• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading- Penrith Sunday 18th December

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiddaw

Hi All,

I'm due to travel back to Penrith from Reading on Sunday 18th December (on presumption I make it there in the first place as I'm due to travel down on 15th). I have a standard return ticket via Euston (I usually prefer that route) but in view of the strike action over the previous few days (and the overtime ban from 18th onwards) I'm a bit concerned about what the service between Reading- Paddington is going to be like (I'm aiming for the 12.40 train from Euston- on which I have a reserved seat- if it is running). I'm therefore wondering if, when it comes to it, I'd be permitted to travel on the Cross Country route (via Banbury) instead in view of the (presumably) ongoing disruption? My ticket says via Euston only but it's actually cheaper to travel via Banbury (for what it is worth). It would be good to know I have an alternative/fall back option if the other route is looking pear-shaped. If it isn't permitted, is there an easy way to change my ticket to allow for the second option? Thanks for any insight...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hi All,

I'm due to travel back to Penrith from Reading on Sunday 18th December (on presumption I make it there in the first place as I'm due to travel down on 15th). I have a standard return ticket via Euston (I usually prefer that route) but in view of the strike action over the previous few days (and the overtime ban from 18th onwards) I'm a bit concerned about what the service between Reading- Paddington is going to be like (I'm aiming for the 12.40 train from Euston- on which I have a reserved seat- if it is running). I'm therefore wondering if, when it comes to it, I'd be permitted to travel on the Cross Country route (via Banbury) instead in view of the (presumably) ongoing disruption? My ticket says via Euston only but it's actually cheaper to travel via Banbury (for what it is worth). It would be good to know I have an alternative/fall back option if the other route is looking pear-shaped. If it isn't permitted, is there an easy way to change my ticket to allow for the second option? Thanks for any insight...
Assuming you hold a through ticket, then as you say, the 'via Banbury' route of fare is actually cheaper. Therefore travel via Banbury is permitted under the Routeing Guide and there is no need to obtain a change of route excess (as would be the case if you held the via Banbury ticket and wanted to travel via Euston).

I don't think you should struggle to travel between Reading and Paddington on a strike day, unforeseen problems (OLE/signalling fault) aside.

Skiddaw

Thanks Watershed. That's appreciated. Sunday 18th isn't actually a strike day as it happens but being as it is the day following two strike days (and the start of the overtime ban) I'm anticipating problems. It does help to know I can travel on the Banbury route if necessary (and yes- I have a through ticket).

mangyiscute

Established Member
I will also note that the trains yesterday (the day after a strike) there were plenty of Reading to London GWR trains running in the morning, so that wouldn't be an issue.
However, it might be worth going on the Cross Country just because then if Avanti have a meltdown you can go via Manchester onto TPE without having to use an Avanti train, whereas if you get to Euston and there are issues its a lot harder to find an alternative route that wouldn't be super busy and take quite a bit longer.

Veteran Member
I will also note that the trains yesterday (the day after a strike) there were plenty of Reading to London GWR trains running in the morning, so that wouldn't be an issue.
However, it might be worth going on the Cross Country just because then if Avanti have a meltdown you can go via Manchester onto TPE without having to use an Avanti train, whereas if you get to Euston and there are issues its a lot harder to find an alternative route that wouldn't be super busy and take quite a bit longer.
Bear in mind that after an RMT strike (Saturday was ASLEF) trains start up late, though. Should st8ll be OK.

Skiddaw

Bear in mind that after an RMT strike (Saturday was ASLEF) trains start up late, though. Should st8ll be OK.
Yes, that's exactly it- I'm a bit concerned about the leg from Reading- Paddington (I'm even more concerned about my initial leg from Aldermaston Wharf to Reading but I can probably blag a lift for that section if trains aren't running until later/at all).

mangyiscute

Established Member
I think that after the one on the 5th Nov (this was cancelled but the same timetable ran) I recall the first Reading to London train being at 07:10 with some fast trains starting around 9am (as I wanted to travel into london early on this day for the start of elizabeth line through running) - I would predict with 99.9% certainty that you'd have no trouble getting from Reading to London for around 12pm (for that 12:40)

Established Member
I think that after the one on the 5th Nov (this was cancelled but the same timetable ran) I recall the first Reading to London train being at 07:10 with some fast trains starting around 9am (as I wanted to travel into london early on this day for the start of elizabeth line through running) - I would predict with 99.9% certainty that you'd have no trouble getting from Reading to London for around 12pm (for that 12:40)
Massively different this time, as action short of a strike in place. I'm not relying on little more than a strike day timetable running in many places.

mangyiscute

Established Member
but even in a strike timetable reading to london is hourly - surely the issue would be the 12:40 being altered/cancelled

Benjwri

Established Member
I'm a bit concerned about the leg from Reading- Paddington
Reading to Paddington will be the least of your worries. I’ve travelled on a fair few strike days between the two and it has been absolutely fine. It’s probably the most reliable area of the GWR network.

If for some reason GWR does have a huge issue though the Elizabeth Line will also be running a normal service, as TfL are not holding strike action.

Skiddaw

Reading to Paddington will be the least of your worries. I’ve travelled on a fair few strike days between the two and it has been absolutely fine. It’s probably the most reliable area of the GWR network.

If for some reason GWR does have a huge issue though the Elizabeth Line will also be running a normal service, as TfL are not holding strike action.
Thanks Benjwn- I hadn't considered the Elizabeth Line. Nice to know there's a fall-back position if there's a GWR problem.

I expect I sound overly paranoid but I think every journey I've made for the past year or so has been compromised in some way or other (mainly, though not exclusively, Avanti-related obviously...)

Benjwri

Established Member
Thanks Benjwn- I hadn't considered the Elizabeth Line. Nice to know there's a fall-back position if there's a GWR problem.

I expect I sound overly paranoid but I think every journey I've made for the past year or so has been compromised in some way or other (mainly, though not exclusively, Avanti-related obviously...)
Short of a block on all lines for an uncontrollable reason, the Reading to London line is very reliable. The frequency is high enough that delays make very little difference, as the frequency is pretty much turn up and go. Having travelled it fairly often in the summer, including strikes and the heat wave, the only time I ever had to wait longer than maybe 10-15 minutes at Reading was when unfortunately someone killed themselves, and even then I was only delayed by around 30 minutes.

Skiddaw

Short of a block on all lines for an uncontrollable reason, the Reading to London line is very reliable. The frequency is high enough that delays make very little difference, as the frequency is pretty much turn up and go. Having travelled it fairly often in the summer, including strikes and the heat wave, the only time I ever had to wait longer than maybe 10-15 minutes at Reading was when unfortunately someone killed themselves, and even then I was only delayed by around 30 minutes.
Thanks Benjwri. I agree I've yet to experience a problem on that section of the journey but my paranoia knows no bounds these days!

Oh how wonderful it would be to just get on a train without having to worry about it for days or weeks in advance.... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.