• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading Green Park Station Funding Approved

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkyT

Established Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-30128617

Green Park train station funding approved for Reading

The £6.4m Green Park station will be built on the Reading to Basingstoke line near the Madejski Stadium, with construction planned in October 2016.

It is part of a £21.4m batch of schemes agreed by the Berkshire Local Transport Body, and funded by the government.

Newbury, Bracknell and Slough councils have had road upgrades approved.
Plans for the station include a bus interchange, park and ride, a short stay car park and taxi drop-off....

Planning permission has been granted for a similar scheme in the past. I found one application 'permitted' in July 2004 under Planning Application Number 031361 on the Reading Borough Council planning website here: http://planning.reading.gov.uk/fastweb_PL/welcome.asp

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

davetheguard

Established Member
The £6.4m Green Park station will be built on the Reading to Basingstoke line near the Madejski Stadium, with construction planned in October 2016.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-30128617

Good news, thanks for posting MarkyT. This is another of those new stations that's been on the cards for years; I can remember talk of a new station nearby (but on the Berks & Hants rather than the Basingstoke line) back around 1980!

Not sure what the paper's line "construction planned in October 2016" means though: construction planned to start in October 2016; or construction planned (i.e. finished) by October 2016? If the glacial progress so far is anything to go by, presumably the former.

MarkyT

Established Member
. . . finished) by October 2016? If the glacial progress so far is anything to go by, presumably the former.

I hope its completion date. 23 months for a simple two platform station, access roads, footbridge should be possible if contracts were signed soon. Funding being approved should mean things can get moving.

The Ham

Established Member
Good news, thanks for posting MarkyT. This is another of those new stations that's been on the cards for years; I can remember talk of a new station nearby (but on the Berks & Hants rather than the Basingstoke line) back around 1980!

Not sure what the paper's line "construction planned in October 2016" means though: construction planned to start in October 2016; or construction planned (i.e. finished) by October 2016? If the glacial progress so far is anything to go by, presumably the former.

...or even construction will be supper fast and only require October 2016 <D

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I hope its completion date. 23 months for a simple two platform station, access roads, footbridge should be possible if contracts were signed soon. Funding being approved should mean things can get moving.

It's already been through planning IIRC - will they be able to just resubmit the existing approved plans from 2009 - even if the approval was time limited?

Last edited:

cle

Established Member
With wiring and this new station, what future plans are there for this line service-wise?

Higher frequency, to a metro level? Trains through to Paddington/Crossrail?

BantamMenace

With wiring and this new station, what future plans are there for this line service-wise?

I highly doubt crossrail will ever go west of Reading

Chris125

Established Member

Through services would seem reasonably likely in due course, the Heathrow Western Access services would appear to be obvious candidates.

Chris

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Through services would seem reasonably likely in due course, the Heathrow Western Access services would appear to be obvious candidates.

Chris

Basingstoke to Paddington in the peaks seems likely. But then the new Wessex 'route study' even suggests a Southampton to Paddington via Heathrow service on the route - but the question is will RGP be served by a local stopper - or a long distance through service. I suggest the former...

infobleep

Veteran Member
It's already been through planning IIRC - will they be able to just resubmit the existing approved plans from 2009 - even if the approval was time limited?
That would depend on whether the original planning approval had a time limit attached to it. Certainly most housing conversions do. Of course this is different.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That would depend on whether the original planning approval had a time limit attached to it. Certainly most housing conversions do. Of course this is different.

It was time limited - to three years. What I was meaning was whether the same application would just get nodded through, or they would have to go back through every stage again...

davetheguard

Established Member
Basingstoke to Paddington in the peaks seems likely. But then the new Wessex 'route study' even suggests a Southampton to Paddington via Heathrow service on the route - but the question is will RGP be served by a local stopper - or a long distance through service. I suggest the former...

I'm sure I remember a single, unbalanced, Basingstoke to Paddington stopper in the morning formed by a class 117 DMU at some time in the mid/late 1980's. I don't think it lasted very long. One or two timetables perhaps.

But even if a through service from the SW main line wasn't possible, a regular Basingstoke via Reading to Crossrail stations or Basingstoke to Heathrow T5 EMU service could be pretty handy for quite a few people. Journeys such as Bournemouth or Southampton to Heathrow would be very convenient even with a single change at Basingstoke.

Last edited:

bluenoxid

Established Member
I'm sure I remember a single, unbalanced, Basingstoke to Paddington stopper in the morning formed by a class 117 DMU at some time in the mid/late 1980's. I don't think it lasted very long. One or two timetables perhaps.

But even if a through service from the SW main line wasn't possible, a regular Basingstoke via Reading to Crossrail stations or Basingstoke to Heathrow T5 EMU service could be pretty handy for quite a few people. Journeys such as Bournemouth or Southampton to Heathrow would be very convenient even with a single change at Basingstoke.

Is this route more likely than Southern Rail Access to Heathrow?

MarkyT

Established Member

The Network Rail Western Route Study has already pointed out there is great potential for combining local services across Reading. Without this, terminating 2TPH from Crossrail as well as perhaps 4TPH from Heathrow could be a problem, blocking the limited number of platforms for fairly long dwell times and leaving little path space for handling other through passenger services in the Relief side platforms along with the freights.

In the similar vein at Heathrow a through service between either Crossrail or Paddington, via the airport, to Reading can serve both T5 and the T123 stations whilst using platforms more efficiently.

Status
Not open for further replies.