• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish diesels in the 1980s Scotrail era.

D6130

Established Member
That sounds epic, can you remember what traction you got?
If you had a 29 from Glasgow to Fort William and back, or Fort William to Mallaig and back - or even both - I shall be very, very envious! Despite several of them passing my house every day except Sundays, I only ever managed to get one of them for haulage, as they were withdrawn just before I was old enough to start travelling without a parent or guardian.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadrian

I confess that I was more interested in the meals and the scenery than the traction. On the West Highland at that time there were type 2s (I assume class 26 or 27 - I think I only bumped into class 25s several years later when I went to work at Willesden).

On another day in the same railroving fortnight I saw two type 2s lying on their sides beside the line in to middle of nowhere between Crianlarich and Oban.

Iskra

Established Member
I confess that I was more interested in the meals and the scenery than the traction. On the West Highland at that time there were type 2s (I assume class 26 or 27 - I think I only bumped into class 25s several years later when I went to work at Willesden).

On another day in the same railroving fortnight I saw two type 2s lying on their sides beside the line in to middle of nowhere between Crianlarich and Oban.
Ah fair enough, each to their own and it does sound enjoyable all the same. I was wondering whether you'd had a Deltic up the ECML, but I guess a 47 is more likely.

Hadrian

Sorry, I have no idea what the traction hauling us one of Kings Cross was - probably more focussed on dinner!

On another day in the same fortnight I took the early morning High Speed (train destination Leeds) from Kings Cross to Wakefield which was Deltic hauled and then back on the Yorkshire Pullman with a class 47 (Metrocam pullman vehicles). With breakfast outwards and lunch on the way back.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ve found quite a few photos of class 25s at Mallaig in the BR blue era whilst looking today:

I must admit that I didn’t realise until @Iskra said this:
I’ve also seen pictures of class 25’s at Mallaig.
that class 25s even worked out that way. There’s a couple of photo of a 25 at Mallaig on the site below showing it with a pretty hefty train considering how steep the route is! About 10 photos down the page:

Iskra

Established Member
Consulting my copy of The West Highland Lines; Post Beeching the following oddities come up in and around the @Cowley 's time frame.

Class 31 first trialled in 1958 as far as Mallaig, and then also used again in the 2000's in Fragonset Livery for WCRC
Classes 08 and Class 25 as already mentioned
Class 55021 in 1981 to Oban (and then other Class 55's to Fort William in the 2000's)
Classes 101 and 120's to Oban until the mid 1970's.
Class 104 in Mexican Bean Livery from the mid 1980's onwards doing Crianlarich-Oban. It was transported to and From Eastfield depot on regular locomotive hauled passenger trains.
Class 122 was used for Departmental Sandite workings
Prototype units 210001 and 150001.

Since the privatisation era many more classes have made it to Fort Willim, including classes: 40, 50, 47, 57, 31, 33, 55, 56, 20, 26, 37, 325, 66, 67, 121 and 73/9.

D6130

Established Member
I’ve found quite a few photos of class 25s at Mallaig in the BR blue era whilst looking today:
Back in the day, the Scottish Region regarded class 25s and 27s as a common-user pool, provide that - if double-heading - both locos had the requisite braking and train heating systems. The same applied to the slightly lower-powered 24s and 26s....although they were originally used mainly on the routes radiating from Inverness and the Waverley Route to Carlisle, whereas the 25s and 27s were mainly used on the routes from Glasgow to the West Highlands, with the 27s being more common due to their greater numbers from about 1970 onwards. The maximum permitted load for a single 25 or 27 North of Craigendoran was 8 vehicles....although I travelled on a 9 coach day excursion from Dumbarton Central to Fort William with a single 27 in May 1973, with the predictable result on a damp morning that we took nearly an hour to climb the two mile 1 in 58 gradient from Craigendoran Junction to Helensburgh Upper, including two reversals and fresh attempts! Luckily the Fort depot was able to provide a second loco for the return journey. In the photo, the 25 awaiting departure from Mallaig appears to have eight carriages in tow - which seems to be a heavy load - but bear in mind the fact that, regardless of the gradients, the maximimum permitted speed as far as Glenfinnan was only 30 mph....and then 40 on the downhill or level stretch from there to the Fort.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Back in the day, the Scottish Region regarded class 25s and 27s as a common-user pool, provide that - if double-heading - both locos had the requisite braking and train heating systems. The same applied to the slightly lower-powered 24s and 26s....although they were originally used mainly on the routes radiating from Inverness and the Waverley Route to Carlisle, whereas the 25s and 27s were mainly used on the routes from Glasgow to the West Highlands, with the 27s being more common due to their greater numbers from about 1970 onwards. The maximum permitted load for a single 25 or 27 North of Craigendoran was 8 vehicles....although I travelled on a 9 coach day excursion from Dumbarton Central to Fort William with a single 27 in May 1973, with the predictable result on a damp morning that we took nearly an hour to climb the two mile 1 in 58 gradient from Craigendoran Junction to Helensburgh Upper, including two reversals and fresh attempts! Luckily the Fort depot was able to provide a second loco for the return journey. In the photo, the 25 awaiting departure from Mallaig appears to have eight carriages in tow - which seems to be a heavy load - but bear in mind the fact that, regardless of the gradients, the maximimum permitted speed as far as Glenfinnan was only 30 mph....and then 40 on the downhill or level stretch from there to the Fort.

