• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Books and Magazines for Disposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeRobeck

I'd be grateful for any advice on how to dispose of a quantity of old railway books, magazines and photo albums that have come into my possession from the widow of a deceased friend who had been a railway enthusiast in his youth. They are mostly in good to fair condition and are either "free to a good home" or if anyone thinks they are worth selling the proceeds would be donated to charity. The full list amounting to 3 sides of A4 is available to anyone who is interested. The following are just a few examples:

Railway Wonders of the World weekly magazines dating from 1935
Railway Locomotives monthly newssheets published by the British Locomotive Society 1947 to 1964
The Northern Railfans Club monthly newssheets 1960 to 1964
Titans of the Track – the Great Western Railway Ian Allen 1945
3 albums of black and white photographs taken by the deceased in the 1960s, mostly in and around North Wales and North West England.

I am prepared to accept that the collection may only be fit for the skip but it would seem disrespectful to take this route without ascertaining if there is any interest from enthusiasts or collectors. Any advice gratefully received. Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
I'd be grateful for any advice on how to dispose of a quantity of old railway books, magazines and photo albums that have come into my possession from the widow of a deceased friend who had been a railway enthusiast in his youth. They are mostly in good to fair condition and are either "free to a good home" or if anyone thinks they are worth selling the proceeds would be donated to charity. The full list amounting to 3 sides of A4 is available to anyone who is interested. The following are just a few examples:

Railway Wonders of the World weekly magazines dating from 1935
Railway Locomotives monthly newssheets published by the British Locomotive Society 1947 to 1964
The Northern Railfans Club monthly newssheets 1960 to 1964
Titans of the Track – the Great Western Railway Ian Allen 1945
3 albums of black and white photographs taken by the deceased in the 1960s, mostly in and around North Wales and North West England.

I am prepared to accept that the collection may only be fit for the skip but it would seem disrespectful to take this route without ascertaining if there is any interest from enthusiasts or collectors. Any advice gratefully received. Thank you.

I would get in touch with the NRM and ask if they have some of those publications in the library section. The very early ones might be of interest to them as I suspect most people threw them away after a few weeks. I'll send you a PM regarding the pictures

yorksrob

Veteran Member
You could always take them to your local steam railway. They're often looking for interesting books, magazines and photographs to sell on.

Status
Not open for further replies.