• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT turns down Network Rail Pay Offer

GardenRail

As per the title.

https://share.flipboard.com/bookmarklet/popout?url=https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2024/04/rmt-union-rejects-network-rail-pay-offer.html

The RMT Union says it has rejected a below-inflation 2024 pay offer from Network Rail.
The pay offer was for 3.5% pay rise but has been rejected by the rail union today (18th April).
RMT general secretary Mick Lynch said that such double standards were unacceptable and an insult to hardworking Network Rail staff.

“Network Rail is once again making an offer that represents a cut in living standards as pay is not keeping up with the rising costs of rent, mortgages, energy, food, and other essentials.
“As a result, RMT is calling for urgent fresh negotiations and a much-improved offer for this year,”

RMT Press Office:

RAIL UNION RMT has rejected a below-inflation 2024 pay offer from Network Rail of just 3.5 per cent today (Thursday April 18, 2024) at a time when MPs have handed themselves an uplift of 5.5 per cent.

The company offered an increase of just 3.5 per cent, even though the benchmark measure of inflation used for negotiations is the November RPI figure which was 5.3 per cent.
RMT general secretary Mick Lynch said that such double standards were unacceptable and an insult to hardworking Network Rail staff.
“Network Rail is once again making an offer that represents a cut in living standards as pay is not keeping up with the rising costs of rent, mortgages, energy, food, and other essentials.
“As a result, RMT is calling for urgent fresh negotiations and a much-improved offer for this year,” he said.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I thought that the current inflation figure was in the region of 3.2%, which is less than the 3.5% figure referred to in the OP.

With regards to the RMT press release stating that MP's "handing themselves an uplift of 5.5%" can I seek clarification of who is the body that determines increases in MP's salary or is it just the MP's who decide such matters.

Last edited:

Royal351

The union went into the pay talks taking November's RPI which was 5.3%, as the pay award date was Jan 2024.

Plus the full deal Network Rail has come back to RMT is was rubbish.
NR response to more or less anything the union put forward was to set a torch to it and go "lol no". I can sense a fun summer ahead

Class 317

It's incorrect of the RMT to state it's below inflation when inflation is lower than the amount offered. I'd struggle to understand how the RMT can call this an insult as a result.
Even if they are referring to a previous month it would still be in the same ball park so hardly an insulting offer but equally not a generous one.

GardenRail

It's incorrect of the RMT to state it's below inflation when inflation is lower than the amount offered. I'd struggle to understand how the RMT can call this an insult as a result.
Even if they are referring to a previous month it would still be in the same ball park so hardly an insulting offer but equally not a generous one.
The pay anniversary was 1st January 2024. 4%

Last edited:
Not sure what MP pay has to do with anything.

Hopefully this doesn’t rumble on, I can’t see where the money will come from for much more than 3.5%. I think 5% would be a maximum.

GuyGibsonVC

NR have always used November RPI from the previous year for the January award and, now that it doesn’t suit the company, they change it and say 'Ah, but inflation is coming down' nearly 5 months after the pay anniversary.

I bet if November RPI was low and inflation was going higher they would go back to the old agreement.

Snow1964

Established Member
Since when has November been a benchmark?

Do the RMT just pick a random month that suits themselves

CPI (Nov 2023) was 3.9%, RPI was 5.3%, CPIH was 4.2%

Nippy

NR have always used Novembers RPI as the benchmark for the following Januarys pay award.

GardenRail

November has been the common benchmark for at least my 22 years, as has RPI. Only recently has this become when it suits, basically since Covid.

CyrusWuff

Established Member

Similarly, February's RPI (published mid-March) is used for staff with an April anniversary date, as it's the last one to be published before 1st April.

winks

Fully expecting a revised offer of 3.5% plus £500 non consolidated bonus ?

Moonshot

Established Member
Never accept the first offer made.....RMT are perfectly entitled to reject this.

winks

Makes you wonder how it takes 5 months to discuss a simple no strings 3.5% offer to staff. What the hell have they been doing?