Interesting stuff. That actually leads me onto a different question…

Obviously some of the 27s were tired out after their Glasgow - Edinburgh shenanigans but there was still quite a fleet of other available 27s to choose from, so why did the lower powered and slightly older class 26s end up outlasting the 27s by a good few years?
Did the 26s have better electrical equipment maybe?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
....all the way to Glasgow - not to Kings Cross (as the London Terminus was then). IIRC, the London seating coach - then a BCK - also only worked to/from Fort William and was detached/attached there with the sleepers.
Yes, to Glasgow QS not King's X.

Obviously some of the 27s were tired out after their Glasgow - Edinburgh shenanigans but there was still quite a fleet of other available 27s to choose from, so why did the lower powered and slightly older class 26s end up outlasting the 27s by a good few years?
Yes, the 26s were basically more reliable.

Taunton

Established Member
In the photo, the 25 awaiting departure from Mallaig appears to have eight carriages in tow - which seems to be a heavy load-
I never saw anything other than a 27 on the West Highland in the 1970s. The 25 in the picture at Mallaig also appears to be in ex-works condition. Eastfield was not known for immaculate presentation, so I wonder if it was some special event. It was apparently common that for a St Rollox works trial, a loco would be attached to the morning train from Queen Street, double-heading it as far as Crianlarich where it was detached.

For the stock on the line. the day coaches as on other Scottish internal services were Scottish Region Mk1, which I believe never usually worked outside the region. The sleepers to London were all Eastern Region allocated stock, even though there was a substantial depot for them at Edinburgh Craigentinny, and the overnight seated stock seemed the same. There was a small allocation of Scottish sleepers, which were wholly used on the internal overnight trains from Glasgow/Edinburgh to Inverness.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
The RB on the 06.00 from Queen St worked through to Mallaig and back to Queen St (13.00 winter/14.05 summer from Mallaig, 16.15 from FW) although in the summer the sleepers were on the later train from Fort William (17.25) which was the return working of the RU from the summer extra (detached Fort Wlliam outward whilst the return train started Fort William).
In the late 70s the provision was reduced to buffet only although the RB remained in the circuit for a while (before being replaced by RMB) but in winter returning from Mallaig it now stabled at Fort Willam before going back to Glasgow as the onward train south had been retimed to various times around 18.20.
The summer RU was replaced initially by a Thompson buffet then RMB.

The morning up and evening down attached/detached RMB at Fort William (although I think in much earlier years this also had been a restaurant car) with a buffet steward based in FW although days off were covered by a Glasgow steward who lodged.

In due course the RMBs were replaced by the dreadful BSOTs and then catering was reduced to out and back crewing from Glasgow swapping from one BSOT to the other (and picking up fresh urns of hot water which gradually lost heat on the journey) at the traincrew changeover point.

The morning Glasgow to Oban and midday return also had RMB until the catering offering went into decline (and a staffed buffet on the summer only DMU).

