.

It is now 28 months since the £350m order was announced, and at the time they said in service by 2022. So clearly timeline is rather elastic.

Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Nothing official recently,
the last published official news info was 10 months ago and said

It is now 28 months since the £350m order was announced, and at the time they said in service by 2022. So clearly timeline is rather elastic.
Give em break there only a few months late still have plenty of time to out perform their sister company, FSWR, capabilities.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Link takes me to a picture of ice cream and some very bad jokes from Twitter HQ...
Must be an Australia thing, work fine for me. Four external photos, one a shot through a window to the seats. Oh no, I mentioned the seats... :arrow:

3973EXL

Established Member
Crewe 19/04
5Q05 2119 Oxley - Crewe
5Q06 2207 Crewe - Euston
DSC02151.JPGDSC02152.JPGDSC02153.JPGDSC02154.JPG

Jammy Dodger

Does look like they've gone for a very low density interior, which is most welcome. I'd love to see a seating plan but am not aware of one having "escaped" yet.
Based on a quick Google/Wikipedia search for 5-car IET's (First/Standard):

801/1: 302 (48/254)
803: 402 (0/402)
805: 301 (Distribution Unknown)
810: 301 (47/254)

Based on this, I'd assume a similar layout to an 801/1

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Based on a quick Google/Wikipedia search for 5-car IET's (First/Standard):

801/1: 302 (48/254)
803: 402 (0/402)
805: 301 (Distribution Unknown)
810: 301 (47/254)

Based on this, I'd assume a similar layout to an 801/1
805 - 299, 25 in first
807 - 451, 49 in first

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Still a very, very bland interior compared to both unrefurbished and refurbished 390s, but if there are some upset by the tilt, smaller windows and warmer lighting (I’m aware it’s slightly less warm on refurbs) then I suppose this will be a nicer train for them. Personally I’d rather the Voyagers than these Hitachi trains.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Still a very, very bland interior compared to both unrefurbished and refurbished 390s, but if there are some upset by the tilt, smaller windows and warmer lighting (I’m aware it’s slightly less warm on refurbs) then I suppose this will be a nicer train for them. Personally I’d rather the Voyagers than these Hitachi trains.

Wha? It's basically an identical interior to the refurbished 390, but lower density so more comfortable and bigger windows. What's not to like?

GWVillager

Wha? It's basically an identical interior to the refurbished 390, but lower density so more comfortable and bigger windows. What's not to like?
I agree, these are looking like they might be some of the best new trains in recent years. Not sure why they went with the FISA Lean in First Class though.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I agree, these are looking like they might be some of the best new trains in recent years. Not sure why they went with the FISA Lean in First Class though.
Going on existing 80x routes, they will probably ride as well as Voyagers at a similar speed, but not as well as the 390s.
So Euston-Birmingham/Liverpool might not be as stable a ride; no change for Voyager routes.
Then there's the new speed profile, more up and down than on 390/221.

superalbs

Established Member
What else could they do? Other than on Eurostar, there's not been any better UK rail seat introduced for years.

AJDesiro

My only objection to those seats personally is that they’re a bit too upright, these seats have recline levers thankfully unlike the GA FLIRTs (you can see them in some of the images of first class, they’re inside the base cushion), so hopefully they shouldn’t be too uncomfortable in terms of one’s back, the bases on the seats when they have worn in are fantastic, I would go as far to say that, bar the upright nature, they are some of the best new seats on trains.

GWVillager

My only objection to those seats personally is that they’re a bit too upright, these seats have recline levers thankfully unlike the GA FLIRTs (you can see them in some of the images of first class, they’re inside the base cushion), so hopefully they shouldn’t be too uncomfortable in terms of one’s back, the bases on the seats when they have worn in are fantastic, I would go as far to say that, bar the upright nature, they are some of the best new seats on trains.
That’s my problem with them too, but if they recline that shouldn’t be as much of an issue.

What else could they do? Other than on Eurostar, there's not been any better UK rail seat introduced for years.
I actually quite like the first class seats installed to the rest of the 80X family - they’ve become a lot more comfortable with age.

superalbs

Established Member
I actually quite like the first class seats installed to the rest of the 80X family - they’ve become a lot more comfortable with age.
Oh I've not had First Class on a 5 car 800 for a while, have the bases collapsed?

The EMR and AWC examples are actually the first Fisa Lean to recline anywhere, it must be a specific adjustment for the UK market. :)

GWVillager

Oh I've not had First Class on a 5 car 800 for a while, have the bases collapsed?

The EMR and AWC examples are actually the first Fisa Lean to recline anywhere, it must be a specific adjustment for the UK market. :)
Yes, a lot of them have collapsed and (in my opinion) are now far better, unlike standard!

Good to hear about the recline though, I’ll be eager to try them out.

Liverpool 507

A query of mine on the Class 807. Do all vehicles have the same bogie type, or do the unmotorised inner coaches have the light weight bogies, as seen on 9 coach LNER 800/801s and GWR 800/802s

Benters

Saw the tail end of a class 807 disappearing under the A518 Newport Road bridge in Stafford when I was returning from my running club training session this evening.
It was listed on RealTime Trains as 5Q10 running ECS from Oxley Car MD to Glasgow Central. It started off on diesel, switching to electric at Bushbury Junction for the rest of the journey. Pathed as ' 80x electric ' from Bushbury Jct onwards.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Saw the tail end of a class 807 disappearing under the A518 Newport Road bridge in Stafford when I was returning from my running club training session this evening.
It was listed on RealTime Trains as 5Q10 running ECS from Oxley Car MD to Glasgow Central. It started off on diesel, switching to electric at Bushbury Junction for the rest of the journey. Pathed as ' 80x electric ' from Bushbury Jct onwards.
Slight correction, that's an 805.