• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reggio Calabria Airport, Italy

Iskra

Established Member
Many years of decline for this airport, have resulted in the offering demising to just a couple of ITA flights a day to Rome and Milan. However, from April Ryanair seem to be having a go at re-launching a decent service with flights to/from Manchester, Berlin, Barcelona, Venice, Bologna, Turin, Tirana and Marseilles. This is quite a jump in the offering and it will be interesting to see how things work out going forwards.

This seems to provide increased direct competition against Trenitalia long distance services, being more convenient for Reggio residents than Lamezia or Catania airports. But, at the same time the airport is served by direct trains from Reggio so Trenitalia may gain some increased local passengers there.

It could be quite an interesting/scenic landing too with the nearby mountains and the low level flight down the straits of Messina, if anyone fancies trying it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Given the mess that is Catania Airport I'd gladly give this a go. Shame about it only being Ryanair but they seem to be dominating the Italian market at the moment so that's not a huge surprise.

Iskra

Established Member
Given the mess that is Catania Airport I'd gladly give this a go. Shame about it only being Ryanair but they seem to be dominating the Italian market at the moment so that's not a huge surprise.
Yes, it's definitely worth a try. I've already made plans for this summer, but if it survives to the Autumn or next Summer it's an option I will try.

atillathehunn

Established Member
An interesting year for breathing new life into southern Italy airports.

Salerno comes back online this year, with easyJet offering flights to the UK (Gatwick).

Reggio Calabria gets new international and domestic services.

While part of Reggio Calabria's expansion has been at the expense of airports such as Catania (a bit chaotic, and prone to volcano-induced delays), part is also the region on the mainline side of the Messina strait being worth a visit, too, and plenty of diaspora from the region scattered around.

It is interesting, though, that this hasn't come in the form of more service to Comiso, for example, which has a cursory service.