I never saw anything other than a 27 on the West Highland in the 1970s. The 25 in the picture at Mallaig also appears to be in ex-works condition. Eastfield was not known for immaculate presentation, so I wonder if it was some special event.
Cl 25s were not uncommon on the West Highland but as I recall fairly rare in Mallaig.

The maximum permitted load for a single 25 or 27 North of Craigendoran was 8 vehicles...
The 06.00 from Queen St also conveyed a CCT and was accordingly timed for 315 instead of 280t to take account of both the heavier weight of the sleepers and the weight of the CCT.

And in the Kings Cross era the summer Sats 17.25 from FW was double headed load 12 - reduced to 11 in early Euston years and then summer weekend strengthening of sleepers ended.

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
My 1986 Platform 5 lists the following at Inverness:

Standard 27s
27003 - boiler
27025 - no heat
27026 - no heat
27042 - no heat

Ex-push pull 27s
27047 - boiler
27048 - boiler
27049 - boiler
27050 - boiler
27064 - no heat
27065 - no heat

27047-50 were ex 27/1 with boilers
27064 & 65 were ex 27/2 with the Deutz ETH generators
Out of that bunch of Lawnmowers I had 25, 42 and 49 for haulage on a Freedom of Scotland in 1986. All of them in the Central Belt, rather than in or out of Inverness. Indeed, the only 27 I had in that part of Scotland was 27007 paired with 26030 on an Aberdeen - Inverness turn back in 1983. Happy days.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
In the photo, the 25 awaiting departure from Mallaig appears to have eight carriages in tow - which seems to be a heavy load
Assuming I am looking at the same photos I only see six (six was the normal summer loading and the photographer's notes indicate he is on a service train) the RMB is second from rear in both photos and bear in mind having arrived on the blocks the train had to push back to run round then push back to the blocks before departure. By then the runround at Mallaig had been reduced to six coaches so anything longer would require more complicated shunts to run round.

And in the Kings Cross era the summer Sats 17.25 from FW was double headed load 12 - reduced to 11 in early Euston years and then summer weekend strengthening of sleepers ended.
I often wondered how the Euston fared on 12th August 1978 having gone forward from Corrour with a single 27 and load eleven after both 27s had failed on the climb up to Corrour - it became apparent one loco was effectively only able to move itself meaning the other was overworked and eventually went on fire.

The loco off the 16.38 down came to the rescue, the 'fire' 27 was dumped in the siding and the dud 27 waited at Corrour on the 16.38 for assistance to arrive from Fort William in the shape of a class 25, departing 78 late.

I always assumed the onward 27, going forward circa 100min late would just about cope with 11, as the load (402t trailing) was a bit less than the maximum Freight Train Load for the line albeit speed on the climbs to County March and Glen Douglas would have been probably well below 20mph.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Out of that bunch of Lawnmowers I had 25, 42 and 49 for haulage on a Freedom of Scotland in 1986. All of them in the Central Belt, rather than in or out of Inverness. Indeed, the only 27 I had in that part of Scotland was 27007 paired with 26030 on an Aberdeen - Inverness turn back in 1983. Happy days.
I can't recall which locos, but a few times in 1985 and possibly in '86 (maybe in earlier years as well but it would have been ever more unusual by then), a pair of 27s did an Inverness-Edinburgh turn vice 47/4.

That would have been a good run, as well as the various climbs there also some good fast sections.

david1212

Established Member

... Yes, the 26s were basically more reliable.

Too late to search now but this was discussed in the past and while the 26 is lower maximum power for the West Highland line speeds they had better torque / power.

EDIT:-

Here is one post on this topic.

Last edited:

delt1c

Established Member
Used the 06.00 from Queen St to Mallaig a few times in the 70’s having breakfast and have to say it was the finest breakfast I ever had on BR.
Also the 08.35 Queen St to Oban could provide some interesting haulage from Queen St to crianlarich as this was often used as test run for overhauled locos from St Rollox. The train departed Queen st as normal then the ex works loco was added at Eastfield. Have had a 24/0, 26/1 attached which always gave a good run

Blindtraveler

Established Member
My parents honeymoon photos which are not specifically train related but more designed to capture a bit of what they did feature A27 in platform 7 North at Aberdeen with sadly no number visible but Highland rail motif fully in place. This locomotive was at the head of what we'll have probably been the 07 tiddly pom Aberdeen Inverness local working, they had come on the sleeper from king's cross but for whatever reason had not been able to book through to Inverness forcing a very cold chilli change in the granite city with 2 bicycles. The rest of their time I'm was dominated by the look of it by 37 and and a 47 which as all good 47 do, failed on the sleeper on the way home

Year 1980

Iskra

Established Member
A further question if I may.

