• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Salary Expectations - Signalling Maintenance

jwal90

I've just applied for the role of "Operative - Signalling Maintenance" and wondering if anyone can give me an idea of annual earnings?

The job is advertised at £34k but I've seen lots of people talk about boosting earnings with overtime, some claiming you could double the quoted salary.

I was also considering applying for a signaller role but off with the potential of working long hours on my own. Been working from home for the past year and not a fan.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1Q18

I've just applied for the role of "Operative - Signalling Maintenance" and wondering if anyone can give me an idea of annual earnings?

The job is advertised at £34k but I've seen lots of people talk about boosting earnings with overtime, some claiming you could double the quoted salary.

I was also considering applying for a signaller role but off with the potential of working long hours on my own. Been working from home for the past year and not a fan.
I think it would be hard to give a clear idea - certainly there would be overtime to some extent, but that extent varies by depot. There’s also the chance of higher-grade pay when covering for higher grades such as technician or team leader, but again that’s very much down to local requirements. Maintenance terms and conditions differ across the country as well which means different overtime rates in different areas.

LCC106

Established Member
I would say if the base salary isn’t enough for your lifestyle and standard of living, aim for something that is enough. It can be dangerous to rely on overtime when it is never guaranteed.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I would say if the base salary isn’t enough for your lifestyle and standard of living, aim for something that is enough. It can be dangerous to rely on overtime when it is never guaranteed.

Indeed. What is more likely though is certain roles might have allowances for nights / Sundays / London etc. which are on top of the advertised "base" salary and are guaranteed.