• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sandown to London - Advance tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackS

Hi all,

I'm looking to make a journey from Sandown (Isle of Wight) to Waterloo on 1st March, but between getting the ferry over and then getting the train to London, I'm hoping to spend a few hours in Portsmouth with a friend. My query (as I'm still not clear on the matter after checking the SWR or Wightlink sites) is that if I purchase an Advance ticket, is it only the specific Havant* to London train that I have to catch, or do I need to stick to the entire itinerary shown when booking? I would assume the former as that's the only part of the journey actually printed on the ticket, but I want to double check.

I'd rather be able to book the entire trip on one through ticket as (once the railcard discount is applied) it looks a lot cheaper than having to purchase the ferry separately.

*engineering works mean that trains are starting from Havant rather than Portsmouth on this day

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Technically you are not supposed to break your journey on an Advance ticket, so if you want an official answer, then no you are not supposed to spend a few hours in Portsmouth unless you buy a flexible fare or a combination of tickets.

JackS

Thanks for the reply. Do you think it's something that Wightlink would question if I try and catch a ferry a few hours before my train is due to leave Havant?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks for the reply. Do you think it's something that Wightlink would question if I try and catch a ferry a few hours before my train is due to leave Havant?
Probably not, and if there was a weather warning then definitely not.

Status
Not open for further replies.