• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Speeding Fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangie

Established Member
This is not in defence, I did it, I accept it.

Received a speeding letter this morning. Doing 36mph in a 30mph zone. It was on the A5 at Corwen North Wales driving back from a few days in Anglesey. I’ve driven this road many times but not for a few years.

What is making me mad inside is that in over 50 years of driving, this is my very first speeding ticket. I’m not mad with the speeding ticket itself, like I said I did it, I’m mad with myself for doing it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Guidelines, which are pretty much followed, eg at http://www.counsel.direct/news/2015/3/25/speeding-sentencing-guidelines.
1680273350242.png
You will get the option of taking a course, which you can do on-line nowadays or in person, for about £100 but then no penalty points on your license or - generally - any need to inform your car insurance company. £100+3 points otherwise, indeed.
Partial quote from the table:
Limit: 30
Device tolerance: 32
Speed awareness course, if appropriate and between: 35 and 42
Fixed penalty when course not appropriate and between: 35 to 49
Summons if a vehicle is travelling 50mph and over
Course is usually only not appropriate if the driver has been on one in less than 3 years before the date of the alleged offence, which clearly isn't the case here.
The course normally needs to be booked and completed within 4 months of the alleged offence, otherwise the police will revert to a summons because they have a 6-month time limit to bring a prosecution.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I was caught a few years ago and had to do the speed awareness course on Zoom (ironic name).

It can happen to the best of us - I was doing a leisurely 36 in what I wrongly thought was a 40 zone and was offered the course as it was indeed a 30mph area.

It was actually quite interesting and would have value to even the ordinary motorist who has never been caught.

My course was taught by this bloke:

He was, in spite of all that, an engaging and interesting course teacher.

ChrisC

Established Member
This is not in defence, I did it, I accept it.

Received a speeding letter this morning. Doing 36mph in a 30mph zone. It was on the A5 at Corwen North Wales driving back from a few days in Anglesey. I’ve driven this road many times but not for a few years.

What is making me mad inside is that in over 50 years of driving, this is my very first speeding ticket. I’m not mad with the speeding ticket itself, like I said I did it, I’m mad with myself for doing it.
Exactly the same thing happened to me this time last year. Received my first speeding letter after almost 50 years of driving. I was doing 35mph in a 30mph zone. It was on a fairly rural road, on the outskirts of a village. It was a road that I had driven along regularly over the years and it always used to have a 40mph limit. I genuinely forgot that the limit had been lowered to 30mph a couple of years previous. It was my fault, but I was so annoyed with myself.

I was offered a speed awareness course which I think cost me £90. Most of the options were via zoom, but I opted for an in person course at a venue near Sheffield. Looking back, I’m pleased that I opted for that, as doing the course with others, all who were mostly aged 60+, wasn’t a bad experience and probably better than via Zoom. It isn’t that the over 60s speed the most but I think they prefer an in person course whereas younger people probably prefer online.

steamybrian

Established Member
I also was caught last year doing 36 mph in a 30mph but mine was on a rural road in Wales with no other traffic or pedestrians around..! I was offered and took the speed awareness course on zoom which cost me £92 but avoided points on my licence. When my car insurance was about to be renewed recently I told the insurance company and they said it did not affect my premium as no points recorded on my licence.
The course was lead by a very good calm experienced man who was very informative. The attendees were all mature drivers as I was expected a number of "boy racers". Although he set a short quiz and asked several questions what surprised me was that several attendees failed to answer the most basic speed limit questions such as what was the maximum speed on a dual carriageway. There was no pass or fail marking but just attendance and answer questions when asked and take part in discussions.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’m another one to add to the list of doing 36 in a 30 (in the mother-law’s car in Northern Ireland. Nobody wants to get that screenshot first thing in the morning o_O).

I hadn’t had a speeding ticket for 24 years having got one previously in 1997. I also did the speed awareness course on Zoom and it was quite interesting actually. Unfortunately I then got pinged a month later for doing pretty much the same thing in Devon and had to take the points this time. Words cannot describe how stupid I still feel about that.

I now drive everywhere paying very close attention to the speed limit and I think my driving has hopefully improved having not learnt the lesson the first time.

Ken H

On Moderation
Best advice I got on the course was to be in an appropriate gear. Too high a gear and the car will try to run away with you.

I suppose in an automatic you dont drive all the time in D but use the 2 and 1 positions but I never asked cos I dont have an automatic.

