• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Short-term Pre-paid Mobile Phone SIM cards for UK Visitors

Springs Branch

Established Member
I'm planning a trip to the UK for a month during May. I'm looking to buy a SIM card for my smartphone for the duration to get a UK mobile number & avoid high roaming charges from my Aussie provider for use in the UK.

A Google search throws up a plethora of options - some order on-line & deliver a SIM within the UK, others where I can buy a card in Australia before leaving home. These come with a wide variety of prices, options, data allowances etc. There's obviously a big market for "Travel SIMs" these days, and no doubt some canny operators will have spotted an opportunity to fleece mug punter tourists.

Before ploughing through all the fine print, I wondered if anyone else who visited the UK recently has experiences or recommendations regarding the current market for Travel SIMs?

I'm also interested if the UK government has imposed any nuisance identity requirements when getting a 'burner' SIM (i.e. attempting to combat drug dealers, terrorism and all that)? On previous visits pre-COVID, I've popped into the nearest Orange or EE shop and they always fixed me up with minimum fuss & reasonable cost - is this still an option? Are there still retail shopfronts for mobile providers?

My requirements are:-
  • A pre-paid SIM card & UK mobile number which will last for ~30 days.
  • I won't need to extend or recharge beyond this, so want to make a one-off payment and to avoid possibility of any recurring charges from the provider.
  • I don't want the hassle of setting up a full-on account with a UK provider - beyond providing basic info such as my e-mail & postal address.
  • I have a UK address for postal delivery, but my name won't be associated with this address during any identity or credit checks.
  • SIM will be used for occasional UK calls & texts, but mainly for 4G data whilst out and about - blagging platform assignments at Euston, checking for Northern's latest cancellations, consulting Google Maps and checking 'where's that bloody bus got to?'.
  • I'll be using Wi-fi whilst back at base for most data-hungry purposes.
  • I won't be out in the wilds, so hopefully any network's coverage should be adequate.
I'd be interested in any easy-to-use suggestions - or anyone to avoid.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
I'd recommend GiffGaff, but it's potentially challenging to find a physical store selling their SIM cards, I think Morrisons carry them.

But as a provider, they don't do any attempts to lock you in, other than providing some loyalty discounts.

FYI. I would very much not recommend using public WiFi, at all, there's too many dodgy people, companies and providers around at the moment. And with the relatively low cost of high enough data plans, I wouldn't even consider it even when I'm roaming abroad.

Edit:
List of stores from their website.

Tesco
Sainsbury’s Local
Sainsbury’s Supermarkets
One Below
McColls
Morrisons
ASDA
Co-Op
Home Bargains
B&M Stores
Poundstretcher
Poundland
WHS Travel
WHS High St
Iceland
Wilko (RIP!)

Willie Bee

Doesn't Lebara offer good value too .. I often hear about them having great offers on a month by month contract basis

Buzby

If your phone has an eSIM capability there are several firms that will provide this option too, which I use in the opposite direction when I’m travelling to avoid the high roaming charges levied by local networks - and no need to find little bits of plastic to slot Ju to it!

TinTin56

There are no ID requirements for getting a PAYG sim in the UK.

This is a useful site, with lots of information on best deals.

Mcv378

Screenshot_2024-03-25-09-08-25-932_com.android.chrome.jpg

Another vote for GiffGaff, 80gb for £20

Sim cards can be found at Supermarkets such as Tesco and Sainsbury's and discount stores such as Poundland

KT550

ASDA Mobile offer a range of 30 day deals starting at £5 for 3GB with unlimited UK calls and text, up to £20 for unlimited data.

You'll need to set up an account on the internet to buy the plan. Make sure to untick the auto renew box.
They will send a new SIM to a UK address.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds like I can get what I need for around £20 for the month, easily and with minimal risks.

GiffGaff sounds like a front runner.

I actually tried entering a dummy order for a free SIM from GiffGaff using a randomly dreamed-up postcode as my UK address. Their on-line ordering system has a very sensitive hair trigger, as the order actually went through accidentally. So, some bemused resident in Kings Lynn (or elsewhere in the PE30 Postcode Area) will have had an unexpected GiffGaff SIM card dropping through their letterbox addressed to a Mr. D. Duck at e-mail [email protected]. Hope it's not an old lady who loses sleep thinking it's part of some scam - but it was an accident, honest!

Doesn't Lebara offer good value too .. I often hear about them having great offers on a month by month contract basis
I noticed a few Tripadvisor reviews cautioning about using Lebara in circumstances like mine. Seems they only accept payments via UK-issued credit/debit cards, which is a bit of a non-starter for most foreign visitors and sounds all very '1990s'

mike57

Established Member
The only other thing to consider is coverage. If you staying in cities and even small/medium sized towns any network will given reasonable coverage in most cases, however if you plan on spending time in rural areas, particularly in the more hilly parts then coverage can be patchy, so it might be worth checking coverage maps, they are not foolproof but do give an idea. There are four service providers, who provide the infrastructure, O2, Vodaphone, EE and 3, all the others piggy back on one of them. For example I think Giff Gaff uses the O2 network.

Springs Branch

Established Member
The only other thing to consider is coverage.
That's a good call. Mostly I'll have good coverage with all networks during my trip, but there are a couple of places I'll be visiting in rural Lancashire and North Wales which seem to have very poor / nil coverage on O2 (= GiffGaff) and Vodafone (ASDA Mobile - my other option), but adequate outdoor coverage with Three. Assuming you can believe the maps the mobile providers publish, of course.

So, everything else being equal, I might investigate a provider which uses the Three network.

mike57

Established Member
Three network.
You can walk into any Three shop (there seems to be one in most major shopping areas) and buy a pay and go SIM, top it up, put it in your phone and be ready to go. Certainly in our local shop staff are helpful and will assist if you have problems.

I have a dual SIM phone, and have O2 and Three SIMs.This is a hang over from the days when I used to travel a lot for work. Personal experience is 3 seem to have better reach in the rural areas, but at the expense of slower data rates. Town/City coverage is comparable. This is based on travel across the north of England from coast to coast and occasional trips southwards, I have no experience of North Wales. Where coverage is patchy even moving a few hundred yards can make a big difference.

Nym

Established Member
Just be ready if you go into a mobile phone shop for them to be completely disinterested unless they can sign you up for a commission heavy contract.