• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Key + Annual Gold Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilm

Hi

I am looking at going to London Thameslink Stations from Haywards Heath once or maybe twice a week. My plan is to purchase an Annual Season ticket from Newhaven Town to Newhaven Harbour to get access to the gold card and then use the KeyGo and travel after 9:30 each day. I would therefore get Off-Peak Journeys at Railcard prices and also any other journeys I make at weekends etc will be discounted.

Could anyone confirm this is correct and I could just purchase the season ticket online and load it onto my keycard?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bubieyehyeh

Do you mean buying the gold card annual ticket on the key?
I used to buy the hatton-lapworth paper gold card which is slightly cheaper.

I had thought of doing similar, but wasn't sure if it would be easier buying the annual on the key.
I always bought my hatton-lapworth at marylebone, since two southern stations refused to sell it the first year I bought one, and one accused me of attempted fraud!

So I think it should work, but will be delighted to find out if it does.

The other option if you want a early start is to use keygo to gatwick, leave and re-enter with a oyster card (with annual rail card discount added). You can do the gatwick to london thamelink link off-peak if you tap in at gatwick before 6.30am or 9.30am-4pm

Last edited:

neilm

Yes exactly, I want buy the annual gold card online on the key as I believe it will then be loaded as a Railcard.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I purchased an Exeter Central to Exeter St Davids part-time annual season ticket this year.

Cost me £156 and came with a gold card. I purchased it at Haywards Heath and the person dealing with it worked out why I was buying it and seemed very happy to sell it.

With the part-time annual ticket, you choose which three weekdays you want, along with the weekend that is always included.

There has been debate on whether this should be issued on gold card stock. I'd argue it should as it is listed online as an annual season ticket and an annual season ticket is issued on gold cars stock within the gold card area.

neilm

Thanks, I think I will just buy the annual gold online and where it is loaded on to the key, it says a gold record cold will be posted out so seems like it should all be good.

paul1609

Established Member
Loading a railcard on the key is easy. You just take a photo of the railcard in the app. It's supposed to take up to 5 days for them to approve it but mine came back in 2 hours. You then just load the entitlement on the card using your smart phone. I only use paygo for simple journeys on the coastway but its worked flawlessly including the railcard discount so far.

[.n]

I purchased an Exeter Central to Exeter St Davids part-time annual season ticket this year.

Cost me £156 and came with a gold card. I purchased it at Haywards Heath and the person dealing with it worked out why I was buying it and seemed very happy to sell it.

With the part-time annual ticket, you choose which three weekdays you want, along with the weekend that is always included.

There has been debate on whether this should be issued on gold card stock. I'd argue it should as it is listed online as an annual season ticket and an annual season ticket is issued on gold cars stock within the gold card area.

This is the one I have (issued on gold card stock) - out of interest which 3 days did you choose? I genuinely gave it some thought as to what was the best theoretical option.

neilm

For that season ticket does it matter what 3 days you choose, does it impact the gold card?

infobleep

Veteran Member
This is the one I have (issued on gold card stock) - out of interest which 3 days did you choose? I genuinely gave it some thought as to what was the best theoretical option.
Wednesday to Friday. In August I was there on a Bank Holiday Monday so couldn't use the season ticket. I had a free South West Trains ticket any how.

bubieyehyeh

With these 3 day gold cards, can you use it to buy a gold card discounted ticket on one of the two unselected weekdays. I'm don't think I've seen a definitive answer.

infobleep

Veteran Member
With these 3 day gold cards, can you use it to buy a gold card discounted ticket on one of the two unselected weekdays. I'm don't think I've seen a definitive answer.
I believe so, as the Gold Card part is just a discount on tickets you buy and not a discount on the tickets on the days your annual season ticket can be used. It doesn't state that.

If one purchased a period return it would be complicated as you could use the return portion on some days and not others. For example, if you broke your journey on Sunday you might not be able to resume it until Wednesday, were this the case.

[.n]

For that season ticket does it matter what 3 days you choose, does it impact the gold card?

Doesn't seem to have an impact on the Gold Card

Wednesday to Friday. In August I was there on a Bank Holiday Monday so couldn't use the season ticket. I had a free South West Trains ticket any how.

Ah - I chose Tue-Wed-Thurs. My logic being I was very unlikely to ever want to travel on a Monday (and for Friday I do have a lot of SWT tickets!)

Yes, I don't see how it could be anything else - how would returns work otherwise? I've not got one, but also in you only had the Gold Card Record card (e.g. because you have a smartcard), then what information does that show compared to the actual Gold Card season ticket? I assumed it just showed valid until info only?

infobleep

Veteran Member
Doesn't seem to have an impact on the Gold Card

Ah - I chose Tue-Wed-Thurs. My logic being I was very unlikely to ever want to travel on a Monday (and for Friday I do have a lot of SWT tickets!)

Yes, I don't see how it could be anything else - how would returns work otherwise? I've not got one, but also in you only had the Gold Card Record card (e.g. because you have a smartcard), then what information does that show compared to the actual Gold Card season ticket? I assumed it just showed valid until info only?
Good point re the smart card. I have a smart card but don't have the season ticket on it. I thought it was easier to just renew the paper one.

Status
Not open for further replies.