• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should Southern On Board Supervisors (OBS) be abolished?

bramling

Veteran Member
I am aware that Merseyrail and Southern second person roles are different, I was arguing that Merseyrail was a better compromise between a traditional guard and dispatch and DOO without a second person. Guards can do customer service but when there are frequent stops that aspect of the role is automatically limited. Merseyrail has far too many stops for a traditional guard to do much ticket checking. Merseyrail's new role is safety critical without having dispatch risk. They are only signalling to the driver that they are onboard the train. The 777s are not allowed to be used in passenger service without them.

Its very strange that there appears to be a group that only wants a second person onboard if they have dispatch risk. If the next government decided to introduce OBS on more DOO services wouldn't that be an improvement for passengers?

On the latter point, not necessarily. For many passengers used to DOO a second person on the train is irrelevant except in the highly unlikely event of an extreme emergency. Secondly would people be prepared to pay extra for it? Like many things, I suspect it would be a case of people being happy to see other people’s money pay for it, not their own.

I’m not saying I’m necessarily a fan of DOO, however it’s hard to argue that some of the already-extant schemes tend to work reasonably well without issues. GN suburban is a good example of that. However these areas tend to have characteristics which lend themselves to it being a decent method of working, which don’t necessarily apply everywhere. Features like frequent stops, plenty of staff around (it’s actually quite rare to be on a Thameslink service on the GN side that *doesn’t* have some kind of additional staff presence on it, albeit normally people travelling “pass” or to/from work).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Krokodil

Established Member
Which I’m not convinced most people are particularly bothered about. Whether they *should* be is, of course, another matter.
The government certainly doesn't care. Ministers who do ask such awkward questions in the DfT get quickly reshuffled. There are a lot of inaccessible stations up and down the country, and the DfT knows how expensive it would be to rebuild them. It takes legal action by campaign groups to get the issue recognised.

GordonT

In Scotland rather than DOO there are services covered by the "Strathclyde Manning Agreement" which have a "TE" (Ticket Examiner) as the on board member of staff. The job title has the virtue of defining the role quite specifically.

Meerkat

Established Member
Because it’s inevitably going to be less rewarding; there’s basically no need to do anything other than sit in the back cab,
Their job is to NOT just be sat in the back cab - that’s guard history coming through.
On the contrary, up until GTR guards converted to OBS, their skills were in constant use as they dispatched trains at the majority of stations!
Ah so you are comparing OBS + DOO to guards doing the doors. That’s a different debate and I am never going to agree with that as I am on SWR where the ceremony of the doors takes AGES (not helped by Siemens tortoise doors)
passengers such as myself who value a second person aboard
I value a second person, I would prefer DOO was upgraded to DCO, but I want that second person patrolling the train and helping passengers, not hiding in a cab (or their office on SWR) nor restricted by having to do the doors job the driver can do. I’m not fussed the job title of the second person….at some places and times ‘bouncer’ would probably be the most appropriate!

alf

On Moderation
In Scotland rather than DOO there are services covered by the "Strathclyde Manning Agreement" which have a "TE" (Ticket Examiner) as the on board member of staff. The job title has the virtue of defining the role quite specifically.
They can run DOO since the manning agreement came in years & years ago.
If a TE is not available or not aboard the train will run.
Certainly as little time ago as 2020 the driver had no means of knowing if a TE, Ticket Examiner, was aboard or how to find out.

Facing Back

Their job is to NOT just be sat in the back cab..

I value a second person, I would prefer DOO was upgraded to DCO, but I want that second person patrolling the train and helping passengers, not hiding in a cab (or their office on SWR) nor restricted by having to do the doors job the driver can do. I’m not fussed the job title of the second person….at some places and times ‘bouncer’ would probably be the most appropriate!
This nicely summarises my opinion as a passenger. The only thing I'd add is that I'd want to train to still run if the second person is not available.

Established Member
Merseyrail has far too many stops for a traditional guard to do much ticket checking. Merseyrail's new role is safety critical without having dispatch risk. They are only signalling to the driver that they are onboard the train. The 777s are not allowed to be used in passenger service without them.

Agreed re. the first sentence, but that isn’t the case on outer Southern routes (are you familiar with them?). The inner Southern routes have been fully DOO for years and don’t carry OBS.

Its very strange that there appears to be a group that only wants a second person onboard if they have dispatch risk.

Nobody has said they only want a second person if they take dispatch risk, as far as I can tell?

As a passenger I would rather have a second person aboard than not, but I want that second person to do something meaningful. Based on my experience, and claims in this thread, it appears that the GTR OBS is providing less value than guards at similar operations such as SE mainline, for example. No great surprise - that’s what the role was intended to achieve, to facilitate ultimate removal.

