• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Kensington long subway - opening hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taunton

Established Member
One just has to ask why the "Long subway" at South Kensington, running north under Exhibition Road, is closed at 10pm each evening, which is commonly just minutes before the various performances at the Albert Hall finish, with large crowds then needing to trek down Exhibition Road instead, and cross the main A4 Cromwell Road on the level to get to the station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
It's a TfL subway, it was originally built by the District Railway in Victorian times. I understand the question, because some station subways are the responsibility of the local authority, but this has Underground signage throughout (including the closing time). It is not staffed, so doesn't seem to need extra hours running costs.

It also has prominent internally-illuminated roundels outside each entrance. It would further aid things if these were switched off when the gates are pulled across; one constantly sees in the evening large numbers of visitors crossing the road to them, only to then find things closed.

jnjkerbin

Yes, it's deeply annoying when a concert ends just after 10 and you're forced to take the overground route, often with extended waits to cross the A4 and Thurloe Place. It seems silly to close it off just as several hundred people would find it very useful (especially if it's raining, which it always seems to be when I find it closed!).

I've also occasionally found it closed due to flooding after periods of heavy rain, but that's a different matter.

hermit

This is indeed a bit of a nonsense, but it’s a long-standing one. I‘m sure it’s been the case for as long as I’ve been going to the Albert Hall, getting on for 60 years.

I‘ve always assumed it was to do with shift patterns at South Kensington tube, and when they could spare a staff member to go up the tunnel to close the gates.

Leisurefirst

When I worked nearby I used the tube infrequently but when I did it seemed to be shut in the school holidays IIRC? For crowd control reasons presumably. Perhaps it's the same reason for shutting before the RAH empties out?
Very irritating when in a hurry for instance to touch in before peak times at 4pm.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
When I worked nearby I used the tube infrequently but when I did it seemed to be shut in the school holidays IIRC? For crowd control reasons presumably. Perhaps it's the same reason for shutting before the RAH empties out?
Very irritating when in a hurry for instance to touch in before peak times at 4pm.
I normally find the long subway a slow way of getting to South Kensington station - too many people walking slowly getting in the way!

If I'm in a hurry to get from the Royal Albert Hall to South Kensington station I walk along the eastern side of Exhibition Road which is normally much less busy nmeaning a brisk pace is possible. TBF you have to cross the Cromwell Road but this doesn't normally present too many difficulties.

Status
Not open for further replies.