• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Isha may affect your journey in parts of England, Scotland and Wales on Sunday 21 and Monday 22 January

Status
Not open for further replies.

There are fatalities on the roads every single day. Sadly this week's storms will likely result in some.

I think there's been one passenger fatality on the railways since Greyrigg in 2007, so I'm happy for them to stick with the "tied up it knots" approach.
Carmont after a weather event in 2020

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

800Travel

Not if you elect to delay your journey, no.
Oh right - I know that normally if we just decide not to travel we can’t get delay repay, but wondered if with LNER’s do not travel, travel tomorrow instead advice if this would have changed.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Oh right - I know that normally if we just decide not to travel we can’t get delay repay, but wondered if with LNER’s do not travel, travel tomorrow instead advice if this would have changed.

I'm fairly sure not.

If however your train is cancelled so you *could not* travel, arguably it is. Though I don't know if in these circumstances the cancellations are effectively P coded so not?

Willie Bee

As per my earlier posts, I have already cancelled my proposed journey for tomorrow (Newcastle to Carlisle) and informed Northern Rail

I was also planning a day trip to Leeds on Tuesday (23rd) tickets for which I bought a few days ago in the TPE sale .. £2 total

I'm not sure everything will be Ok again by Tuesday, but getting a refund of £2 would not be my preferred option.

Future

Route proving trains will run before other trains can leave depot tomorrow (20mph max to inspect ALL lines). This applies across the national network. Route proving expectedly to be compete 05:00-06:00hrs tomorrow depending on driver availability.

MarkWi72

Will this wind affect freightliner/intermodals? Wasn’t it Feb 2007 when containers were blown off the trains at Ledburn Jn?

Dan G

I am travelling from Newcastle to Carlisle (return) tomorrow with an advance ticket.

It seems warnings against travel are being given.. If I choose not to travel, would I get .. a replacement return ticket for another date, my money back, or none of these ?

I got a cheap deal, which is far less than the normal ' walk on ticket price' so getting my money back wouldn't really be ideal
Unless I've missed something, if you're traveling tomorrow, you'll be fine. The warnings against travel are for tonight.

Rich1974

Route proving trains will run before other trains can leave depot tomorrow (20mph max to inspect ALL lines). This applies across the national network. Route proving expectedly to be compete 05:00-06:00hrs tomorrow depending on driver availability.
Where are you getting your information from? I'm on the first Gatwick tomorrow from Reading and I can guarantee you nothing will run before me.

Future

Where are you getting your information from? I'm on the first Gatwick tomorrow from Reading and I can guarantee you nothing will run before me.
A contact who has access to TyrellCheck. I can ask them to double-check.

Rich1974

A contact who has access to TyrellCheck. I can ask them to double-check.
It's okay, thought you worked for the Railway the way you was talking, like I said I very much doubt any train will run in front of mine to check the line is clear.....I expect I'll be doing that whilst in service

Dan G

Slightly confusing messages on the National Rail Isha page if you compare between ToCs, e.g. Thameslink (and Southern)
A network-wide 50mph restriction will be introduced from 18.00, which will lead to later arrivals on some journeys.
But for GWR
Speed restrictions due to severe weather may be in place between Bristol Temple Meads and Chippenham, and between Slough and Didcot Parkway. If this is the case, trains are still expected to run, but trains running through these areas will be delayed by at least 35-40 minutes.

A speed restriction will also be in place between Neath and Swansea causing delays of 15-20 minutes to those journeys.

So it seems "network-wide" is certain ToCs network-wide, not Network Rail network-wide.

Magdalia

Established Member
Unless I've missed something, if you're traveling tomorrow, you'll be fine. The warnings against travel are for tonight.
Yes, you have missed something. Many lines will have multiple obstructions tomorrow, especially fallen trees. There is limited resources for dealing with those.

Dan G

Yes, you have missed something. Many lines will have multiple obstructions tomorrow, especially fallen trees. There is limited resources for dealing with those.
Unless William is booked particularly early Network Rail will have sorted everything out by quite early tomorrow. They are very good at what they do.

As always, the correct advice will be to check his booked train in the morning. No point worrying about it being cancelled before it actually is.

The Puddock

Will this wind affect freightliner/intermodals? Wasn’t it Feb 2007 when containers were blown off the trains at Ledburn Jn?

Yes it will. The Network Rail 'Freight wind warning service' is currently showing red for every route in the country (the first time I've seen this!) until 06:00 on Tuesday 23rd January which means -

When a Freight Wind Warning is in place, any trains which include FEA(B), FEA(E) or FEA(S) vehicles conveying empty containers shall not enter traffic without first having empty containers either removed from the train, mechanically locked to the wagons or changed to wagons with UIC compliant spigots.

Banham7

It does appear Grantham is now down to single line working through Platform 4, both Platform 1 and Platform 2 are blocked and services are queuing just beyond the station Northbound and Southbound.
bxmSYVn3Fx.png

Trackman

Established Member
Which essentially means what, in even plainer English? Everything is halted/terminated at next available station?
Black is a threshold of CSL2. A blockage greater or expected to be over 4 hours.. widespread disruptions across the network etc..

Wivenswold

Established Member
And we're still several hours from the peak of this storm. There's a chance of short-track tornadoes forming in some of the heavier showers along the west coast of the UK, there's already been one reported near Cork.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
And we're still several hours from the peak of this storm. There's a chance of short-track tornadoes forming in some of the heavier showers along the west coast of the UK, there's already been one reported near Cork.
Do you think flights will remain troubled tomorrow as well as rail then? I'm due to fly in from Poland at around 4pm, haha.

Established Member
It does appear Grantham is now down to single line working through Platform 4, both Platform 1 and Platform 2 are blocked and services are queuing just beyond the station Northbound and Southbound.
bxmSYVn3Fx.png
Platform 1 available for non stop up services, any calling services on up to use platform 4.

2 x 8ft roof panels have blown off (away from track).

Established Member
Reports of tree on overheads between Dunbar and Edinburgh. 1131 Bristol to Edinburgh been at a stand for 90 mins

GB

Established Member

That was more due to the design of the spigots on certain wagons, they were since modified to stop that sort of thing happening with other mitigations also put in place.

RooseWithAZed

With regards to the WCML, is it me or did they extend the closure between Lancaster and Warrington today? I swear that I saw Avanti were running between after 12:00 when I checked on Friday but then yesterday it said buses all day. My journey home from Warrington seemed to take forever since the TM said that the Trent Valley was closed and there were speed restrictions either way, but it ran to time.

Established Member
Reports of tree on overheads between Dunbar and Edinburgh. 1131 Bristol to Edinburgh been at a stand for 90 mins
Correct at Markle. Tree has blown over onto the Overheads.
OHL is confirmed as down with wires fouling the Up line.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Slightly confusing messages on the National Rail Isha page if you compare between ToCs, e.g. Thameslink (and Southern)

But for GWR

So it seems "network-wide" is certain ToCs network-wide, not Network Rail network-wide.

It would theoretically be based on every Network Rail region, not TOC network.

However every NR region could agree on a 50mph speed restriction, which would in effect make it nationwide.

Rich1974

It would theoretically be based on every Network Rail region, not TOC network.

However every NR region could agree on a 50mph speed restriction, which would in effect make it nationwide.
No current blanket speed restrictions on GWR routes, only parts at present.

Status
Not open for further replies.