If the next government decided to introduce OBS on more DOO services wouldn't that be an improvement for passengers?

Well, if that happens (it won’t), we can discuss it. Here’s a question: why do you think GTR didn’t do this when their guards were downgraded (and why did the DfT engage in a protracted industrial dispute to downgrade the role?)

Could it be because the role wasn’t about improving customer service at all, and was merely about cost reduction?

I’m not saying I’m necessarily a fan of DOO, however it’s hard to argue that some of the already-extant schemes tend to work reasonably well without issues. GN suburban is a good example of that. However these areas tend to have characteristics which lend themselves to it being a decent method of working, which don’t necessarily apply everywhere. Features like frequent stops, plenty of staff around (it’s actually quite rare to be on a Thameslink service on the GN side that *doesn’t* have some kind of additional staff presence on it, albeit normally people travelling “pass” or to/from work).

There’s certainly a bit of what people are used to here, and I expect we’d all agree there’s zero chance of staff being added to DOO networks. I’d agree guards make less sense on intensive metro operations (ironically OBS would make more sense somewhere like Merseyrail or SWR metro, that are retaining guards).

Where the second person remains, the choice is likely to be between an active and involved guard, a less skilled, less useful OBS (who costs about the same), or nobody at all else aboard. As a passenger I’d rather the first option.

Their job is to NOT just be sat in the back cab - that’s guard history coming through.

How can it be “the guard history coming through” when it has been pointed out above that the majority of OBS are no longer ex guards?

Whether or not it’s their job, a % of people will do as little as can be got away with. The fact of the matter is that OBS can get away with doing a lot less than guards can.

Ah so you are comparing OBS + DOO to guards doing the doors. That’s a different debate and I am never going to agree with that as I am on SWR where the ceremony of the doors takes AGES (not helped by Siemens tortoise doors)

I was correcting your completely false statement that guards on the Southern only rarely used their knowledge.

The premise of the OP, and my own experience, is that GTR OBS appear to be doing less, and are less engaged than many guards; do you have experience of using GTR OBS v guarded services to contradict that?

It’s also not necessarily true that guarded operation is necessarily slower than DOO - I work guarded trains now where the guard can get the doors open quicker than I could as a DOO driver…

I value a second person, I would prefer DOO was upgraded to DCO, but I want that second person patrolling the train and helping passengers, not hiding in a cab (or their office on SWR) nor restricted by having to do the doors job the driver can do.

In that case, you’d be better off with a guard. OBS aren’t involved in operation of the train, and are better able to hide in the back cab than guards are. They aren’t guaranteed to be on every train, and can also be entirely removed more easily…

It’s odd that, in a thread calling for the abolition of the OBS role based on them not doing enough, certain people still try to argue that OBS is preferable to a guard from a passenger perspective (and the same people who can be seen on other threads calling for the railway to be defunded :) ).

Same question as above: are you seriously suggesting the DfT wanted GTR to downgrade the guard role because they thought it would improve things for passengers?

This nicely summarises my opinion as a passenger. The only thing I'd add is that I'd want to train to still run if the second person is not available.

The % of trains cancelled due to no guard (but still having a driver) is infinitesimal. In several years of guarded operation, I’ve had this happen less than half a dozen times.

As a passenger I’d rather take the risk of the occasional cancellation due to lack of a guard in exchange for having an additional safety critical, fully engaged member of staff aboard, rather than someone who is essentially another passenger, who hides in the back cab and occasionally plays around with the PA.

Last edited:

Meerkat

Established Member
It’s odd that, in a thread calling for the abolition of the OBS role based on them not doing enough, certain people still try to argue that OBS is preferable to a guard from a passenger perspective (and the same people who can be seen on other threads calling for the railway to be defunded :) ).

Same question as above: are you seriously suggesting the DfT wanted GTR to downgrade the guard role because they thought it would improve things for passengers?
An OBS is preferable, they just need to be managed better.
I'm sure the DfT would have preferred DOO, but I reckon they compromised because the passengers wanted a second person.

As a passenger I’d rather take the risk of the occasional cancellation due to lack of a guard in exchange for having an additional safety critical, fully engaged member of staff aboard, rather than someone who is essentially another passenger, who hides in the back cab and occasionally plays around with the PA.
That last point is many passengers experience of guards round here.

But I think we are just going to repeat ourselves now - I think we understand each other's view and may as well agree to disagree!

Established Member
An OBS is preferable, they just need to be managed better.

Anecdotal experience on this thread and elsewhere suggests it isn’t preferable for passengers who want an active and involved second member of staff, for all the reasons noted above. It’s not clear from your posts whether you have much experience of using Southern OBS staffed trains, nor that you have a good understanding of the guard role.

I'm sure the DfT would have preferred DOO, but I reckon they compromised because the passengers wanted a second person.