Why were Mk2 and Mk1 coaches deployed in such a random fashion at the time on these lines? In the current day of fixed formations and the quest for standardisation and compatibility, this looks a bit odd. Were they just deemed interchangeable, were there not enough of one type or the other? I can understand MK1 buffet/restaurant vehicles being used in otherwise Mk2/3 formations but some of the coach formations seem a bit odd. Was there any logic to this?

Hadrian

If I remember correctly, there was a significant correlation between the arrival of air braked coaches and the need for relatively fixed formations. While the earlier builds of Mark 2 were vacuum braked there was no great need to assemble sets exclusively containing Mark 2 vehicles. The deliveries of Mark 2 vehicles were often of dfferent types (TSO, FO, FK etc) at different times so they were put into service with existing Mark 1 vehicles to make up the formations needed. Compositite and part brake vehicles were almost always Mark I during that period. Of course all catering vehicles were Mark 1 until conversion of some Mark 2 vehicles to have tiny buffets and the eventual building of Mark 3 catering vehicles.

I expect the question of steam and/or electric heating also had an influence on composition of sets.

Highland Scotland had a higher proportion of loco hauled sets than much of the rest of Great Britain (where DMUs were in widespread use). Many of the sets serving the Scottish highlands were relatively short and had limited first class - hence plenty of composite vehicles. Portioned trains also stoked the need for short sets.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
The arrival of the Mk3 sleepers introduced air braked passenger trains to the West Highland, so Euston sent Mk2s with the sleepers, but ScR did not have any air braked Mk2s and used dual brake Mk1s for the Glasgow section of that train - which then had vacuum braked coaches added at Fort William (in summer) for the run to Mallaig hence the need for DB stock.

Mk2s had previously arrived in a cascade of vacuum brake BFKs displaced by newer stock on the InterCity routes, but other VB Mk2s cascaded at the same time initially found use on the Scottish intercity routes to Aberdeen and Inverness (which used FKs not BFKs) meaning the Mk2 BFKs ran with Mk1 second class stock plus the very occasional Mk2 second on the West Highland.

Last edited:

Magdalia

Established Member
I think the boiler water capacity was also tight for 16 hours of intense running 7am to 11pm.
The boiler water tank on a class 27 was only 450 gallons. I think that's nowhere near enough for all day running. That would require heating the whole train with only 30 gallons of water per hour!

By way of comparison, a class 31 had a 600 gallons boiler water tank which was not big enough to do Norwich-Birmingham and back without a refill.

Was there facility to replenish boiler water tanks in the platform at Queen Street and/or Waverley?

Last edited:

delt1c

Established Member
The boiler water tank on a class 27 was only 450 gallons. I think that's nowhere near enough for all day running. That would require heating the whole train with only 30 gallons of water per hour!

By way pf comparison, a class 31 had a 600 gallons boiler water tank which was not big enough to do Norwich-Birmingham and back without a refill.

Was there facility to replenish boiler water tanks in the platform at Queen Street and/or Waverley?
On the West Highland line the 27’s replenished water tanks at Crianlarich

Taunton

Established Member
A further question if I may.

Why were Mk2 and Mk1 coaches deployed in such a random fashion at the time on these lines? In the current day of fixed formations and the quest for standardisation and compatibility, this looks a bit odd. Were they just deemed interchangeable, were there not enough of one type or the other? I can understand MK1 buffet/restaurant vehicles being used in otherwise Mk2/3 formations but some of the coach formations seem a bit odd. Was there any logic to this?
Well, it was done differently then, each major coach yard had its own shunter (in Scotland often the less-common Class 06) to rearrange things. Even the first supposedly fixed formation sets in Scotland, the Edinburgh-Glasgow push-pulls, would get shunted around overnight, and occasionally turned up with only five coaches.