Royal351

So this what the pay claim in full was asking for, for a one year pay deal and allegedly no strings attached

Length of the Offer: Network Rail offered a 1-year deal.
· Pay: Network Rail offered a 3.5% pay increase, saying it would be a real-term increase based on average expected inflation of 2.1-3.1% for the year ahead. It has always been the case that pay offers have been based on RPI for November of the previous year. RPI was 5.3% in November 2023. The RMT rejected this on the basis that using forecast inflation rather than the November RPI figure for negotiations is wrong.
· Minimum Uplift: The company rejected our claim for a minimum uplift.
· Bands 5-8 Pay Cap: Network Rail had previously committed to removing the cap on Bands 5-8 salaries but have removed this from their offer.
· No Compulsory Redundancies: Network Rail rejected our claim to extend the current No Compulsory Redundancy offer that is due to end on 31st January 2025
· Family Friendly Policies: Network Rail accepted our claim for an improved premature baby policy and has proposed an increase of 1-day extra leave for parents of premature babies. They have indicated they are open to discussing other family-friendly policies separately.
· Expenses: Network Rail proposed a common expenses policy with this being the current Network Rail policy with no proposed increase to any of the amounts.
· PDTA and Mileage Payments: Network Rail proposed harmonising the amounts rather than increasing them, as per the RMT claim, although they were not prepared to deal with this as part of the pay talks.
· Reduction in the Working Week: Network Rail rejected the RMT requests regarding a reduced work week although said that they would meet separately to the pay deal to discuss those who have contracts greater than 35 hours.
· Bands 5-8 Contracts: A working group will continue but will be dealt with outside of the pay talks. In the initial discussions, Network Rail offered the removal of performance-related pay for Bands 5-8 for the duration of the pay offer only to withdraw this in their pay offer.
· Travel Facilities: Network Rail rejected an improvement in the current travel facilities.
· Bonus Scheme: Network Rail rejected our claim to scrap the bonus scheme.
· London and South East Allowance: Network Rail rejected our claim for an increase in London and South East allowances as they thought that these were already fair.
· Annual Leave Increase: Network Rail rejected our claim for improvements to annual leave but proposed instead the ability to sell, buy, and bank annual leave.
· Grade 10 Signaller and Grade 11 Supervisor: Network Rail rejected our claim to raise the grading structure to Grade 10 for Signallers and Grade 11 for Supervisors. They said that they would continue discussions in the job evaluation forum. The job evaluation forum exists to regrade existing roles. This forum cannot renegotiate the grading structure.
· Pensions: Network Rail said that it would be unaffordable to improve pensions and rejected this.
· Managed Stations: A working group will continue at the National Operations Council but will be dealt with outside of the pay talks.
· Signaller General Purpose Relief Premium: Network Rail rejected our claim for an increase to the premium from 4% to 10%.
· Union Learning Representatives: Network Rail said that this is a mutual area of interest that they would like to discuss separately away from pay talks.
The offer has been formally rejected by your Union. I have written today to the company following the rejection of this offer seeking fresh negotiations and for the company to table an improved offer for your consideration.

Attachments

• IMG-20240418-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20240418-WA0001.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

winks

On staff travel there wasn’t much more Network Rail could offer… Leisure and Duty travel both already covered.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Is that within Network Rail's gift to offer? Honest question, I don't really know who regulates (for lack of a better word!) FIP and so who Network Rail would need to even speak to try an agree that?
I must confess to also being unsure but I’m pretty sure Adif staff get it in Spain so presumably the facility is there for a separate infrastructure based company’s staff to have it provided by whoever it is that does provide it

The Puddock

Is that within Network Rail's gift to offer? Honest question, I don't really know who regulates (for lack of a better word!) FIP and so who Network Rail would need to even speak to try an agree that?
FIP was promised as part of the last pay deal by Tim Shoveller before he ran away to Freightliner. It has never materialised (no surprises there).

I think the RMT is looking for parity with the TOC leisure card, which allows prive rate tickets to be bought at the ticker office or on board.

james_the_xv

I think the RMT is looking for parity with the TOC leisure card, which allows prive rate tickets to be bought at the ticker office or on board.
While it's stupid politics that NRs Priv does not allow this in the first place, I've never met a Guard/TM who would have refused to sell me a priv rate ticket for my 'online only' card. I'm sure there are the odd ones out there, but the general rail staff camaraderie does seem to be at play.

I've experienced a WMT senior conductor who was training turn round to the trainee and say to them it's not different to a normal priv and just politics at play. While I hope that we do get parity I'd hate to see it used as leverage in a pay dispute, given there's no reason why we should have different priv T&Cs...