I must say this strikes me as a rather naive viewpoint. The DfT have no interest in what passengers want; they compromised because of the disabled access issue, and clearly intended to remove the grade entirely.

That last point is many passengers experience of guards round here.

Perhaps they just need to be managed better…

I think we understand each other's view and may as well agree to disagree!

Agreed.

Last edited:

devon_belle

Sorry for the late reply. On the subject of OBS being required between Dorking and Horsham, is this the reason that First class becomes (re-)classified in this section, when the rest of the route north of Dorking is de-classified?

Bikeman78

Established Member
Sorry for the late reply. On the subject of OBS being required between Dorking and Horsham, is this the reason that First class becomes (re-)classified in this section, when the rest of the route north of Dorking is de-classified?
Seriously? How is that enforced? For what it's worth, Realtime Trains says standard class only.

devon_belle

Seriously? How is that enforced? For what it's worth, Realtime Trains says standard class only.
I am aware that RTT says it, and there's no indication on the PIS, but I was (very politely) informed by an OBS that I shouldn't be in there for that part of the journey, but that he didn't mind. He said lack of PIS indication didn't matter, but I didn't mention RTT.

Funnily enough, I brought up the declassified First class seating during a ticket inspection with another OBS beforehand, who complained saying she thought that First class should be enforced. Looks like I wriggled out of a good telling off there!

I no longer sit in First class because it isn't worth moving because of the small chance of a penalty fare.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I am aware that RTT says it, and there's no indication on the PIS, but I was (very politely) informed by an OBS that I shouldn't be in there for that part of the journey, but that he didn't mind. He said lack of PIS indication didn't matter, but I didn't mention RTT.

Funnily enough, I brought up the declassified First class seating during a ticket inspection with another OBS beforehand, who complained saying she thought that First class should be enforced. Looks like I wriggled out of a good telling off there!

I no longer sit in First class because it isn't worth moving because of the small chance of a penalty fare.
It sounds to me like the OBS are making it up as they go along. Are there are other routes where first class exists for only part of the journey? In the 1990s and 2000s, anyone could use the first class compartments when slam door units turned up on the rush hour trains.

etr221

Are there actually any services (trains) where accommodation is actually scheduled to be reclassified en route? That sounds to be a route towards chaos...

Bikeman78

Established Member
Are there actually any services (trains) where accommodation is actually scheduled to be reclassified en route? That sounds to be a route towards chaos...
Diversions aside, Horsham to Dorking hasn't had first class for about 40 years. Until the 377s took over, most of the trains had no first class seats in them. All metro routes are worked by 377s now but, as fares I know, they are still advertised as standard class only.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I don't want this post to sound like a "why...why...why?" but who designed the OBS role - was it Southern/GTR management - or did the government just downgrade the guard's role to it? (i.e. just remove the safety-critical element etc.)

When the role was created/formed, I was under the impression that it would be temporary, but here we are 7-8 years later and the role lives on - at least until the end of the Southern franchise, unless it is extended. Why can't the OBS role be redesigned so that it carries more weight/respect/responsibility and be more motivational and engaging. Yes we have a government that doesn't care but surely there are senior managers within Southern/GTR that do care(?). We all know engaged employees make a better workforce so why not give them better recognition, proper training and more meaningful work? I get it that older ex-guards/RPIs would probably rather just do the time and see the job out until retirement but at least make it better for people entering the workforce; perhaps as a stepping stone to a higher grade. Lets hope the next government "care" (I won't hold my breath)

So no, I do not wish the OBS role to be abolished and have no second person on the train. But if the role is to survive, senior management need to take the role more seriously and make it more engaging. Do performance reviews (PDRs) exist on the railway coal face?

With the rise of e-tickets which I understand has led to a further decrease in on train sales, they should be redeployed as Passenger Hosts similar to the rest of GTR on most routes where a second person isnt operationally required. Put them into pairs or larger groups when neccesary, and have them enforcing the penalty fare scheme and cracking down on first class abuse.

The mobile assistance model rolled out by GTR seems to work well and will ensure that anybody needing special assistance is still able to turn up and go where there isn't staff on board that particular service.

Just had my ticket checked on board a Southern service (1H22) as we pulled into Haywards Heath by dedicated 'REVENUE PROTECTION' officers being followed around by a GTR rail enforcement officer. When did GTR bring back dedicated RPOs on board Southern services?

GordonT

Just had my ticket checked on board a Southern service (1H22) as we pulled into Haywards Heath by dedicated 'REVENUE PROTECTION' officers being followed around by a GTR rail enforcement officer. When did GTR bring back dedicated RPOs on board Southern services?
Perhaps they are deliberately coy about the comings and goings of revenue protection personnel on the basis of upholding the saying immortalised by the "Python" team "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition"?