Its been a good bit of advice
Now I use the limiter on my car all the time. Miles on a motorway at 50 its too easy to speed up. Set the limiter at 50 and chill.

dangie

Established Member
Received a speeding letter this morning. Doing 36mph in a 30mph zone. It was on the A5 at Corwen North Wales……
I had thought of adding a note to my filled in form stating extenuating circumstances for my speeding. This being that Corwen always appears to be a bit of a dump and permanently shut, so I was trying to get through it as quickly as possible. Not sure if this would hold any weight…..

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I had thought of adding a note to my filled in form stating extenuating circumstances for my speeding. This being that Corwen always appears to be a bit of a dump and permanently shut, so I was trying to get through it as quickly as possible. Not sure if this would hold any weight…..

Yes they definitely seem like the type of people that have a good sense of humour… :lol:

jfollows

Established Member
I've had 3 points for 70 in a 60 on the A5 near Shrewsbury, then 3 points for >80 on the M6 north of Preston, then a course for 57 in a 50 between Buxton and Congleton. Interestingly (to me) the majority of people on my course - and here - are for 30mph infractions. I think the cameras enforce penalties which would never have been enforced by the police beforehand.
I don't complain, in all cases I knew the limit and I knew the speed I was doing. In a lot of the 30mph cases people either don't know the limit or don't think at the time.
I used to drive at 95mph on motorways in the 1980s and 1990s, and knew I wouldn't get caught unless I overtook a police car. I now stick to about 80mph indicated (on my speedometer) maximum. It's probably better for me and for everyone else that I do!

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I got caught accidentally doing 26 in a 20 in Plymouth last year. £100 for the speed awareness course. I went along expecting it to be full of boy racers but at 52 I was the second youngest there. Very informative course too and not an egg sucking exercise.

jfollows

Established Member
I got caught accidentally doing 26 in a 20 in Plymouth last year. £100 for the speed awareness course. I went along expecting it to be full of boy racers but at 52 I was the second youngest there. Very informative course too and not an egg sucking exercise.
Despite my less than stellar record, I agree with you, the course I went on in lieu of points was interesting and I learned something, I don't agree with people who sneer at them. And I've not had any points on my licence since 5/5/05, which apparently was the day of a general election as well as being memorable for other reasons.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I was caught a few years ago and had to do the speed awareness course on Zoom (ironic name).

It can happen to the best of us - I was doing a leisurely 36 in what I wrongly thought was a 40 zone and was offered the course as it was indeed a 30mph area.

It was actually quite interesting and would have value to even the ordinary motorist who has never been caught.
I also did one via Zoom and I agree it was far more interesting than I expected it to be I don't agree it would, or at least should, have value to every motorist. I got 100% of the questions asked correct, and I think I was the only one who did. The questions were really stuff every motorist should know.

To put it into context I passed my test decades ago and haven't read the Highway Code since so if I knew all the answers it is quite scary nobody else on my course did.

Ediswan

Established Member
Everybody here has been complimentary about speed awareness courses. Are there any tips to pass on ?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Everybody here has been complimentary about speed awareness courses. Are there any tips to pass on ?

Yes I learnt that those road signs with numbers on tell you how fast you’re allowed to go.
Although unfortunately I didn’t manage to learn it straight away. :)

Ashley Hill

Established Member
To put it into context I passed my test decades ago and haven't read the Highway Code since
That’s probably the same for many of us,it’s surprising what you forget.
Go in with an open mind and you will get more out of it if you participate. Sadly several on my course just sat there waiting for it to be over.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Go in with an open mind and you will get more out of it if you participate. Sadly several on my course just sat there waiting for it to be over.

I’m certainly not saying that I’m the perfect driver but I was quite surprised at some of things the other people didn’t know.
Actually on your second point I think I was quite lucky in that everyone else seemed to engage with it, the instructor was good too.

jfollows

Established Member
I agree with others here - go with an open mind and know that you will learn something to your benefit. Cynicism isn’t appropriate - for sure some of the stuff will be obvious to you, but not to everyone else.

Ediswan

Established Member
I agree with others here - go with an open mind and know that you will learn something to your benefit. Cynicism isn’t appropriate - for sure some of the stuff will be obvious to you, but not to everyone else.
For clarity, I have not been invited to attend a speed awareness course. I was wondering if those who have learnt anything less obvious they could pass on.

