• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Public places with playable pianos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Not seen one recently, but at various times there have been pianos in / near the Liverpool ONE shopping area.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

py_megapixel

Established Member
I know the shopping centre bit of St Pancras has a piano which members of the public can sit and play.
There's also one on one of the platforms at Bristol Temple Meads.
Stockport has one, but it's in very poor condition (most of the keys don't work, and those that do are extremely out-of-tune)

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
Darlington certainly had one added 3-4 years ago. Not sure whether it still is though, I haven't thought to look!

trainmania100

Established Member
Saw one in South London last week in an underpass between platforms. Selhurst I think it was (hopefully someone can back me up ...)

Dent

I don't know whether it is still there but there used to be one in the ticket hall at Tottenham Court Road underground station.

Pete_uk

Established Member
There were a few around Gloucester s few years ago. One in a shopping centre was being tapped at by some kids. When they moved I walked up and hit a few keys like I knew what I was doing and a rather nice tune came out of it.
Half the shopping center stoped and looked at me and after a moment someone said 'I thought you were going to play a nice tune!'.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
There is one at Manchester Piccadilly which seems to be getting played every time I walk through. There was one at Manchester Oxford Road, but I am not sure if it is still there. There should be one at Manchester Victoria - the new concourse demands it. There is also a piano placed outside Forsyth’s music shop on Deansgate, which gets played a lot too. I love seeing them about and there should be more.

Enthusiast

Established Member
Bromley South had one on the overbridge just beyond the ticket barriers. The last time I was there I didn't notice it by my train was pulling in and I had to dash. I'll look next time.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Glasgow Central has one that regularly features on the BBC documentary series "Inside Central Station".

D365

Veteran Member
Derby, on the bridge between Platforms 1 and 2. And I'm surprised that York hasn't been mentioned yet.

There's also one on one of the platforms at Bristol Temple Meads.

I raise you the following video:

"Playing Thomas the Tank Engine theme in a Train Station" by Joe Jenkins (YouTube)

iphone76

There was one at Liverpool Street Station near the MacDonalds. Strangley, the one at Abbey Wood Station now resides in one of the staff toilets. Very surreal.

D6130

Established Member
There's one in the Downside waiting room (platform 2) at Hebden Bridge. It's been re-tuned a couple of times since it was donated, but is now badly out of tune again, as it gets some pretty heavy punishment from schoolkids and teenagers messing about. To be honest, I don't think a small waiting room is the ideal location for a piano. They're fine out on the wide, airy concourse of a large station, but to subject weary commuters to an out-of -tune rattling, jangling version of 'Chopsticks' while they wait for their delayed train on a cold, wet morning in a twelve foot x twelve foot waiting room is a form of torture which should be outlawed by the Geneva Convention!

Pianos are also quite common on the concourses of large European stations too.

Last edited:

Jimini

Established Member
There’s one at Euston as well, opposite the WHSmith store on the main concourse.

Class800

Established Member
I played the St Pancras one a while back - nothing fancy, just a few chord progressions really

I am a drummer, and haven't really played keyboards much for nearly 15 years now

geoffk

Established Member
A few years ago Blackburn market had one and I think Heaton Chapel station also. Not noticed any since moving to Devon.

Jimini

Established Member
Reading has one as well now, on the Caversham side of the station by the entrance on Vastern Road.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
I was in Manchester Piccadilly on Friday and there was a member of staff playing the piano which has been moved to Metrolink escalators near P9 & P10. He seemed to have a bit of an audience because he was playing something really beautiful and it made you feel almost in hypnotic state.

duncanp

Established Member
There is a video of one at Chicago station which plays automatically - watch the annoyed businessman around 1 minutes in!

It is amusing to see someone having a loud mobile phone conversation in a public place complaining about an irritating noise. <D<D

Tom B

Established Member
Orchard Square shopping centre in Sheffield has (had? haven't been in there in a few years) one in the food court.

JRT

There's one in the Downside waiting room (platform 2) at Hebden Bridge. It's been re-tuned a couple of times since it was donated, but is now badly out of tune again, as it gets some pretty heavy punishment from schoolkids and teenagers messing about. To be honest, I don't think a small waiting room is the ideal location for a piano. They're fine out on the wide, airy concourse of a large station, but to subject weary commuters to an out-of -tune rattling, jangling version of 'Chopsticks' while they wait for their delayed train on a cold, wet morning in a twelve foot x twelve foot waiting room is a form of torture which should be outlawed by the Geneva Convention!

Pianos are also quite common on the concourses of large European stations too.
Doesn't seem to get played much these days

Status
Not open for further replies.