• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach West - Fleet News & Discussion

smckane

Stagecoach in Gloucestershire getting poor press in today's BBC News report. Declining to comment whilst legally probably quite wise, doesn't look good...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-62900926
Secondary school pupils are being left on the side of the road or arriving late due to frequent bus cancellations, it has been claimed.
Stagecoach West, which has been accused of "failing" to deliver services, said previously that it facing a driver shortage and may reduce rural services.
David van der Meulen, from Cheltenham, said he has seen more than 60 students waiting for cancelled buses.
Stagecoach has declined to comment on the latest criticism.

And now they're rolling back the services on offer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-62996071
Stagecoach West has informed Gloucestershire County Council it plans to stop running some of its tendered bus services.
The bus operator, which has been accused of "failing" to deliver services, previously said it was facing a driver shortage.
Managing director Rachel Geliamassi said its priority was to successfully deliver the most used services.
The firm said it could not yet confirm which services will be affected.
The changes are expected to take place from mid-November.

Do other local operators have the facility to rapidly take up the routes Stagecoach are about to drop?
Do we think this will actually make anything better?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CharlesR

Do we think this will actually make anything better?
From what I am told, it is part of a wider set of service changes which will come in November. Ultimately, things have to change - it seems to get worse every day

Callum15632

I have found out that 37011 (a Stroud Depot Vehicle) is apparently tracking in Bristol on route 11. I have now found out that this is 18314 as I saw it today on route 11.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Does anybody know if the West Gold Dayrider is valid on the S2 from Cheltenham to Oxford?

Was thinking of doing it next week but a quick check on the journey planner shows that if you go on the S2 the only ticket valid is the weekly Mega Gold rider which is £29! I know when it was the 853 there was a £10 ticket exclusively to Oxford on that, then standard Gold dayriders were valid up to Burford.

The only option valid on the West Gold Dayrider is apparently on the 51 to Swindon then the S6 to Oxford, but that's one hell of a detour!

LordCreed

Does anybody know if the West Gold Dayrider is valid on the S2 from Cheltenham to Oxford?

Was thinking of doing it next week but a quick check on the journey planner shows that if you go on the S2 the only ticket valid is the weekly Mega Gold rider which is £29! I know when it was the 853 there was a £10 ticket exclusively to Oxford on that, then standard Gold dayriders were valid up to Burford.

The only option valid on the West Gold Dayrider is apparently on the 51 to Swindon then the S6 to Oxford, but that's one hell of a detour!

The West Gold Dayrider is valid on all Stagecoach West and Stagecoach Oxford routes, so you'll be absolutely fine using it.

It's listed on the Oxford day ticket page, and I've had no issues using them:

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation

The West Gold Dayrider can be used on any Stagecoach West & Oxfordshire bus, plus Oxford Bus Company and Thames Travel within Oxford city.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
The West Gold Dayrider is valid on all Stagecoach West and Stagecoach Oxford routes, so you'll be absolutely fine using it.

It's listed on the Oxford day ticket page, and I've had no issues using them:

The West Gold Dayrider can be used on any Stagecoach West & Oxfordshire bus, plus Oxford Bus Company and Thames Travel within Oxford city.
Thanks both, I thought as such because the map for the West Gold Dayrider covers everywhere but the journey planner states otherwise!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Is the latter part of that correct?

Oxford SmartZone tickets are valid on all Stagecoach and Go Ahead services.

However, not certain that a Gold Dayrider is valid on Go Ahead? Have you a link?

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Is the latter part of that correct?

Oxford SmartZone tickets are valid on all Stagecoach and Go Ahead services.

However, not certain that a Gold Dayrider is valid on Go Ahead? Have you a link?

No, but the paper ticket I bought said something along the lines of "Valid on all Stagecoach services + OBC + TT in the Smartzone area"

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
No, but the paper ticket I bought said something along the lines of "Valid on all Stagecoach services + OBC + TT in the Smartzone area"
Oxford Smartzone tickets are inter available but in South Oxfordshire, go ahead ones are not valid on Stagecoach.

Stagecoach Oxfordshire Country Dayrider isn’t valid on Go Ahead so I doubt the West dayrider would be.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Oxford Smartzone tickets are inter available but in South Oxfordshire, go ahead ones are not valid on Stagecoach.

Stagecoach Oxfordshire Country Dayrider isn’t valid on Go Ahead so I doubt the West dayrider would be.

On the other hand, Go-Ahead's Go Anywhere ticket (which can be used on any Oxford Bus Company and Thames Travel bus except for the airline) can be used on Stagecoach services within the Oxford city area.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
On the other hand, Go-Ahead's Go Anywhere ticket (which can be used on any Oxford Bus Company and Thames Travel bus except for the airline) can be used on Stagecoach services within the Oxford city area.
Is it valid? On the OBC website, it says
From the picturesque architecture in Oxford to the stylish Oracle shopping centre in Reading, our new Go-Anywhere day ticket will get you there. The Go-Anywhere day ticket can be purchased directly from your bus driver. The Go-Anywhere ticket can only be purchased on Thames Travel and Oxford Bus Company buses.
I’d like it to be but can’t see any inter availability except the Smartzone tickets

1 day of travel on all Stagecoach, Oxford Bus and Thames Travel services in Oxford.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
@TheGrandWazoo Here's proof that the Stagecoach Dayriders are valid on Go Ahead in Oxford city:
I didn't doubt your word and it's good you have it in black and white on the ticket.

However, there is nothing online anywhere to suggest that it is valid, and when you look at the Stagecoach day tickets, validity on Oxford Bus is specified on the Smartzone and Smartzone 24 tickets. Oxford Plus Dayrider says

The ticket is available from the driver and is valid on all Oxford Bus Company and Thames Travel services (except NU1 and NU5) within the Oxford SmartZone and on night buses (starting with an N). The App equivalent ticket is only valid on Stagecoach buses
Nothing in the West Goldrider except to say it's not valid on the Oxford Tube or the Swindon Bus Company.

All a bit odd but good if it is

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Stagecoach Swindon are revising some times and withdrawing the 54, but we do see some improvement made to the 55 which means that rail services sort-of connect at Chippenham.

Service changes in Swindon from Sunday 30th October 2022

We are making some changes to our services in Swindon from Sunday 30th October 2022.

6 – We’re making changes to service 6 to increase capacity and better suit shift change times at Symmetry Park Amazon, meeting the needs of our commuters.
View 6 timetable from 30th October

7 – We’re introducing new additional journeys on Sundays which are timed to fit around shift start and end times at South Marston Park for workers who start or finish at 0600 and 2200. This now means we provide these shift time connections every day of the week.
View 7 timetable from 30th October

9 – We’re introducing an additional evening bus to Wroughton, departing Swindon Bus Station at 2105.
View 9 timetable from 30th October

10 – We’re amending the route of service 10 around Freshbrook and Link Centre (more details below). Buses will now run at a reduced frequency of every 20 minutes Mondays to Saturdays and every 30 minutes on Sundays.
Due to low passenger usage we will no longer run journeys to Windmill Hill Business Park, all journeys will now run the same new revised route via Link Centre to Freshbrook. After Toothill buses will now run via Link Centre in both directions. From Toothill to Freshbrook and back the route runs via Idovers Drive, Stokesay Drive, Pevensey Way, Ashington Way, Corton Crescent, Link Avenue, Whitehill Way, Gainsborough Way, Rowton Heath Way, Worsley Road, Liskeard Way, Gainsborough Way, Whitehill Way, Link Avenue, Corton Crescent, Ashington Way, Pevensey Way, Stokesay Drive and Idovers Drive. Buses will no longer run via Freshbrook Way.
View 10 timetable from 30th October

54 – Service withdrawn due to poor passenger numbers.

55 – This route will now run between Swindon and Chippenham every 20 minutes on Mondays to Saturdays and every 30 minutes on Sundays. We’ll no longer run any journeys to Lydiard Fields Business Park or Royal Wootton Bassett New Road.
View 55 timetable from 30th October

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/service-updates/serviceupdatesarticle?

LordCreed

Stagecoach Swindon are revising some times and withdrawing the 54, but we do see some improvement made to the 55 which means that rail services sort-of connect at Chippenham.

An improvement for Chippenham, but a reduction in services for Bassett, and a significant portion of Bassett that now sees no services.

Callum15632

Does anyone know the event that is going on in Bristol today as there are 15738, 15769, 15977, 15978 and 15981 at UWE Frenchay campus outside it?

Last edited by a moderator:

GoneSouth

It was https://fixr.co/event/invades-cheltenham-the-october-meet-races-day-part-tickets-693335280

Passed 5 e400mmcs of the Gloucester 10 fleet on the A46 near Cold Ashton
If this is true and they did supply so many buses and drivers for this event then they deserve bashing in the local media.

On one hand they do press and radio interviews to say how hard they are finding recruitment and retention, pleading victim of Brexit, covid and Gloucestershire County Council, on the other they deliberately leave huge gaps in services which local people rely on for work, education, health and leisure.

It’s hard to sympathise with them when they treat their regular customers with such contempt

freetoview33

Established Member
Will stagecoach lose their contract for Bristol routes seeing as they got warned from Council last time they did an event?
Doubt it for two reasons one West of England Combined Authority (WECA) deal with tenders now and not the council.
Two not exactly anyone else lining up to take on more routes.

GoneSouth

No ifs about it - passed them myself. All had Cheltenham Invades on displays.

Another 5 older enviros on M4 near Pucklechurch - displays blank though
Thanks. Where the hell is Pucklechurch ? :?:

For all the pleading for sympathy and claiming none of the problems are their fault, they’re certainly doing a fine job of trashing the small amount of good will that remains!

volvob12

No ifs about it - passed them myself. All had Cheltenham Invades on displays.

Another 5 older enviros on M4 near Pucklechurch - displays blank though
I saw a post about them on Farcebook yesterday. A quick look on BusTimes(!) and there were around 15 deckers working the services from Bristol and Bath to Cheltenham.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Thanks. Where the hell is Pucklechurch ? :?:

For all the pleading for sympathy and claiming none of the problems are their fault, they’re certainly doing a fine job of trashing the small amount of good will that remains!

A village located east of Bristol and south of Yate. First West of England 47 and Stagecoach West 620 go there