• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations which receive a better service on strike days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I think it was the unite strike that EMR had a year or so back the Derby to Crewe service ran every hour including the missing services which are not in the normal timetable.

Bishopstone

Established Member
Berwick and Glynde see two trains per hour in today’s strike timetable (Eastbourne-Brighton), whereas both receive only one call per hour in the regular timetable.

Steven Taylor

I was on Platform 13 (Southern Down Main) at Clapham Junction last Saturday around Noon (26th August) and was bemused that they were running as follows (Note: There were other trains such as East Grinstead).

1) A non-stop service from CJ to Gatwick Airport only - reminding me of a time around 1991 when a non-stop service existed on Saturday only for a year or two.

2) Restoration of a direct service to Brighton calling at East Croydon, Gatwick Airport and Brighton taking under an hour (under 50 minutes if I recollect correctly).

The lack of a direct Brighton service from CJ now, apart from Sundays is a real annoyance to me. as I used to, on a whim, zap over to CJ, a 5 minute walk from my home, and go to Brighton in under 50 minutes, with the service only calling at East Croydon.

tynesider

St. Peters usually receives a couple of direct services from Kings Cross as a result of Sunderland closing at 19:00 on RMT strike days

PGAT

Established Member
Selhurst gets fast Victoria - East Grinstead services in exchange for the London Bridge - East Croydon train not running. These aforementioned East Grinstead trains are also half-hourly all day as opposed to hourly

Javelin_55

Aldrington.
Normally hourly in each direction outside the peak, GTR's off-the-shelf strike timetable has it half hourly pretty much all day.

PTR 444

Established Member
Esher, Hersham, Byfleet & New Haw. 2tph during normal service but double that during the strikes.

PGAT

Established Member
Yesterday the Seaford and Eastbourne trains were all 8 cars which means stations like Moulsecoomb, Glynde and Bishopstone all had slightly more capacity than usual

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Local stops between Huddersfield and Leeds don't get an increase in frequency, but do get through service to York and Manchester in the hours that a train runs. Also six car formations rather than the usual three.

NSE

Established Member
The SWR service via Hounslow went every 15 minutes to Windsor. Giving Windsor and Eton double the frequency. No longer commute their so couldn’t say if it was this time around.

HST43257

Established Member
The SWR service via Hounslow went every 15 minutes to Windsor. Giving Windsor and Eton double the frequency. No longer commute their so couldn’t say if it was this time around.
I travelled the route yesterday and they had:

2tph Waterloo to Windsor
2tph Waterloo to Ascot

For some reason variable by direction which service went via Hounslow and which went via Richmond.

End result is eg Ashford (Surrey/Middlesex) got a normal 4tph with a few extra stops, but a service to Ascot where normally it’d go to Weybridge.

NSE

Established Member
I travelled the route yesterday and they had:

2tph Waterloo to Windsor
2tph Waterloo to Ascot

For some reason variable by direction which service went via Hounslow and which went via Richmond.

End result is eg Ashford (Surrey/Middlesex) got a normal 4tph with a few extra stops, but a service to Ascot where normally it’d go to Weybridge.
That’s interesting to read. Last time round it was 4tph via Hounslow, all to Windsor. Interesting to see how it changes

Oli Bashford

Selhurst gets fast Victoria - East Grinstead services in exchange for the London Bridge - East Croydon train not running. These aforementioned East Grinstead trains are also half-hourly all day as opposed to hourly
What happened to East Grinstead? I used to live there and afaik it was half hourly service all day, 4tph in the peak with the extra 2 going to London Bridge (became TL).

PGAT

Established Member
What happened to East Grinstead? I used to live there and afaik it was half hourly service all day, 4tph in the peak with the extra 2 going to London Bridge (became TL).
It’s now hourly off-peak, 2tph in the shoulder peak and 4tph in high peak

SWT_USER

That’s interesting to read. Last time round it was 4tph via Hounslow, all to Windsor. Interesting to see how it changes
Possibly different now following the closure of Feltham signal box. I understand everything went via Hounslow on strike days because it was controlled from there but the line via Richmond was controlled from Basingstoke.

HST43257

Established Member
Possibly different now following the closure of Feltham signal box. I understand everything went via Hounslow on strike days because it was controlled from there but the line via Richmond was controlled from Basingstoke.
And/or the fact that NR signallers are no longer involved in strikes perhaps?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
And/or the fact that NR signallers are no longer involved in strikes perhaps?
Correct answer. 2tph via Twickenham was already implemented on RMT strike days prior to Feltham box closing this past weekend.

Twickenham was always the "higher priority" route to operate where possible compared to Hounslow, but the latter should not really be abandoned especially if Brentford are playing at home. The current balance is about right, short of adding additional services which would then necessitate the use of additional platforms at Waterloo (not an issue in itself, but bear in mind dispatch resources would be constrained on those days too).

swr444

It changed once the NR signallers accepted their deal and weren’t striking anymore.

(Just seen this was already mentioned, apologies.)

Status
Not open for further replies.