For Mk 2 stock, the first few years' build were vacuum braked, and just used mixed with their Mk1 predecessors. In the normal way, no new Mk 2/3 vehicles were allocated to Scotland (subject to correction here), and they arrived secondhand from 'down south' as they were in turn displaced there. Those Edinburgh-Glasgow push-pulls were original Mk 2 vacuum stock from the LMR, but were rebuilt at St Rollox works to air braking for the performance required, and thus kept to their own work. I've written before of some spectacular stops with these trains. Dual heating of stock was long common and straightforward, but dual braking is difficult, arranging for separate brake rigging and two sets of brake cylinders etc. A small number were done, but not many. Notably a Mk 1 BCK, ie one of everything, first, second and van, and dual braked as well (it may have been unique in this respect, and was possibly another St Rollox custom conversion) was kept in a siding - actually I think inside the old loco shed there alongside the station - at Carstairs in case any train, of any type, required a substitute vehicle.

The main reason "loose" hauled formations remained was the high proportion of mails/parcels/news traffic in vans, which worked to separate diagrams and ran through from one train to another. I believe some Far North trains could be 50% vans at certain times.

matchmaker

Established Member
Well, it was done differently then, each major coach yard had its own shunter (in Scotland often the less-common Class 06) to rearrange things. Even the first supposedly fixed formation sets in Scotland, the Edinburgh-Glasgow push-pulls, would get shunted around overnight, and occasionally turned up with only five coaches.

For Mk 2 stock, the first few years' build were vacuum braked, and just used mixed with their Mk1 predecessors. In the normal way, no new Mk 2/3 vehicles were allocated to Scotland (subject to correction here), and they arrived secondhand from 'down south' as they were in turn displaced there. Those Edinburgh-Glasgow push-pulls were original Mk 2 vacuum stock from the LMR, but were rebuilt at St Rollox works to air braking for the performance required, and thus kept to their own work. I've written before of some spectacular stops with these trains. Dual heating of stock was long common and straightforward, but dual braking is difficult, arranging for separate brake rigging and two sets of brake cylinders etc. A small number were done, but not many. Notably a Mk 1 BCK, ie one of everything, first, second and van, and dual braked as well (it may have been unique in this respect, and was possibly another St Rollox custom conversion) was kept in a siding - actually I think inside the old loco shed there alongside the station - at Carstairs in case any train, of any type, required a substitute vehicle.

The main reason "loose" hauled formations remained was the high proportion of mails/parcels/news traffic in vans, which worked to separate diagrams and ran through from one train to another. I believe some Far North trains could be 50% vans at certain times.
I have heard that while Mk 1s can be dual braked, Mk 2s can only be vacuum or air. Not sure if this is correct.

delt1c

Established Member
It was more sophisticated than a hosepipe. I don't know the correct name for it but at each platform end there as a structure with a thick pipe and a proper connection to fit the boiler water tank filler.
Dont know the correct name for it but it was a rubber pipe which they connected to the water tank

Magdalia

Established Member
It was more sophisticated than a hosepipe.
There were 3 parts.

A standpipe coming out of the platform with a tap to turn the water on and off.
A hosepipe, fitted to the standpipe, but with bigger diameter and thicker walls than what would be used in a domestic garden, more like a hosepipe used by firefighters.
A connector on the end of the hosepipe that could be attached to the locomotive's water tank filler.

The hosepipe was probably attached to the standpipe and the connector with big jubilee clips, that would need to be strong enough to withstand the water pressure.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Referring again to the set of photos in post 35 'The West Highland Line before the Sprinters'

The pipe was located within the structure visible just beyond the up platform end in the photo described as 'Awaiting our turn to proceed south a northbound freight of oil tankers arrives at Crianlarich. July 1980'. There was a similar structure just off the down platform at the north end.

The up direction one is also visible (with the 'hose' hanging from it) in front of the leading coach of the down train on the attached photo from 'Diesels on the Regions -'Scottish Region' by Tom Noble

EDIT: Earlier steam era photographs show a water column in the exact position of the up direction watering facility, and it is therefore reasonable to assume the steam era water supply remained in use to provide boiler water for diesels and probably the same at the other end for down trains.

Attachments

• Crianlarich.jpg
    Crianlarich.jpg
    745.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited: