• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Proposed takeover of First Group (by US private equity company I Squared)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfollows

Established Member
The Times reports that First Group is "evaluating" a proposed takeover from a US private equity company.
First Group runs services for
  • Avanti West Coast
  • Great Western Railway
  • Hull Trains
  • Lumo
  • South Western Railway
  • TransPennine Express
  • London Trams
If this were to go ahead, it would presumably prevent a takeover of First Group by National Express, about which there had been speculation. In the past, National Express operated Gatwick Express, Midland Mainline, Silverlink, Central Trains and Scotrail, then InterCity East Coast until it defaulted in 2009. Ironically National Express was the target of a takeover bid from First Group in June 2009.
TTST_Black.png
Business_Briefing_M_Strydom_PM.jpg

Thursday May 26 2022

FirstGroup, the bus and rail operator, said that it was evaluating a proposed takeover from a US private equity company focused on global infrastructure businesses. I Squared is offering 118p-a-share plus a potential 45.6p a share, which is based on the outcome of the sale of FirstGroup’s US businesses First Transit and Greyhound.

FirstGroup shares rose 8 per cent, or 9½p, to 129p. This is below the 163.6p-a-share indicative offer, which values it at around £1.2 billion. Robert Lea, our industrial editor, reports that this suggested at least some pessimism that a deal could be done at the upper end of I Squared’s conditional offer. He expects the approach from US private equity for a company that employs 30,000 people in the UK will attract the interest of civil servants and ministers.

The company said it was the latest in a series of unsolicited and conditional approaches from the infrastructure fund, which had all been rejected. FirstGroup shareholders were advised to take no action. I Squared has offices in London, Hong Kong, Miami, Singapore and New Delhi and interests in energy, utilities, telecom and transport in the Americas, Europe and Asia.

Analysts at Jefferies said that FirstGroup was the latest transport company to face takeover interest and “reflected international confidence in the UK public transport landscape”. Earlier this year Stagecoach backed a £594.9 million takeover by DWS, the German European infrastructure fund, which trounced a rival bid by National Express. There has been speculation that a bid for FirstGroup could come from National Express.

More information at https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...us-private-equity-company-i-squared-mhxbh3c78

FirstGroup takeover bid from US private equity company I Squared​

Robert Lea
Industrial Editor
Thursday May 26 2022, 11.50am, The Times

FirstGroup, the largest train operator in Britain which is under threat of a nationwide rail workers strike, has received a takeover approach valuing the company at up to 163.6p a share, or £1.22 billion.

The offer from the US private equity company I Squared is being considered by FirstGroup’s board after it had previously rebuffed a “series of unsolicited, conditional proposals”.

The offer is way ahead of where FirstGroup’s shares have traded since an emergency rights issue in 2013, which involved £600 million of fundraising to save the company from collapse amid heavy debts. Confidence in the stock has not recovered since.

Shares in First Group rose in morning trading by more than 8 per cent, or 9¾p, to reach 129¼p, suggesting at least some pessimism that a deal can be done at the upper end of I Squared’s conditional offer of up to 163.6p.

The private equity firm is offering 118p a share for First Group, plus up to another 45.6p a share depending on extra money the business could receive from the sale of its US businesses.

A year ago First Group cleared most of its debts with the sale of its city buses and school yellow bus operations in the US for £3.3 billion, most of which went to clearing the group’s liabilities, including to pensioners and governments. Later that year it sold its US intercity coach business Greyhound for £125 million.
It is understood that the 45.6p component of I Squared’s offer relates to future earnings from the US First Transit bus business, an “earnout” that could come First Group’s way at some stage, and the clearing-up of assets and liabilities at Greyhound.

The approach from a US private equity firm will attract the interest of civil servants and ministers.
FirstGroup employs 30,000 people in the UK and runs or co-runs the Avanti west coast main line services between London, Birmingham, Manchester and Glasgow and has been handed the keys to run HS2 high-speed trains when the new line eventually goes into service late this decade. It also operates Great Western Railway connecting London, Bristol and Cardiff, South West Railway, London’s busiest commuter route into and out of Waterloo, the Trans-Pennine Express between Manchester and Leeds, and Lumo, the new low-fare train business between London, Newcastle and Edinburgh.