Ken H

On Moderation
I’m certainly not saying that I’m the perfect driver but I was quite surprised at some of things the other people didn’t know.
Actually on your second point I think I was quite lucky in that everyone else seemed to engage with it, the instructor was good too.
Statutory speed limits..
How fast can you go in your vehicle when you pass a derestrictiin sign?
In a van
Car towing trailer
Dual carriageways and single.
How about a 4 lane road with just double white lines down the middle?

jfollows

Established Member
For clarity, I have not been invited to attend a speed awareness course. I was wondering if those who have learnt anything less obvious they could pass on.
Assume you're driving at 30mph and something - a child following a ball - blocks your path, and you brake and stop just before the obstruction. Assume instead that you were driving at 40mph, obviously you wouldn't stop in time, so what would your speed have been at your previous stopping point?
"Simple" logic says 10mph.
Reality is 30mph.
If you take this away then you've learned something - I did.

richw

Veteran Member
I suppose in an automatic you dont drive all the time in D but use the 2 and 1 positions but I never asked cos I dont have an automatic.
I assume you haven’t seen a modern automatic. Mine doesn’t have 1 and 2 positions, and is a lot smarter than automatics from times gone by.
I’ve got E- economy (changes at lower rpm), S - sport (changes at higher Rpm) or manual mode where you flick the stick to the left and then back and forward to go down and up through gears.
Going down hill it downshifts to a suitable gear to prevent run away, and holds its speed. It’s a 7 speed dual clutch system, and huge improvements over the auto boxes of the 90s.
It has the option to apply a set speed on the dash too, I always set it to the limit and it does the rest for me. No issues with speeding since

Ostrich

A friend of mine did a Speed Awareness Course a few years back for something like 36 in a 30 zone.
The main lesson he got out of the course - which I've since done my best to adopt myself - is:
30 zone - no more than 3rd gear,
20 zone - no more than 2nd gear.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
How about a 4 lane road with just double white lines down the middle?

When I did my speed awareness course a few years ago, I was absolutely astonished how many people thought that was a dual carriageway. The general standard of ‘road knowledge’ was frankly poor, and about a third of those attending were professional drivers.

Personally I didn’t learn anything, except that when asked by the trainers (both ex coppers) “so why were you speeding“ that acceptable answers are ‘I didn’t know the limit’, ‘I was late and in a rush’, ‘the kids were playing up’, ‘I didnt realise what speed I was going’. Don’t do what I did, and say “because I like driving fast”.

(87 on the M6. I saw the camera van 400metres away and braked hard which saved me from a fixed penalty. Really annoyed as I was being overtaken at the time)

Zamracene749

I assume you haven’t seen a modern automatic. Mine doesn’t have 1 and 2 positions, and is a lot smarter than automatics from times gone by.
I’ve got E- economy (changes at lower rpm), S - sport (changes at higher Rpm) or manual mode where you flick the stick to the left and then back and forward to go down and up through gears.
Going down hill it downshifts to a suitable gear to prevent run away, and holds its speed. It’s a 7 speed dual clutch system, and huge improvements over the auto boxes of the 90s.
It has the option to apply a set speed on the dash too, I always set it to the limit and it does the rest for me. No issues with speeding since
Ford/VolvoPowershift? If it is , sell it now before it goes horribly and expensively wrong- the whole set up depends on bits of nylon, which wear and block the internal oil strainer leading to ruin, or they just break, bits of nylon block the solenoids and you lose all gears!
Learned all this the hard way, had to scrap an otherwise immaculate Volvo S40 Lux at only 110000 miles <(

When I did my speed awareness course a few years ago, I was absolutely astonished how many people thought that was a dual carriageway. The general standard of ‘road knowledge’ was frankly poor, and about a third of those attending were professional drivers.

Personally I didn’t learn anything, except that when asked by the trainers (both ex coppers) “so why were you speeding“ that acceptable answers are ‘I didn’t know the limit’, ‘I was late and in a rush’, ‘the kids were playing up’, ‘I didnt realise what speed I was going’. Don’t do what I did, and say “because I like driving fast”.

(87 on the M6. I saw the camera van 400metres away and braked hard which saved me from a fixed penalty. Really annoyed as I was being overtaken at the time)
What surprised me when I did mine, about 5 years ago, was how shockingly stupid some people are.

When asked what one should do if you feel somebody is tailgating and 'pushing you along', one person replied 'just slam the brakes on, speed up then do it again to teach them'.

The carriageway vs lane thing caught almost the whole group out too.
PS when they show you the slide and ask how many pencils you can count, just read the words on the photo. Using illusionist tricks to reinforce safety didn't impress me, I've never had to look out for errant pencils whilst driving 8-)

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
PS when they show you the slide and ask how many pencils you can count, just read the words on the photo. Using illusionist tricks to reinforce safety didn't impress me, I've never had to look out for errant pencils whilst driving 8-)

Yes it is a blunt tool :D

Status
Not open for further replies.