• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

QI TV series: Has it passed its Use By Date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Years ago, like any right-thinking, middle-class ratepayer of a certain age, I would settle down in my armchair on a Thursday evening in my slippers & St. Michael cardigan to watch QI on the telly. At the time it was hosted by that clever 'national treasure' Mr. Fry, lots of jolly chaps on the panel, and all very "BBC".

After a good few years break, I recently read an article saying, under Sandi Toksvig's tutelage, QI has gone from strength to strength - especially with a greater proportion of female raconteurs now appearing on the panel.

So, in the digital age and residing a long way from the Home Counties, I logged into my streaming service to watch a couple of episodes from the most recent "S"-series.

Whilst I agree Sandi Toksvig was an inspired replacement for Stephen Fry's role as superior, schoolmasterly compere, I can't say I thought QI is exactly going "from strength to strength".

One particular annoyance:- For **** sake, isn't it time to retire that ". . . and Alan's buzzer goes *parp*" routine at the start of each and every show?

Maybe I've been watching for too many years, but QI does seem a bit tired now.

What do others think? Strength-to-Strength, or Past-its-Use-By-Date?
Can the QI concept keep going for another seven years until they finally reach the "Z" series?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheBigD

Established Member
Stopped watching it years ago. It became pretty bland and predictable with each series. I guess it can't be easy to keep something fresh and edgy for 26 series but it lost it definitely lost it's edge.

Add to that Sandi Toksvig was a poor replacement for Stephen Fry. The banter between Stephen and Alan is simply not there between Sandi and Alan. Indeed she seems pretty contemptuous towards him.

Typhoon

Established Member
It's certainly not the 'must watch' it used to be. I certainly didn't see all of the last series. I used to like it not so much for the humour but because the facts were interesting, or possibly Stephen Fry made them so, now it's sort of yeh, so what.

Some of the standard sections have become jaded. General Ignorance - every one knows that it isn't the obvious answer now so one panelist presses the buzzer to say the obvious just to move on. Alan saying 'Blue Whale'.

They also appear to have some annoying comedians (or at least ones I find annoying, it could be my old age)

They will be OK with 'T', after that they may struggle. Maybe very short series for X and Z?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I suppose that all the quiz-coms have a natural shelf life. It's notable that Nevermind the Buzzcocks and They Think It's All Over have ended already.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
More confusing is why Have I Got News For You is still going, an even staler format which has tailed a long decline since Angus was forced out.

Kite159

Veteran Member
More confusing is why Have I Got News For You is still going, an even staler format which has tailed a long decline since Angus was forced out.

For the BBC it keeps going because it's cheap TV to make, and probably has no shortage of celebrities wanting to host an episode to get exposure.

Springs Branch

Established Member
The banter between Stephen and Alan is simply not there between Sandi and Alan. Indeed she seems pretty contemptuous towards him.
As I was posting this question, I was trying to rationalise to myself why I find today's QI so unappealing.

I think @TheBigD's posting pretty much sums it up for me too. Especially the differences between the Fry : Davies banter (mildly condescending) and the Toksvig : Davies version (somewhat contemptuous, as said).

kristiang85

Established Member
I really like Sandi in charge of QI, and to be honest its 'easy' TV to put on after dinner. You learn some interesting things and have some laughs; yes it's incredibly predictable, and some of the panellists are awful these days, but I'd be sad if it finished.

gg1

Established Member
I thought the switch to guest presenters around 20 years ago actually improved the show initially, though it's been a good 10 years or so since I last regarded it as a must watch

Trackman

Established Member
I really like Sandi in charge of QI, and to be honest its 'easy' TV to put on after dinner. You learn some interesting things and have some laughs; yes it's incredibly predictable, and some of the panellists are awful these days, but I'd be sad if it finished.
I think Sandi is good too, but as mentioned above I think the format is now tired thus I don't watch it anymore.

Going slightly OT, I still watch HIGNFY. I think it's a bit up and down with guest presenters but they are basically reading the same script format. Before Angus was sacked (who was happy to carry on) the BBC did an online vote asking if they wanted Angus Deayton to remain as host, a resounding 75% said yes - but they still sacked them. I think it needs a permanent host - that's not going to happen though as viewing figures are good.

kristiang85

Established Member
I think Sandi is good too, but as mentioned above I think the format is now tired thus I don't watch it anymore.

Going slightly OT, I still watch HIGNFY. I think it's a bit up and down with guest presenters but they are basically reading the same script format. Before Angus was sacked (who was happy to carry on) the BBC did an online vote asking if they wanted Angus Deayton to remain as host, a resounding 75% said yes - but they still sacked them. I think it needs a permanent host - that's not going to happen though as viewing figures are good.

I honestly think most of these programmes suffer from the fact that there are so many panel comedy shows now that the best comedians are spread very thinly, and - to be brutally honest - there seems to be a quota system now on many channels meaning that you have a lot of unknown and inexperienced guests on the panels, which detracts from the quality. When you watch the old ones on Dave this is very apparent.

D821

Getting rid of Alan Davies would be a good start. His shtick was never that funny to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.