The company operates as a government train contractor under strict, low-margin, management contracts, determined by the transport department after reforms to the running of the railways during the pandemic under Grant Shapps, the transport secretary.
The group also has significant bus operations around the country.
I Squared has hitherto had a low profile in the UK, though its advisers include Jonson Cox, the recently retired chairman of the water regulator Ofwat. Two decades ago Cox was a senior director of Railtrack, Britain’s privatised railway infrastructure company, before losing his job in a management clear-out prior to the business falling insolvent and being reincarnated as Network Rail.
The company’s approach to FirstGroup is only the latest agitation from would-be American buyers in recent years. The actions of Coast Capital led to FirstGroup’s breakup last year, and the defenestration of various FirstGroup directors along the way. Earlier in the decade the operator had come under attack from Sandell Asset Management.

There has been speculation in the City that a takeover bid for First Group could come from National Express after its recently rebuffed takeover of Stagecoach.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JaJaWa

Established Member
Didn't realise the Stagecoach – National Express takeover had been cancelled

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
If this were to go ahead, it would presumably prevent a takeover of First Group by National Express, about which there had been speculation. In the past, National Express operated Gatwick Express, Midland Mainline, Silverlink, Central Trains and Scotrail, then InterCity East Coast until it defaulted in 2009. Ironically National Express was the target of a takeover bid from First Group in June 2009.
I wasn't aware of any speculation regarding National Express buying out First.

Didn't realise the Stagecoach – National Express takeover had been cancelled
They're being taken over by a subsidiary of DWS. There's a thread here, if you're interested:

Some guy

Hopefully not as terrible as first are I’d be a lot better than some Americans taking over it

jfollows

Established Member
Times business briefing reports that First Group has rejected the takeover approach, primarily because its existing major investors object to the structure of the proposed deal, as well - of course - as not being high enough:
Good morning: The bus and rail group FirstGroup has rejected a takeover approach from the US private equity firm I Squared.

The FTSE 250 company said that the 118p-per-share cash component of the £1.2 billion bid significantly undervalued the company and the strings attached to an extra 45.6p dependent on the sale of its US arm did not provide sufficient certainty.

The Sunday Times revealed last weekend that Schroders, FirstGroup’s biggest shareholder, had urged the board to reject the bid, describing it as unattractive. Shares in the travel group jumped by 25 per cent when the bid was disclosed last month but have been trading at 136.7p, well below the 163.6p offer price.
Elsewhere (https://www.sharecast.com/news/m-a/...und12bn-approach-from-i-squared--9950530.html):
The bid, which values FirstGroup at up to 163.6p a share, includes 45.6p that is conditional on the amount the company eventually receives from the previously agreed sale of its American businesses, including the Greyhound bus line.

Some of FirstGroup’s largest shareholders have reportedly told the company the offer would have to be unconditional for them to accept it, with cash offered in full, independent of future proceeds from asset disposals.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-takeover-proposal-from-i-squared-as-too-low
British bus and train operator FirstGroup Plc said it rejected a takeover approach from I Squared Capital Advisors because the bid undervalues the company.

I Squared’s bid had a cash component worth 118 pence a share, plus a potential 45.6 pence a share based on proceeds from previously agreed FirstGroup disposals.

The board concluded that that the cash portion “significantly undervalues FirstGroup’s continuing operations and its future prospects,” the company said Thursday. The additional contingent payment “does not provide shareholders with sufficient certainty,” FirstGroup said.

FirstGroup received the latest in a series of “unsolicited, conditional proposals” from I Squared on May 26.

The company is attracting bid interest after reversing a foray into North America under pressure from activist investors. The company last year sold its iconic yellow school bus business, the largest in the U.S., to EQT Infrastructure of Sweden in a $4.6 billion deal. That was followed by the disposal of struggling long-distance bus operator Greyhound to Germany’s FlixMobility GmbH.
FirstGroup PLC (LSE:FGP) shareholders have rebelled over a proposed £1.2bn takeover bid from a US private equity firm.
I Squared's bid, which values transport giant FirstGroup at up to 163.6p per share, includes 45.6p that is contingent upon the amount the bus and train group receives from the sale of its American businesses, including Greyhound.
Reports indicate key shareholders would prefer to receive cash in full regardless of future proceeds from asset sales.
FirstGroup's biggest shareholder, Schroders, which holds nearly 18% of the company, called I Squared Capital's offer "unattractive", and said it failed to reflect FirstGroup's weight in the UK's railway sector.
Other shareholders include Threadneedle with 15% stake, Aberforth Partners with 9% stake, and BlackRock institutional trust, which owns just under 6%.
After selling its Greyhound bus service in the US for £125mln late last year, FirstGroup operates Avanti West Coast, Great Western Railway, and South Western Railway.
Ahead of the release of its full-year results on June 14, FirstGroup's board is under pressure to make clear its position on the offer.
FirstGroup's shares are currently trading at 137p, well below the range of I Squared's bid, suggesting that investors do not anticipate it will go through at that price.
EDIT The Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/busines...rejects-12bn-takeover-bid-from-us-equity-firm) notes that I Squared Capital has until 5pm on Thursday 23 June to come up with a firm offer (which will be approved or not by the existing shareholders) or walk away from the plan.

