• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Restore Your Railway - South Fylde

Lytham Local

I'm interested in the full project, but given my user name, I'm more interested in my local branch than any other the other projects and proposals.

There doesn't appear to be anything happening on this project. A few mentions on one of the MP's Facebook page and a couple of back slapping speeches in the House of Commons but nothing of any substance or detail.

Given that Blackpool South is going through a by-election following the resignation of the MP for some dodgy dealing, and more recently the loss of the Fylde MP for some even dodgier dealings, I'm not expecting anything major this side of the general election (other than some soundbites and broken promises).

Does anyone have any other information on this part of the RYR project?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It didnt get past the first stage of screening when the initial strategic business case was done (over two years ago).

Not least because there wasn‘t any missing railway to restore.

Last edited:

GardenRail

I'm interested in the full project, but given my user name, I'm more interested in my local branch than any other the other projects and proposals.

There doesn't appear to be anything happening on this project. A few mentions on one of the MP's Facebook page and a couple of back slapping speeches in the House of Commons but nothing of any substance or detail.

Given that Blackpool South is going through a by-election following the resignation of the MP for some dodgy dealing, and more recently the loss of the Fylde MP for some even dodgier dealings, I'm not expecting anything major this side of the general election (other than some soundbites and broken promises).

Does anyone have any other information on this part of the RYR project?
Same with Stocksbridge in Sheffield. Conveniently forgotten.

sprunt

It didnt get past the first stage of screening when the initial strategic business case was done (over two years ago).

Not least because there wasn‘t any missing railway to restore.

I was going to ask what's to restore? Looking at old maps I can't see anything that isn't still there - what is this particular campaign hoping to achieve?

Teds

I went to a tour of Starr Gate depot about 5 years and one of the councillors was talking about extending the current tramway back to the junction at Kirkham and Wesham over the Blackpool South branch using the standard Blackpool Flexitys. However, that seems have been forgotten. I was at a talk given by a senior member of the Blackpool Transport management team earlier this month where he was enthusing about using tram-trains to restore the Poulton to Fleetwood line with a through service to Preston. There was a hope that some the mythical HS2 money would fund it.

Personally, I think the first option would be better but I don't live in the area and only visit occasionally to ride the historic trams.

Mollman

Established Member
I was going to ask what's to restore? Looking at old maps I can't see anything that isn't still there - what is this particular campaign hoping to achieve?
The aim was to install a passing loop to allow a half-hourly service to Blackpool South via Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Given that the line was double track then it technically is restoring the railway.

A0wen

On Moderation
Same with Stocksbridge in Sheffield. Conveniently forgotten.

Well, it is down to the promoters of such schemes to produce a viable business case - that many of them fail to do this tells you alot about the viability of such schemes.

It's not for the DfT or government to deliver the benefits case.

Elecman

Established Member
Dynamic loop between Lytham and Ansdell/St Anne’s to permit 2tph service

Some guy

It should be electrified it’s absolutely bonkers it never was but if they have to electrify that they should electrify to ormskirk and towards colne

AlastairFraser

Established Member
It should be electrified it’s absolutely bonkers it never was but if they have to electrify that they should electrify to ormskirk and towards colne
They should do Ormskirk/Colne, but Blackpool South electrification would be done much better with an extension from the end of the tramway at Starr Gate to Squires Gate station (very close to each other), then for the tramway to take the alignment of the branch line south towards Kirkham and Wesham - a proposal that another forum member referenced earlier.

It would mean a far more frequent, modern and good value service on most of the line, while freeing up a sought-after hourly path from Preston to Kirkham.

BPN2022

Would also love Poulton to Fleetwood to be reinstated too.

Other than Summer Saturday and school holidays during April, May and August, does the Blackpool South branch need 2tph?

WestCoast

Established Member
Would also love Poulton to Fleetwood to be reinstated too.

Other than Summer Saturday and school holidays during April, May and August, does the Blackpool South branch need 2tph?

I guess if it were more frequent it might see more use and attract users from the buses. There’s 3 buses an hour for most of the day on the Stagecoach 68 between Preston and Blackpool, and that more than doubles up between Blackpool and Lytham with all the additional services from Blackpool Transport.

randyrippley

Established Member
FWIW I noticed last week that housebuilding has started on the land that used to carry the Blackpool-Fleetwood curve at Poulton, so that's one piece of track that can't be restored

randyrippley

Established Member
Would there be a need for a Blackpool/Fleetwood train, given the tram service?
It would give direct links to Thornton, Norcross area, and the Burn Naze industrial area from Blackpool. All along the river from Thornton to Fleetwood is a complex of abandoned chemical, docks, and other industrial sites which need redevelopment

The Planner

Veteran Member
It would give direct links to Thornton, Norcross area, and the Burn Naze industrial area from Blackpool. All along the river from Thornton to Fleetwood is a complex of abandoned chemical, docks, and other industrial sites which need redevelopment
Was it even in the original RYR plan for it? I doubt it was. It certainly wouldn't have had passive provision left in the re-signalling like the main connection to the branch. Nothing to stop people changing trains at Poulton either.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
I guess if it were more frequent it might see more use and attract users from the buses. There’s 3 buses an hour for most of the day on the Stagecoach 68 between Preston and Blackpool, and that more than doubles up between Blackpool and Lytham with all the additional services from Blackpool Transport.
Especially if it was part of the tram network and had links all the way up the shore.

Llandudno

Established Member
Would there be a need for a Blackpool/Fleetwood train, given the tram service?
It takes about an hour from Fleetwood to Blackpool on the tram, then add interchange time at North station and then train to Preston, you are getting on for 90+ minutes just to get from Fleetwood to Preston.

Chester1

Established Member
FWIW I noticed last week that housebuilding has started on the land that used to carry the Blackpool-Fleetwood curve at Poulton, so that's one piece of track that can't be restored

This doesn't effect the Fleetwood-Poulton curve?

AlastairFraser

Established Member
It takes about an hour from Fleetwood to Blackpool on the tram, then add interchange time at North station and then train to Preston, you are getting on for 90+ minutes just to get from Fleetwood to Preston.
An hour?! It's 41 mins to North Pier, and will likely be 45 mins through to North station when the extension opens soon. 25 mins onto Preston, so more like 1hr15.

Quickest way directly from Fleetwood is bus 74/75 to Poulton station (about 30 mins), then approx 17 mins to Preston. The 74/75 aren't mega frequent, but with a decent connection, you're looking at an hour.

Meerkat

Established Member
Just extend the tram from south of Fleetwood to Poulton. Share the final route into Fleetwood.
Better than opening it as a railway.

Chester1

Established Member
Just extend the tram from south of Fleetwood to Poulton. Share the final route into Fleetwood.
Better than opening it as a railway.

I wonder how much progress there will be when Lancashire local government is eventually reformed. Blackpool trams should become a Fylde Metro but the current boundaries between the Blackpool and Lancashire County Council hinder it. Having either a unitary authority for the whole of Fylde or the current setup with a Lancashire Combined Authority covering the unitary authorities will help. I suspect extending the trams to Lytham or Kirkham will have a better business case than Fleetwood to Poulton though because less work is involved.