Last edited:

jfollows

Established Member
On June 23 an extension to the deadline until 5pm on July 21 was made.

========================automerge================

The Times today (Saturday 16 July) reports that a takeover is likely to be agreed prior to next Thursday's deadline (https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...er-as-bidder-puts-cash-on-the-table-fcpqsvkgb):

First finally in line for takeover as bidder puts cash on the table​

Dominic Walsh

Saturday July 16 2022, 12.00am, The Times

Followers of Britain’s biggest train operator are betting on a takeover being agreed ahead of next Thursday’s “put up or shut up” deadline amid speculation that its suitor has stumped up more cash.

In May, FirstGroup said that, having rebuffed “a series of unsolicited, conditional proposals” from I Squared, it was considering an offer from the American private equity firm worth 118p a share in cash plus up to another 45.6p as a “contingent right” based on proceeds from the sale of its US businesses.

The board subsequently rejected the £1.22 billion proposal for offering too little cash and too little certainty on the contingent right, although the “put up or shut up” deadline was later extended. Word is that I Squared has now upped its basic cash offer to as much as 150p, although it was unclear whether that could affect the size of the contingent right.

One experienced trainspotter was adamant it was “a done deal”, although there were also suggestions that other private equity firms were sniffing around. The shares chugged along nicely late in the session, adding 4p, or 3.2 per cent, to 130p.

Last edited:

jfollows

Established Member
Deadline extended further to 18th. August (https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/f/firstgroup-plc-ordinary-5p/share-news):
(Sharecast News) - The Takeover Panel has granted FirstGroup an extension of the deadline for I Squared to declare its firm intent to table a takeover bid or walk away.
In a statement, FirstGroup said talks between the two companies were ongoing and the extension until 1700 BST 18 August would allow them to continue to progress.

The new deadline could be extended further if the Takeover Panel agreed.

Shares of FirstGroup closed 1.48% lower at 133.0p.

Jagdpanther

Utterly disgraceful. The railways should be owned and run for the benefit of the British people not American shareholders.

GordonT

Just the way that the sector is heading. Go-Ahead Group has already agreed to a 647.7 million pound takeover from a consortium led by Spain's Globalvia Inversiones SAU and its board continues to recommend the consortium takeover.
Under the deal, accepting shareholders will get 1,450 pence in cash per share and a special dividend of 50 pence a Go-Ahead share, in lieu of a final dividend for the year ending July 2.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Utterly disgraceful. The railways should be owned and run for the benefit of the British people not American shareholders.
The railways are owned by UK government bodies (bar the Heathrow branch, and HS1 is leased out).
The railways are run under largely UK government contracts which are competed for - nothing to stop UK companies bidding.
This is for the benefit of the British people.
WTO rules oblige us to open the rail industry to competition.

jayah

On Moderation
Just the way that the sector is heading. Go-Ahead Group has already agreed to a 647.7 million pound takeover from a consortium led by Spain's Globalvia Inversiones SAU and its board continues to recommend the consortium takeover.
Under the deal, accepting shareholders will get 1,450 pence in cash per share and a special dividend of 50 pence a Go-Ahead share, in lieu of a final dividend for the year ending July 2.
Isn't it remarkable that two of the largest TOC owning groups can be bought in their entirety for barely £2bn when the RMT would have you believe the privateer train companies are making £500m profit every year.

GordonT

Isn't it remarkable that two of the largest TOC owning groups can be bought in their entirety for barely £2bn when the RMT would have you believe the privateer train companies are making £500m profit every year.
NatEx were glad to get shot of their UK rail involvement.

class 9

Well, they returned £500 million to shareholders in 21/22 tax year.

class 9

Yes I'm well aware of that, it's still money being taken out of the business, of which UK rail operations which are not an inconsequential part of the group.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wave01

Selling off assets isn't profit. Do you have a breakdown who supposedly paid what?
I believe first group did. They had extra money from their sale of american assets and did a share buyback. They also have a dividend paying next month funded from the same extra money I believe

jayah

On Moderation
Yes I'm well aware of that, it's still money being taken out of the business, of which UK rail operations which are not an inconsequential part of the group.
If that money was actually earned in another continent it clearly has nothing to do with this.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

No, they categorically do not.
The EU Fourth Railway Package does, but fortunately we left before that neoliberal nonsense was implemented.
As I understand it, the signatories to the GPA (Government Procurement Agreement) sub-group of the WTO club have agreed to open their government contracts to each other.
The GPA includes most of our major trading partners (including the EU), and the list keeps growing.
The GPA is a plurilateral agreement within the framework of the WTO, meaning that not all WTO members are parties to the Agreement. At present, the Agreement has 21 parties comprising 48 WTO members. Thirty-five WTO members/observers participate in the Committee on Government Procurement as observers. Out of these, 11 members are in the process of acceding to the Agreement.

The fundamental aim of the GPA is to mutually open government procurement markets among its parties. As a result of several rounds of negotiations, the GPA parties have opened procurement activities estimated to be worth more than US$ 1.7 trillion annually to international competition (i.e. to suppliers fromthe GPA parties offering goods, services or construction services).

mrmartin

Totally agree. It really shows what a dismal commercial enterprise running railways has been/is. There are tech companies in London with 100 staff worth significantly more than that, even now after the tech correction.

Totally agree. It really shows what a dismal commercial enterprise running railways has been/is. There are tech companies in London with 100 staff worth significantly more than that, even now after the tech correction.
It is almost impossible for any passenger carrying enterprise to run at a profit unless they have more or less a monopoly on transport (i.e. railways before the automobile) or are subsidized e.g. airlines who get their infrastructure essentially for free and are pretty much a monopoly anyway in long distance / international travel.

mrmartin

It is almost impossible for any passenger carrying enterprise to run at a profit unless they have more or less a monopoly on transport (i.e. railways before the automobile) or are subsidized e.g. airlines who get their infrastructure essentially for free and are pretty much a monopoly anyway in long distance / international travel.

But how can the RMT say that £billions of profits is taken out of the industry when those agreements are going for basically nothing? That's the point the above poster was making, which I agree with.

FWIW airlines definitely pay for their way infrastructure cost wise, at least in the UK. A return long haul flight from LHR will have £30x2 passenger access charges for the use of heathrow, plus £91 air passenger duty. I'm unsure how you would consider that subsidised?

baza585

But how can the RMT say that £billions of profits is taken out of the industry when those agreements are going for basically nothing? That's the point the above poster was making, which I agree with.

FWIW airlines definitely pay for their way infrastructure cost wise, at least in the UK. A return long haul flight from LHR will have £30x2 passenger access charges for the use of heathrow, plus £91 air passenger duty. I'm unsure how you would consider that subsidised?
Fuel duty-free. Massive subsidy.

Moonshot

Established Member
Ryanair and Easyjet make a profit flying out of Manchester Airport. The provider of the airport itself also make a profit.

mrmartin

Fuel duty-free. Massive subsidy.
But there is air passenger duty on the flight? A 787-9 from London to NY will burn approx 40,000L of fuel. It carries ~300 passengers, so 133L of fuel per person. Given APD is £90 for that flight (assuming all economy, which isn't actually the case, it will be a fair bit higher for business passengers), that is the same as a duty rate of 67p/litre. It's only charged one way, so for a return flight it works out at half that, so 34p/litre. I'm not sure if trains in the UK have to pay full fuel duty rates these days, but it is definitely not duty free.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
As I understand it, the signatories to the GPA (Government Procurement Agreement) sub-group of the WTO club have agreed to open their government contracts to each other.
The GPA includes most of our major trading partners (including the EU), and the list keeps growing.

Ah yes, it's funny how none of this stuff ever turns up in a manifesto or receives any public scrutiny.

You can bet your bottom dollar that there's no requirement for the said governments to actually be open and democratic. I wonder how long before we have to open up our government contracts to the communists and other authoritarians,

Status
Not open for further replies.